RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision

Thread: Thompson SMG

Thompson SMG

I don't know anyhting about these guns but a guy had one at the LGS and wanted 800 for it. It is a side cocker with a serial number of KC1776. It is less than perfect for overall condition but it is not bad. Anyone know where or when it was manufactured? It did say THompson on the frame but nothing on he barrel.
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Banned
    I forget all of the companies that have made Thompson sub gun knock-offs, but there where several. They are all semi-auto copies, some made by Auto-Ordinance and some not. The receiver marking doesn't mean much but I don't recall seeing such markings on real U.S M1 sub gun receivers so even if it's a parts gun, I'm not sure of the receiver's origin. I think $800 is a bit high for what is essentially a noval copy.

Yup...The markings are not even close to a "real" Thompson....So....what would a knock off be worth?
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Banned
    That's up to you .

I know Auto Ordinance made semi auto versions and Kahr had the rights for a while (maybe still do). There are some cheaper knock offs as well. I would like to have an original WWII model but they are far out of my reach at this point.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Kahr currently holds the licenses for the Auto Ordinance products unless something has recently changed. The Thompsons they are producing are actually pretty good reproductions of the originals as long as you don't look at that goofy long barrel sticking out the front to make them legal.

Most of the knock offs are selling in the $1000 to $1500 range, so use judgement when considering something used.

Original Thompsons are out there to be had. I would love to have one but considering they are valued equivalent to a starter home or new truck, I can't bring myself to even contemplate the purchase.

Boolit Buddy
    If it's an actual auto-ordnance or kahr closed bolt semi carbine (milled steel/aluminum receiver) in excellent condition then $800 is reasonable.

If it's a volunteer arms or some other clone (stamped steel or pot metal receiver) then it's only worth about half that. If it doesn't have the legally required markings (company name, company location, serial number, caliber) then I would think twice about buying it.

All the Thompson clones look cool and that's about it, they have too many design and quality issues to be taken seriously for anything but shooting beer cans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Arms View Post
    they have too many design and quality issues to be taken seriously for anything but shooting beer cans.
    And some of them aren't even good for that! I had a buddy a few years ago that had one of the Volunteer Arms (I think they were later called Commando Arms) made in Tn and that thing must have been someone's idea of a bad joke.

Boolit Buddy

Had an Auto Ordnance Thompson once, but sold it quickly - I felt that I was much more dangerous with a Colt 1911.

In Remembrance

A friend of a buddy of mine bought a 2nd hand Commando Arms "Thompson". It didn`t take long to find out why it was used. That thing wouldn`t feed right with any of 5 different mags he bought for it. About as bad was the fact it wanted to "stove pipe" with any type of ammo used in it. After a Summer of this mess with it he traded it off.Robert

Boolit Master
    Two possible issues of the Thompson reproductions are reciol springs that aren't up to snuff and magazine latches that don't extend far enough to positively lock a magazine in place.
    I looked up some issues of the repros when someone started ranting about the STEN being a better SMG than the Thompson.
    All the supposed shortcomings of the Thompson were actually short comings of the semi auto clones not the WW2 production military models.

There were a couple of unusual Thompson prototypes built as semi auto hunting rifles. These used a longer cased version of the .45ACP , IIRC developed by Remington. These had a 14" barrel and used special stick magazines only.
    A similar squad auto version with bipod and bayonet lug was also developed.
    Police departments found the stick mags made for the longer cartridge would fit the standard Thompson and used these to feed .45 ACP Shot cartridges for riot control. That would be a real rainstorm of shot.
    Normally when shot cartridges are used against unarmed crowds they would aim at the ground in front of the target so the pellets would bounce and lose most of their velocity before striking the target's legs. The individual impacts being more like that of airgun pellets. Dozens of small bloody wounds rather than flesh ripped from the bone.

A .30 carbine version was tested, and a few prototypes were made that were chambered for various pistol cartridges like the .38 Super auto and 7.65 luger.

Boolit Master

Had a CPT in my S-2 shop at Campbell that did WWII reactments and SBR'd his Auto Ordinance M1 Thompson. It worked with his .45 ACP blanks and live ammo. Fired a friends semi auto AO 16" carbine back in 2011 in NC that worked with most of his mags (one mag did have feed issues, possible feed lip bent). Best to feed them FMJ/round nose ammo.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'