Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >45-70, 405 grain, velocity and bear

>45-70, 405 grain, velocity and bear

I'm looking for some opinions on using a 405gr RNFP (Coated Missouri boolits) and velocity for black bear with my Henry .45-70. I want to keep it out of the "shoulder breaking" range and have found that 1500 - 1600 fps is a nice load to shoot. Is this adequate for Pennsy black bear? I have been working with Varget, IMR 4198 and am currently loading some with IMR 3031. Thus far the most accurate load has been with 48.0 grains of Varget giving a velocity of right around 1500 fps (2 inch group at 100 yds). Increasing the charge widens the group.

Thanks

Rick
    Last edited by palabman; 10-21-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I don't no how large those blackies get up north but down here your loads are quite addequit you henry is a strong action and well built gun I prefer my 1886 Win. and you could beef it up a little if you want to I shoot the lyman 457193 anywhere between 1350 and 1900 and all loads give good performance even out to 300 yards the powders you are useing are just fine i use them myself and have been shooting this old war horse cartridge for over 30 years.

Boolit Master
    And then some. Moly (black) coated? 1200-1800 will take a bear no sweat. How do you like that Henry?

That's good to hear. After reading some of the forums a lot of guys are loading them to 1800 - 1900 fps and when I tried Varget above 50 grains it gave a pretty good thump. I was shooting the rifle from a "lead sled" and I don't know if I'd like it to much straight from the bench.

As for the Henry, I really like it so far. Some complain about the use of the loading tube rather than the gate but I like the tube. Another complaint is the use of the ghost ring receiver sight rather than the rear buckhorn. You do have to remove the ghost ring to mount a scope but again this isn't an issue with me. I just don't consider a scope failure enough of an issue these days to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    Moly (black) coated?
    They are powder coated.

24-25 grains of 2400 will produce the velocity you are looking for. I am shooting 24.3/2400 with 1.5 grains of dacron filler and I'm impressed every time take it out. It's a checked and lubed 405 grain boolit at 1500 FPS. I didn't see any bear but got some pictures of a Fischer in the game camera.
    With twice the Taylor knock Out compared to an average 44 revolver, very good bear medicine IMO.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Cast Hunter

I have been shooting the RCBS 45-405-FN in my Marlin 45-70 using Varget and getting good accuracy. I installed a Limb Saver recoil pad which did help tame recoil. You should be fine at 1500 - 1600 fps.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    24-25 grains of 2400 will produce the velocity you are looking for. I am shooting 24.3/2400 with 1.5 grains of dacron filler and I'm impressed every time take it out. It's a checked and lubed 405 grain boolit at 1500 FPS. I didn't see any bear but got some pictures of a Fischer in the game camera.
    With twice the Taylor knock Out compared to an average 44 revolver, very good bear medicine IMO.
    Will polyester aquarium filter floss work?

Boolit Buddy
    1300 fps and a 400 grain bullet killed millions of buffalo....a black bear will be a piece of cake for that load. It will clean the bear on a broadside shot and dig a deep ditch on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post
    I'm not sure, if it looks like it came out of a stuffed toy animal then it might be worth a try. Members here have bought rolls of the material and cut it into squares too. So far I have been using the white fluffy fill used in stuffed toys. What I do is charge the cases with powder and double check the charge in each case, like using a flash light or other method for the height of the powder column in the cases before pushing the filler in. Then I pinch off 1.5 grain sized chunks and measure them for weight in the scale. In other words there is plenty of room for too much of this powder and the filler just keeps the powder against the primer. There is a lot more on using fillers here if you do some searching. I think it's mostly used for powders that are harder to ignite and where case volume is high.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

My kill anything that walks on the planet round:

42 grains of reloader 7 will push that 405gr 1750fps, and nothing will survive
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Thanks for the responses. My load of 48 grs of Varget is giving me 1500 fps and 2.5 inch groups at 100 yds. Now all I have to do is find me a bear.

Boolit Grand Master
    although not a 405 I shoot a 420 gr with 47.0 gr 3031 get real excellent accuracy out of my #1
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by snapshot View Post
    ..... I shoot the lyman 457193 anywhere between 1350 and 1900 and all loads give good performance even out to 300 yards the powders you are useing are just fine i use them myself and have been shooting this old war horse cartridge for over 30 years.
    snapshot, what are you using for a wad between your powder and the PB Lyman 457193? Or are you? the Lyman book says stay <1600 or danger of leading...

Banned

405 grs of bhn 11 lead at 1400 fps has killed everything from ant's to buffalo.
    I doubt a bear barely tougher than a mule deer will pose any issues.

Boolit Grand Master
    I shot 2 black bears with 46 gr of H322 and a 420 plain base. It went 1650 or so. Total overkill.

Bears died quite quickly, bullets passed thru easily. If I hunt them again I will run the same bullet with 24 gr of 2400. It runs 1350 in my Marlin, is more comfortable to shoot, and will do all I need done.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I shot 2 black bears with 46 gr of H322 and a 420 plain base. It went 1650 or so. Total overkill.

Bears died quite quickly, bullets passed thru easily. If I hunt them again I will run the same bullet with 24 gr of 2400. It runs 1350 in my Marlin, is more comfortable to shoot, and will do all I need done.
    So do you use a wad of any kind under that PB?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by palabman View Post
    It was used by many in the days of the Buffalo hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
    So do you use a wad of any kind under that PB?
    Pmer said earlier in the thread that he was using 1.5 gr of dacron filler over the powder. I think he was using 24.5 gr of 2400.

Banned

22-24 grs of 2400 with or without Dacron is a super popular load.
    I use both of them with and without the Dacron under a 430gr LEE T/L G/C mold.
    it's about all I want with the steel crescent shaped butt-plate on the browning 86 I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast