Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Winchester 100 and cast boolits

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 100 and cast boolits

My nephew has a new to him Winchester Model 100 in .308 Win caliber. I would like to do some reloading for him, using cast boolits if possible. I've reloaded lots of .308 Win cast loads (Lyman 311291 and 31141) for bolt actions, but never for a semi-auto. These loads would be used for some informal close up target shooting only . . . in this case function would be my main objective. Will cast boolits present any problems in this rifle? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just don't jam the lands, seat the primer just below flush, set your die foe proper HS. These were recalled due to FP slam fire condition. Due to SA, use a slightly harder alloy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Do you know if this gun was sent in for the recall repair? If not the firing pin can fail and cause a catastrophic failure due to an out of battery discharge. I load a light load of H4895 in my sons Remington 742 gas operated semi. His is 30-06 and 35gr of H4895 behind a 170gr cycles perfectly and recoil is nice. I'd look for a load of H4895 light enough to cycle the action, H4895 can be loaded down 60% of max safely. H4895 is a great powder for gas guns as it produces lots of gas, the 4895's were designed for M1 semi rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies. This rifle was recently given to my nephew by an older gentleman. I have no idea if the repair has been done . . . but it will be first order of business.

In Remembrance

Never have tried cast thru my or my brothers 1965 made Model 100`s. We found Federal factory "J" bullet 150 gr. loads to be the most reliable and accurate. A shame they dropped the old "Red and White" box load for the .308 in 150 gr., it was scary accurate in the 100. The 100 was designed after the M-14 with the .308 and the 150 gr. bullet.Robert

Banned

I would look for Bruce B's sticky on his work with the M-14 it will provide a lot of insight to what you can expect with the 100.
    wish I never would have sold mine, it was quite accurate.
    but someone wanted it enough to give me more than double what I payed for it.

The Winchester 100 is not noted for a high degree of accuracy. The companion Winchester 88 levergun however will give accuracy about the same level as a bolt gun of the same vintage.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Both my M100 will give accuracy as good as any other non bolt gun I have used. I have never used cast bullets in them as I had a Ruger 44 Semi-auto and it would sometimes experience port fouling with cast bullets.,

Banned

port or any other type of fouling is an indicator.

I'm well over 2-k rounds without cleaning my ar with cast at 2800 fps, I doubt it's ever gonna happen in this rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again for all the replies. I've also checked out the M1A sticky by Bruce B . . . lots of reading on that one! Thanks for the tip Runfiverun.

Boolit Master
    Had pretty good luck using Re 7 and the 160 gr Lee as far as function and accuracy in two M 100's in .308.