Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30 30 load with 115 or 135 gr cast wo gas check help

30 30 load with 115 or 135 gr cast wo gas check help

Hi, I have been lurking here for a long time now and figured it is time I join.

I have access to .309 cast "bullets" in either 115 or 135 gr with no gas check. They are cast from 6-2-92 lead, The manufacturer has always told me to keep his cast under 1200 fps. I have a Savage 842 I would like to load these in, however all my manuals have loads for gas check bullets at much faster than 1200 fps starting loads. Any help would be appreciated.

I have several powders to choose from unique, bullseye, herco, wsf, 5744, h110, hopefully I can find a load for one of these so I can load up some cheap plinker rounds.

thanks in advance scooby

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .30-30 reduced loads data on GMDR uses 170-grain bullets, but I have used it as a guide with 115-grain plainbase and the loads on the lower end of the recommended charges shoot well. I use the Accurate Molds 31-114D sized .311 with 4 grains of Bulseye for a subsonic, low noise "Cat Sneeze" load, or you can load up to 6 grains of Bullseye to get ballistics which approximate the .32-20 Winchester. These charges would also be OK with your 135-grain bullet.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Attachment 119819

Boolit Master

I use 10.7 gr of Unique with Missouri Bullets 135gr lfp. It's a great plinker round! Just use a good crimp.

9 or 10 grains 2400 under your bullet. Don't know how fast it is but it does not led in my guns and I am shooting very soft bullets. Accuracy from Marlin .30-30s is adequate to win lever action matches on targets from 50 to 260- yards.

Boolit Master

I have tried several times to get the Lyman 311008 to shoot in the .30-30.

I have never been able to make it work.

It produces 3" groups in the .30 Carbine and 12 inch groups in the .30-30
    (At 50 yards. )

I would go with the heavier bullet.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Welcome to Cast Boolits. We've about beat the lite load 30-30 thing to death as of late. With Boolits similar to yours I like 7 gr AA#5.

Boolit Master

I was thinking about trying AA #5 for 30-30, ever try a little stronger load?

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    Welcome to Cast Boolits. We've about beat the lite load 30-30 thing to death as of late. With Boolits similar to yours I like 7 gr AA#5.

Boolit Master

Scooby,

I use the Lyman 311008 over five grains of Red Dot in the 30-30. Works very well. About 1200 fps.

Welcome to the site.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Thanks for the replies thus far, so with these light loads do I need a filler? I was mainly thinking of using the unique and 2400 that I have so maybe I will start with 8 gr and go up from there in half grain increments shoot both powders and see what works the best for my riffle. I will get 1M of the 135 gr on Saturday as I will be rabbit hunting with Mike from Mastercast Bullets. Scooby
    135 gr rn/fp

Boolit Master
    I want to try the Lee .312 100 gr RN Plain Base in my 7.62x 54 and 7.62x39 sized to .311.
    And in my .308 sized to.309.
    My friend wants to try them in his 30/30.
    I cast up some last night, and Powder Coated Half of them to try also.
    I was thinking of starting wirh Unique and 2400 also for like a Gallery Load short range Plinker.

Boolit Master
    Last year I bought that plain base Lyman 130 gr. mold on a whim. That boolit shoots great in my 30/30 with 8.4 gr of Trail Boss. Muzzle velocity is about 1250 fps. It is accurate enough to keep a 12x8 inch gong swinging at 130 yards. The lube is Lee mule snot. BTW - it shoots fair in my 308 with 5744 powder at an mv of 1400 but doesn't stabilize at slower speeds. No fillers required in either.

Scooby. welcome to the insanity.....cast and shoot....be sure to have fun...good luck
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master

I use no fillers.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

I tryed 5gr 700X with a Lee mold, don't remember the weight off hand. My marlin didn't shoot near its normal point of aim and I didn't want to adjust the sights away from where it shoots with full power loads so I just dropped it. Really it's so much easier to load 38/357, 44s, or 45 Colts for light loads than with 30/30s bottleneck case that I really don't see the point.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by TMenezes View Post
    I tryed 5gr 700X with a Lee mold, don't remember the weight off hand. My marlin didn't shoot near its normal point of aim and I didn't want to adjust the sights away from where it shoots with full power loads so I just dropped it. Really it's so much easier to load 38/357, 44s, or 45 Colts for light loads than with 30/30s bottleneck case that I really don't see the point.

????????? I must have missed the point you tried to make here.

So I loaded up 5 shells with 5.5gr unique and the 135gr bullet. this was the results at 25 yds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1431.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	120640
    I came home and loaded up 5 more with same charge, I am going to load up in half grain increments to see if group gets smaller, I am happy with this for a start. Savage 842 Iron sights

Scooby,
    I would suggest upping the charge to a minimum of 6 grs of Unique. Postioning the powder to the back of the case would likely help as well as far as consistency goes.

Check the bases of the bullets. Any imperfections there will affect accuracy. Those that are not perfect you could use for plinking rounds.

Once you have found the right load, groups of less than an inch @ 25 yds should be common.

Have fun.
    w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Like w30wfc says but you might try dacron to eliminate the vertical stringing. You won't have much chance to tip the barrel up before a hunting shot. The rear band is a little short for checkless shooting at higher fps without filling the lube groove. I pushed a 165 sans check to >1700 with 2400, culled any with poor rear band edge. A little flash on the shank didn't seem to make much difference. Maybe late in the season for trying PC or HiTek but it helps.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Eight grains of Herco will make the little boolit jump for joy at 50 yards. I load 311-245, and RCBS 32-98- SWC for silhouette shooting at chickens. A puff of Dacron seems to help round out the groups.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    ????????? I must have missed the point you tried to make here.
    Have enough guns that you don't need to adjust sights for low velocity loads.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast