Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 and 35 cal

338 and 35 cal

What bullet would you use on an Elk?
    as the title suggests, 338 and 35 cal cast bullets

Yes, bullet placement I everything.

Yes, you can kill it with a 22...

Yes, Keith harvested elk with his 44 shooting a 240 gr.

Ok now that we have that out of the way...

Duane
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Duane,

For cast I jumped to .379" and used a 320g with a long nose and smaller for caliber metplat gas check.

At 400y the design is still a beast on elk and deer. My downfall is the rifle is a Safari style heavy rifle. I'm thinking about making a .33or .35 on a standard .308 or .30-06 base.

I've played with the designer on mountain molds and Can create a similar .339 design with a slightly larger metllT at 230g .33 or 260g in .35.

Elk need full penitration and a broken shoulders are nice. I'd forgo a larger metplat for more penitration and range. Something like the LEE 220 with a longer nose and 50-60%metplat. Accurate could wip that out in short order about 230-240g in .33

Last edited by NVScouter; 10-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Personal opinion is anything with a 70 % meplate and minimum weight of 200 grains. I would be happier in a 35 with 220 gr but recognize they have been killed with the 358429 @ 173 gr. Velocity and bullet alloy have a lot to do with it as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Sorry had to edit for drawing and posting from phone errors. That drawing was a quickie to show you what I mean.

What at case are you shooting? I'm thinking .338 federal in my 18" barrel.

.357 Herrett out of a 14" Contender is my Elk gun. I personally have not gotten one yet, however, the group I will be going with have in the past.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Master
    I have a 10" .357 Herrett and my elk pistol load is NOE 180 FP at 2000fps. It outperforms th Sierra Tournment Master 180 and expands. Any more weight and the Herrett case/10" barrel give up too much. Mine drop at 191g

Banned

there is a bit more to it than diameter and meplat.
    a big meplat and too much velocity coupled with a soft alloy makes a varmint rifle out of your 35 whelen.

you need to think about what the application and distances involved will be, then tailor things in that direction.
    same as the jacketed bullet makers do.

In Remembrance

If you are looking for a decent designed .338 boolet, look at Accurate molds #34 - 240B or #34- 270F for a longer distance .338 boolet.Robert

Boolit Master

My personal choice is 35 caliber.

We need a little more info from TCTex.
    Any particular cartridge in mind?
    Firearm platform; Contender or Encore? Maybe a bolt action?

Boolit Master
    That Lee boolit should do nicely as long as you are not trying to shoot elk in the next county. It will give you excellent penetration and expansion as long as you don't make it too hard. That boolit won't stabilize in my T/C at velocities under 1600 but that shouldn't matter in your case.

Thanks for the comments so far!

lets see if I can answer a few questions.

The 375 was brought up.
    I have a 17in 375 JDJ in as Encore platform the is currently shooting the 270 NOE (it is a 260gr HP the is made from WQ WW.). I am getting 2200 fps and sub MOA

35-06 Whelen AI in an Encore-16.5in
    it is currently loaded with the NOE RCBS 201gr (I have an RG4 mold that can drop HP or solids.)
    Load is about 2100 fps with surplus IMR 4895

I also have the NOE 358009, although I have not played around with these bullets in this barrel.

338-06-15in Encore
    Current load is 220gr Accerate at 2000-2100fps (I don't remember)
    (Mold 34-220A) 30gr SR 4759

338 Federal-15in Encore
    201 (RCBS?) NOE. It is 210 as cast.
    23gr SR 4759 @ 2000+

Hopes this helps some. All of my current projectiles are WQ WW's. I temper the nose of these bullets as well. All bullets are gas checked.

I am am currently playing with a double pour bullet in the 338 220gr. Pure lead nose with a WW base.

Duane
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Ok forgot to mention, I temper the solids and just WQ the HP's. The HP's have been doing well on deer/pigs...

It is is interesting to see the meplate be debated. If I could use the 358009 in the 35 Whelen I would. I just have not even loaded a round for it yet. However, it was more than a handful in my 35-06 JDJ barrel. I mean a handful...

If what little I know about hunting elk, the 338 cal 220gr Accurate mold would do "OK." My main hesitation with THAT bullet is that it only has a 53% meplate. But man is it accerate. I could increase the velocity a little, the combo is not maxed out yet.

My main question was to figure out if what I was using could handle an elk. (The 375 JDJ I am not worried about. If I had any hesitation of my cast bullet, I would grab the 250 GK's.)

As stated above, you have to do your homework, which is what I am trying to do. LOL.

I think the 35 cal 200gr RCBS is a light bullet for elk. BUT, what type of velocity would be needed to use the 358009 in the 35 Whelen???

I was also thinking about the NOE 230gr in the 338-06 (68% meplate.) But I don't know, which is the reason I am trying to ask questions.

Duane
    Last edited by TCTex; 10-22-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: The way I stated a comment it was VERY unclear... LOL

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Stay away from hollow points if you want penetration. I read a very good article by Garrett on his cartridges page. Seems a wide meplat penetrates true and stays on course. I know the article is based on the 45-70 Gov't, but it carries over to other calibers as well. I just had Accurate bullet molds make me up a 360-240A mold for my Whelen that has a wide meplat of .255" and I can't wait to try it out, should hit like a ton of bricks...going to also give it a go in my .358 Win.
    Here is the link on Garrett article....an eye opener.
    http://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html
    Here is the bullet mold I had made up for my Whelen and the .358 Win.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-240A-D.png

Take a look at the .375 270gr. BRP design from NOE. HP or FP.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I don't plan on using a HP for elk. The HP's do well on the deer and pigs down here in Texas. LOL

I have my 375 JDJ load the way I want it. I am more interested in the 35 and 338's.

Thanks for for the help so far. I have a lot to think about. My savings grace is that I have plenty of time. I am just trying to do my homework with the 35 and 338.

I will read the article posted above today.

Duane

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCTex View Post

If what little I know about hunting elk, the 338 cal 220gr Accurate mold would do "OK." My main hesitation with THAT bullet is that it only has a 53% meplate. But man is it accerate. I could increase the velocity a little, the combo is not maxed out yet.

Duane
    Quote Originally Posted by TCTex View Post

I am am currently playing with a double pour bullet in the 338 220gr. Pure lead nose with a WW base.

Duane

I'm no elk expert either but that Bruce B soft point might be just the ticket.

LOL...

That's my problem. I'm not an expert either.

I have wondered if that 220gr 338 would be up to the task. I have never shot an elk, but I know they are tough critters!

Like I said, just trying to do my homework. For me, the platform is not a big deal. However, the bullet selection is. I just wanted to pick a few brains an find out what others were using. I am not hellbent on any one bullet, just on results.

Duane
    Last edited by TCTex; 10-23-2014 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Auto correct stinks...

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

If Lee would only flatten the nose on that 338 boolit.
    It is very accurate at about 1800 fps in 338 Mag.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not sure exactly what you desire. If the RCBS 35-200 "is a bit light" for elk, then please don't tell the elk or moose I've killed with it cause it sure impressed the hell outta them. Mine weigh 213 gr. GC'd and lubed and ready to load out of my alloy (WW + 2%, air cooled, BHN 14). It gave complete penetration on a bull moose and similar for a cow elk. Dead appears to be dead as far as I can tell. BTW - My .338 magnum loaded with Nosler 225 gr. Partitions did not exit on 3 bull elk I used it on. All 3 critters had the bullet under the skin on the opposite side of entry. The load was stout (slightly above book max.) @ 2950 fps (26" barrel). The 35-200 @ 2430 fps gives better penetration than the 225 Nosler @ 2950. FWIW Pilgrim

Boolit Buddy
    .358 Winchester or Whelen is certainly up to the task and then some. I am so impressed with both of these calibers. They are hard to describe just how effective they are. More bang flops than any caliber I have ever used. Mod velocity, heavy for cal bullets and large frontal diameter equals killing round. The Brits had it right...big and slow gets the job done. Largest animal I have ever shot was my northern BC moose weighing it at approx 1800 lbs live weight. The shot was a severe angling away ...I tried slipping the round in behind the nearside shoulder. The bull turned just as I squeezed off the round. My shot hit him and he simply fell over sideways. The bullet hit in the right ham, traversed the entire length of the bull and left a fist sized hole in his sternum...never found the bullet. This was with the 35 Whelen, a 250 grain Hornady Interlock Spitzer at 2453 fps. I would tangle with anything that walks the N American continent with the 35's.

Got rid of my .338 years ago.....with 275 grainers, it made my eyes water and I could blow snot bubbles out my nose...the Whelen and the 358 is a slow push by comparison, and I can shoot them all day. The .338 was limited at 20 rounds, then a headache that lasted the rest of the day.