MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Home made BP fills the freezer, again

Boolit Master

Home made BP fills the freezer, again

We had our early ML season over the weekend. Woke up late Saturday morning and jumped 10 deer within 25yd of my stand on the way in. Saw a spike and a couple does but not within reasonable distance. Saturday evening I had a big doe with fawns come out right at sunset. A 100gr volume behind a 58cal RB did the trick from my Hawken.
    This is the first deer with a ML and my home made black powder, the first 2 were with a BPCR. She dressed out at 123lbs. Average here in KY is 90lbs for a doe. I still have the regular gun season coming up and the BPCR with home made will be the tool. There is just something about making your own powder and then making meat with it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master

That is inspirational!

Boolit Master

Awesome, I bet KY is real pretty this time of year, I'm always surprised how much it looks like northern MI with the rolling hills rock formations and about the same pine hardwood mix. Totally awesome on the home made powder, have you done a write up on it? If so I'd love to read it if not I'd love to.read it as soon as you do!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Awesome, I bet KY is real pretty this time of year, I'm always surprised how much it looks like northern MI with the rolling hills rock formations and about the same pine hardwood mix. Totally awesome on the home made powder, have you done a write up on it? If so I'd love to read it if not I'd love to.read it as soon as you do!
    Color is at it's peak right now in northern KY. Still a week to go where I deer hunt.
    If you are talking about making the powder it is all in the sticky above. A long read but very good info in there.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Good hunt Bob.Hows the knees doing?

Fly

Perma-Banned

Congrats, I can not think what would be more satisfying. Than taking it with your own BP and own cast bullets

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    Good hunt Bob.Hows the knees doing?

Fly
    Doing good, just about due the 1 year check up. The left was replaced Sep 23rd and the right Dec 9th so figured I'd schedule the follow up in Nov. The right one feels more natural than the left but neither hurts, a real plus.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Boz, I have my meter installed on the hydraulic cylinder and am about ready to go. I am having trouble reinstalling the rubber plug though.

Anyone know the trick to this?

Boolit Master
    jumped 10 deer within 25yd of my stand on the way in
    Curious is your stand hanging on the side a corn crib?

Boolit Master

Awesome! I love black powder season, especially our late season which is after Christmas.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Curious is your stand hanging on the side a corn crib?
    Not exactly, it is a tripod stand on the edge of a soy bean field (this year). The deer use the edges to travel to their bedding area which is a 15ac wood lot 100yds from the stand. That wood lot is surrounded by 300ac of row crops.
    Hunting is done on the travel lanes which change a little every year depending on what is in the fields but for the most part we hunt the same stands each year. There are multiple stands depending on the crops and movement that we can switch to. Straight out from my stand it is more than a half mile to the fence line. We see many more deer than we can feasibly shoot but it is fun when you are seeing critters even out of range.
    I've hunted this farm since 77' so I have it fairly well figured out. Although I completely struck out last year, that is why it is called DEER HUNTING, not shooting.

Bob