Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boolit Size

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=243winxb;2977228]
    hoping to avoid potential argument. [/QUOTE
    Can't blame a guy for trying!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    don't make me come in there and separate you two!

and stay outta my beer!

Banned

OK, need to straighten you fellas out a little.
    The cavities are NOT a hole in a piece of metal. They are HALF a hole at the edges. So as the blocks expand outward, so do the cavities.
    Since making my own molds I also thought different at first so when I got a cherry wrong and a boolit was not large enough I wanted to recut. I froze the blocks in the freezer and the cherry just wobbled without touching so I cast a while, got the blocks hot and inserted the cherry, worked fast so the cherry did not heat and expand and was able to remove a lot of metal. Boolits got larger and more round. To remove even more I would let the cherry heat and expand some more but so far just a hot mold has been enough.
    It took me a while to figure this out. A hole in a solid block will get larger as metal expands away from it but we are not working with a hole but an EDGE or SIDE.
    I assure you a cavity will get smaller with heat.
    If you cast to frosty boolits, you will see they are smaller then a shiny boolit.
    We all know to fit a shaft in a hole, we heat the metal the hole is in and freeze the shaft. You need to realize we do NOT have a hole in a piece of metal.
    You can prove it by casting a boolit, then get the blocks a lot hotter, drop the boolit back in and see if the blocks close. I could win some money from you guys!

Banned

I'd just spray some mold release in the cavitys [to make them smaller] and size to 358.

but i'm a pretty simple guy.

Banned

Smoking a mold or using mold prep is measured in microns. Just how much soot would you need to make a boolit smaller?

If you cast to frosty boolits, you will see they are smaller then a shiny boolit.
    Very true. I can even measure the difference with my micrometer. But
    The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature.
    From - http://www.redding-reloading.com/onl...-moulds-charts All i know is, frosty boolits = Smaller diameters.

This Redding page is an excellent example of the troubles you will get from believing everything you read.
    It's very easy to verify, or refute the statement in paragraph 4.
    Using the same mold, cast with pure lead, COWW, and 1:20.
    Measure the results. It's that simple.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12