Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Marks On My Brass Help!

Boolit Buddy

Water Marks On My Brass Help!

Ok, so I need some advice here fella's. I have been SS tumbling my brass for awhile now and I have been putting up with this for too long so I have to ask. What is going on with my process that I continue to get water marks when my brass dries as seen above? I use a small amount of Lemi Shine along with a small amount of Armor All Wash and Wax, also did the same thing when I used Dawn. Now I dont have hard water nor do I have a softener. I posted the second pic below to show that they are thoroughly getting clean inside and out (not a great pic but it shows what I want to get across). I am an avid swager and I get this on my jackets too. I am asking this here because I believe we are a slight bit more intelligent as well as we clean alot more brass than your average reloader.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

Boolit Master

Dry them with a towel and then put them in the oven at 250 for about 30 minutes.

In Remembrance
    I used to get water marks like that when I first starting using the stainless media. Ever since I dried them immediately after I rinse them off with a clean towel. After I dry them off I lay them on yet another towel in the sun which dries them in about an hour. Since I went to that system I never have that problem....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    Use a tad more lemi shine rinse Good towel dry them, if you want them to really shine polish them. my 2 cents
    Inequality is to try to make Unequal things Equal Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Good grief Matt you must have been typing at the same time!!!
    Inequality is to try to make Unequal things Equal Aristotle

I bought my STM setup early this year and couldn't love it more. Once out of the thumbler, I give the brass two hot rinses and roll them across a towel first. Then the same as DDriller, I pop them in the over at 200-250 degrees for 30 minutes on an cookie sheet. Never had a problem with mine.
    I also toss the finished brass in corncob media with polish for about 30 minutes. This puts a light coating on them that protects them from oxidization. Once that is done, I put them up in Ziplock bags until needed. Mine have all stayed perfect.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER62 View Post
    Good grief Matt you must have been typing at the same time!!!
    LOL.......I guess I have faster fingers....
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy

Ok, now with towel dry how do you specifically do this, what I do now is throw them on a kitchen towel that is on a cookie sheet and air dry, I really should not have to put them in the oven. I think I should more thoroughly towel dry them to start but I am hoping there is a fast "bulk" way to do it.
    Thank you all so far I think were getting somewhere.

In Remembrance
    Try using distilled water for your rinse water. Tap water is going to have some minerals in it that may be causing some of your problems.

I spread my brass out on a cotton towel, then vigorously blot/rub them all down with another cotton towel, then spread them out on an old cotton movers blanket in the sun. I believe the key is cotton, that absorbs water far better than anything else.

In Remembrance
    If you put the wet brass on the towel which is on a cookie sheet, the towel is wet, which in turn is not what your after. Dry with a towel (I go to the thrift stores and get the large beach towels, a bag cost me $1) and use a separate towel on a rack and pour them onto that towel to air dry. Works every time....

Annealing Services

I have a Bigg Dawg Tumbler and lay out the brass on a ShamWow towel to get the bulk of the water. Then, transfer to another ShamWow and roll them around to get the last little bit. This totally knocks out the water stain problem...

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

After I clean mine with the SS (wet) method I rinse well to remove all traces of the critic acid and soap then still damp I drop them in my walnut media in the vib style cleaner that dry's and puts some polish on the brass. I have not added any polish to the media in a long time but my main goal is to dry the brass. But do not leave the brass in the media for a day or two or you will have to clean it again something happens and my brass will be stained brown lol only made that mistake one time.
    During the summer when it good and hot outside I just dump it on a towel out in the sun and move it around from time to time which works but is not as fast of using the walnut to dry it.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    I use a very large beach towel and make a sling out of it. and pull up on each end... kinda tumbling them. then I use the air compressor to blow the water out of the insides. BTW... my final rinse is boiling hot water... heats up the brass and drys super quick.

Boolit Master
    I just looked at some of my 223 brass and I got the water marks too. looks like camouflaged brass. kinda cool lookin.

Boolit Buddy
    I rinse well then dry with a towel and toss them around. And then i put them in a food dehydrator for a few hours, and they are good to go with no spots. The sun works good to but like others have said get them off the damp towel. I actually use cold water for the whole process, i have had beter luck then hot water.

Bardo

Boolit Master

Hair dryer.
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Banned

For smaller quantities this is what I found to be very successful. After SS tumbling rinse thoroughly in cold water, lay brass in a towel, place hair dryer at one end to act as a tunnel and in 3 minutes your brass is too hot to pick up and dry. No spots. Ever!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...small-quantity

Boolit Buddy

Well thanks for all the advice, looks like I will start with being more aggressive with drying them with a towel first then let them air dry. If that doesnt work then I will have to go with a heat source of sorts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    I used to get water marks like that when I first starting using the stainless media. Ever since I dried them immediately after I rinse them off with a clean towel. After I dry them off I lay them on yet another towel in the sun which dries them in about an hour. Since I went to that system I never have that problem....
    This^^^^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast