Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45LC - short reamed cylinders?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 2 year old biesley that I cannot begin to push a .452 sized boollit through. As soon as my finances allow, both cly,s will be sent off to be reamed. Mine is stainless, sounds like they have the issue more often, not sure why.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Any of you guys reaming out the new Lipsey's Flattop 45 cylinders have any real no fooling before and after pictures of groups fired on paper?
    Wish I did........... the Lipsey pissed me off so much I walked off the range with a leaded barrel and poor accuracy followed by the sight issue being discovered. The Lipsey was going to be the first time I reamed a cylinder so I didn't know what to expect so my initial thought was to try and fire it first and if things were good I wasn't going to mess with it i.e. if it works don't try and fix it.

Consequently though, I didn't even think twice when I received my Bisley with tight throats, never even fired a single round through it before I reamed the cylinder throats. First time at the ranged accuracy was excellent.

Night and Day difference.
    Last edited by RobS; 10-22-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    When I got my Lipsey in .44, I had this discussion with dougguy, and I am glad I did. It did not need work, and I was ready to send it to him, but thanks to his knowledge, I didn't waist his time or mine. I really think if you follow his advice. You will be satisfied.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    cpaspr....The problem is not your handgun. Here are the likely culprits in the order of probability.

1. The front driving band of your loaded round, the one outside of the case, not fully entering the charge hole throat either due to being too large or too long.

2. Your primers are not fully seated in the pockets.

As your primers and sized cases will work fine, the smart money is on the bullet. The fact that the loaded rounds don't eject easy is another strong indicator that the rounds are too tight in the throats.

I have a Ruger 5.5" Flattop 45 Convertible with .452 throats. A round loaded with .452 bullet will drop right in, but if you are not wiping your loaded rounds or have tumble lube on the front driving bands, all bets are off. If you are using store bought bullets, they just might be a smidge larger than .452. You need to measure the front driving band with a good micrometer to know the actual true size.

These revolvers are the finest Ruger has made in my lifetime, which spans the entire production of Ruger and I sure WOULD NOT ream the charge holes larger. Adapt your loading to the gun and not the other way around.
    I agree totally. I own only Ruger 3 screws, 1 being in 45LC. I cast/lube not tumble lube and have never had a problem, even when shooting 325gr wrist busters. Sounds like there's a boolit sizing problem to me also.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master

Well, at least it isn't a Colt, their QC has dumped recently
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Mold
    I had the same problem. Try a crimp of .4715-.472 with a col of 1.250 and a 200gr lswc These work great in my 1911 and my Ruger. Also I bench check for fit. A revolver plunk test if you will. At the range yesterday I had no problems with either gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bvisteve View Post
    I had the same problem. Try a crimp of .4715-.472 with a col of 1.250 and a 200gr lswc These work great in my 1911 and my Ruger. Also I bench check for fit. A revolver plunk test if you will. At the range yesterday I had no problems with either gun.
    1.250"?

bvisteve, I think you're talking about rounds for a .45ACP cylinder. I'm not having problems with that one.

This thread is about the .45LC cylinder.

Boolit Mold
    Your right I misread your problem. My 45lc reloads are 1.595 col .4745 neck in a 1.277 oal case and a 230 gr lrn cast bullet. These also shot fine in the 45lc cyl. These cases are new starline.

OP, Try a REDDING PROFILE CRIMP Die.

It's a combination of taper and roll crimp. It will reduce the case on a very slight angle, and still give you a roll crimp to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    enfieldphile - thanks for the advice, but I don't think it will help.

As I mentioned in post 16, the length of the shell that actually goes in the cylinder hole plus the front driving band is 1.333". There was only 1.303" available, so that means I'm shoving at least .030" of my front driving band into the cylinder throat. And if my throats are tighter than my boolit's driving band, it doesn't matter what crimp die I use. I'll still wedge the round in the cylinder and they won't drop back out like they should.

I'll be sending the cylinder to Doug when finances loosen up a bit.
    Last edited by cpaspr; 10-29-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12