Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington brass

Banned

Remington brass

Man, Having a heck of a time with some brass I am doing prep to. Been de-buring the primer holes and trimming the brass today. I have about 2500 to do. All I can say is that Remington is giving me the most trouble. The flash holes are all over the place as to diameter and the flashing on the inside is huge compared to many many types of brass. Federal seems to be about the most consistent so far. My hands are killing me right now so that is the meaning of the post. Taking a break.

I think I am going to order a 3-way trimmer for the 308. I have one for the 223 and it works really well. It should save on the hands a bunch.

Your poor experience with Remington brass mirrors mine for the past 40+ years. Remington brass is almost always substandard quality and I will not use it unless I have no other choice.

Boolit Master
    I sacrificed my Lyman Inside Flash Hole deburring tool; cut it off at about 4 inches so I can chuck it in a drill and save my hands.

Boolit Master

I've motorized the majority of my case prep operations, particularly when I'm processing a lot of cases as you are doing now.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Time to get a case prep center from RCBS. The shaft from a Lyman flash hole uniformer can be removed from the handle and screwed onto one of the stations. It works great.

Use a piece of rubber to keep the brass from spinning in your hand. That helps.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

In all my years, I have found Remington brass to weigh the least of many that I've used. Whether that is due to alloy density or thickness remains to be seen but either way, R-P brass seems to be the most troublesome in the reloading process for me. I used to browse the gun shows for Norma brass but the shows aren't what they used to be with all the tactical stuff of today. Prvi Partizan brass gets a nod, in spite of many not wanting to by Serbian stuff. IMI is also good brass but it's not found as easily as it was in the 90's. R-P gets the on my bench

Boolit Master

Remington brass has always been my last choice of brass to use of the USA made brass ! I found that flash holes were all over the place and usually did not get as many reloads as other brands .
    I also like Norma and the new Nosler brass.

Banned

It wouldn't be so bad, but don't laugh here! I can't get it in the hole to deburr it. The tip just keeps going around and I can't get it in.

Boolit Master
    Oh Gawd gotta clean the iced tea offa the screen...

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Neck Thickness on rifle brass is very variable! When neck turning rifle brass of Remington make.... I can not get a clean overall cut... seems it it is thicker on one side then the other . Just my observations!
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Neck Thickness on rifle brass is very variable! When neck turning rifle brass of Remington make.... I can not get a clean overall cut... seems it it is thicker on one side then the other . Just my observations!
    Yep the necks on R-P brass aren't concentric and I've never found them to be. It might have something to do with the suspected age of the tooling. Remington has been around a while.

I agree. If you don't buy custom brass I think Winchester is the best.

Banned

I get the best results in 223 with Remington brass. In 308, it is Federal. It is the most consistent in and in the neck. Win has been the worst for me in 308. For general shooting, I don't care what I am using. But target and load work it is all Federal in 308.

Boolit Master
    I get alot of once fired brass from a friend who works at a range. I know the 30-30 Rem brass from Win by feel as it goes thru the press. The Rem brass just feels flimsy compared to the Win. I set it aside and use it for the general bang bang ammo, the Win for stuff I expect more out of.

Boolit Master

Free brass is the best. Fix the variances IMHO. Meaning make flash wholes the same and then cut the flash wholes inside with a tool. I do it with all brass I use doesn't matter the make keep them in lots is the name of the game.