Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dip luring 22LR

Boolit Master

Eley says it uses Beeswax/Tallow:
    http://www.eley.co.uk/en/ammunition/tenex-pistol/

I've noticed some leading with the (formerly) cheap RGBs, and have been keeping them set aside for other peoples' use. Maybe some experimentation is in order. I would be surprised if just adding lube makes them any more accurate, though.

bang. Bang. BANG. bang. BANG. bang. Bang.

Boolit Buddy
    This is one of the things that is on my lists of "I want to try that and test it." Has anyone done any accuracy testing of how relubed ammo shoots compared no out of the box.

Jackpine

Boolit Bub
    Not done that, but it sounds like an interesting exercise. I have heard that different 22 like different ammo. Makes since. That said, who has a Romanian 22 bolt and what kinds of ammo does yours like?

Boolit Buddy
    Most rimfires are definitely partial to certain ammo over others. I was on a rimfire kick a few years back probably bought thirty plus different rifles and handguns. I have a small duffle that has twenty five plus different kinds of ammo in it and would try a bunch in each piece. Had three factory 10-22s that each liked a different kind of ammo. If the best ammo for a particular rifle shot 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards, it was not uncommon that another ammo would shoot no better than 2 inches. And it wasn't always the "target" ammo that shot best either. I had a couple of rifles that liked Remington Thunderbolt better than anything else.

I have read that sometimes the difference in accuracy with rimfire is in the lube. That is why I have wanted to relubing to see if it made a difference.

Jackpine

Boolit Bub
    Jackpine I hope u share what u find out with everyone here! I recently made my first batch of Flexis lube & I'm gona try that. Soon I hope. Into a 308 project at the moment, but will try to work the 22 in as well. I will be shooting a Romanian Army 22 cal trainer w a 4-16x40 out of a grizzly Slingshot rest. I have seen the various spreads out of this rifle but all out of the same 500 rd box. I'll share the results.

Boolit Buddy
    I will definitely give my findings. Unfortunately it is getting a little cold for long range sessions here in the Frozen North, so it will have to wait until I get to Sunny AZ.

Jackpine

Here's a couple of targets I shot with my 39A and scope. First target is with SK ammo to show what the gun can do. Second target is with Federal Automatch lubed with a little shot of Pam and also unlubed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 39A SK.jpg   AM lube unlube.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

If you want to improve the accuracy of your inexpensive .22LR ammo, you have to try this well known trick :

Take a box of .22LR ammo and measure the thickness of the rim in every round. In the end you have f.e. 5 piles of ammo with similar rim thickness. Choose one and test shoot it on paper. The measuring takes some time but quite often a mediocre ammo becomes hi-quality stuff when sorted this way.

Boolit Buddy
    Ola wrote:
    "Take a box of .22LR ammo and measure the thickness of the rim in every round. In the end you have f.e. 5 piles of ammo with similar rim thickness. Choose one and test shoot it on paper. The measuring takes some time but quite often a mediocre ammo becomes hi-quality stuff when sorted this way."

Years past I saw a device marketed to the RF Rifle crowd that allowed quick measuring and sorting of rimfire ammo by rim thickness. Might have been made by Sinclair.

Pretty sure at least one maker is still producing them.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A few years ago I spoke with Duane from Rooster Labs and he indicated that Rooster Jacket was being used by some companies on their 22s for lube.
    I tried rooster Lube on 22 rimfires. It flakes off so the RL had to be mixed with an other ingredient
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Crabo:

Ever think of trying something other that PAM to lube that Fed AutoMatch???

I suspect you might reduce group sizes just a bit more, out of your Marlin at least. Losing that buttery aroma would be a very small price to pay IMO.

Boolit Master
    It would be interesting to know what they use as lube on the Wolf target match. That ammo is very accurate in my guns and the lube is slick and slimy. Not hard or dry.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Grump View Post
    Crabo:

Ever think of trying something other that PAM to lube that Fed AutoMatch???

I suspect you might reduce group sizes just a bit more, out of your Marlin at least. Losing that buttery aroma would be a very small price to pay IMO.
    One thing that seemed to happen was if I shot too much on and didn't shoot them up, later on I had a lot of misfires where I never had them before or after.

I haven't tried anything else for lube. The automatch shoots lights out in my 10/22 without lube. (10 shots 50 yards, but starts falling apart at 100)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Auto Match 1.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12