Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dip luring 22LR

Boolit Bub

Arrow Dip luring 22LR

Recently made up my first batch of Felix lube. Made a double batch and added a tsp of candle wax to make it harder to use as a pan lube plus the carnauba wax to get the shiny bore. Has anyone tried to brush or dip this onto 22LR bullets to help reduce bore leading in their 22s?

Boolit Mold
    I have an older batch of Federal 22LR where the wax like lube got hard and brittle. I dip them in Lee alox thinned with a little mineral spirits and let them dry. Seems to bring them back to usable condition.

Boolit Bub
    Thx. I just scrubber out all my 22 bores. Next time out I'll try shooting some 22s dipped in Felix and report the results.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I reload 22 LR with black powder. The bullets are from a custom mold & Lyman. Lubing them is hot paraffin & graphite. Leading? Nope! Longest shot string with no accuracy decrease - 125 rounds with not patching or blow tubing with average 980 fps
    Regards
    John

Banned

as one of my attempts at making a lube similar to the one used on 22 lr's I come up with 3 parts of cooked off jpw [liquid] and one part bees wax [melted also]
    it dries quite hard , makes a waxy shell very similar to the one on 22's, and actually works very well as a lube, I have pushed it in my 25-20 about as hard as it will go.
    you need to warm the boolits until they are hot, and get the lube pretty darn hot too, but it makes a nice even coating.

Boolit Bub
    Didn't know you could re-load 22LR. How do u do the rim primer?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Salt View Post
    Home-made mercury fulminate and never use them again???

Seriously, I have thought about doing that with a conventional lead styphanate type initiator but never even tried to source out either the finished product (I hope it's shipped only WET) or the precursors and process. My sources from years ago say a measured drop of the stuff is put in the case and then it's spun to drive the green goo into the rim. I *was* willing to live with having the original firing pin indent be a "dead spot"...

But I woulda worked up a smokeless load. BP would be for loading .22 WMRs to Long Rifle speeds, I think.

Boolit Master

I pulled this off of Wikipedia

"Mercury(II) fulminate is prepared by dissolving mercury in nitric acid and adding ethanol to the solution. It was first prepared by Edward Charles Howard in 1800.[1] The crystal structure of this compound was only determined in 2007.[2]

Silver fulminate can be prepared in a similar way, but this salt is even more unstable than mercury fulminate; it can even explode under water and is impossible to accumulate in large amounts because it detonates under its own weight."

When you make this you go directly onto Obama's list of Rablerousers

side note-Don't believe everything on Wikipedia

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I don't ... found a vendor selling 5000 primed empty cases. They or no one else sell primed cases anymore
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Salt View Post
    Recently made up my first batch of Felix lube. Made a double batch and added a tsp of candle wax to make it harder to use as a pan lube plus the carnauba wax to get the shiny bore. Has anyone tried to brush or dip this onto 22LR bullets to help reduce bore leading in their 22s?

Really?

I have never seen bore leading in a .22?

What kind of .22 is it?
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Most of the lead bullet .22LR seems to lead my pistols. I just use a soft brush to apply some JPW and let it dry. Then there is no leading at all. The modern plastic retainer packages make this fast and easy.

prs

Boolit Master

Rough bore? or over sized bore?

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Really?

I have never seen bore leading in a .22?

What kind of .22 is it?
    Same here. Leading in a .22? Just never been an issue, and I have some OLD .22s.

Shredder IMO the old stuff is good. Its the new stuff you have to watch.

When was it, late 80's, early 90's when Remington changed their lube on their .22's and they went to ****?
    I switched to mostly CCI with some Federal.

I think most current .22's have too much lube, not a shortage, however there could well be a specific brand that is short.
    I also think the plating is thinner than it used to be.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had leading recently with 22LR. Newer production stuff. Guns have nice smooth bores and do not lead with most brands of 22. The recent Thunderbolt seems to be the worst for leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I don't ... found a vendor selling 5000 primed empty cases. They or no one else sell primed cases anymore
    Grammar Nazis and Gunophile pedantics will say that's not reloading, but it IS handloading.

As you can tell from the responses, with this crowd it's a distinction that makes a difference.

I'm STILL way, way impressed.

BTW, I first hit upon the idea of REloading .22 LR when I was a teen and helped a friend's survivalist friend move. There were several, yes, several, Navy-gray containers similar to Jerry Cans all full of cannon powder that had a pattern of seven tiny/closed holes in the extruded grains, and every granule was exactly the right size to fit inside a fired .22 LR case. Undoubtedly pretty slow burning...

Boolit Master
    The same pistols shot without any problems when CCI-Stingers were available and priced within reason. Its the new stuff, not plated at all, just plain lead bullets and if its lubed, I can't tell. The JPW is a quick solution. The aforementioned Thunderbolt are certainly helped with a bit of brushed on mineral wax.

prs

Try some Pam, non stick cooking spray
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I had the dangdest time getting 'lead' out of a .22 rifle my grand daddy willed to me. He never cleaned it once in the time he owned it. I finally got it clean with the Birchwood-Casey Lead remover cloth, once I realized a good deal of the 'lead' was actually molly. In any case I took a page from the tumble-luber playbook and began wiping the bore down with a patch dipped in JPW and let ti dry. Haven't had a problem since.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Grand Master

A few years ago I spoke with Duane from Rooster Labs and he indicated that Rooster Jacket was being used by some companies on their 22s for lube.
    I know some members here at the time were using this product but I believe it has been discontinued, along with their bullet lubes.
    I could be wrong but the demise of RL might have forced the ammo companies to try another product that does not work in all cases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast