RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sling would you put on this Marlin?

Boolit Buddy

What sling would you put on this Marlin?

Like the title says, I am looking to put a sling on my marlin. I would like something that looks good with the setup I have. The thing is, with the color of the stock, I am not sure how a leather sling would work. Maybe a black leather? Anyway, here is the gun;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1578.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	119668

Vendor Sponsor

I am a big fan of 1.5" wide nylon belt material. I make slings out it for guns that I have to tote a lot. The extra width spreads the load out on your shoulder and the belt material feels nice against your shoulder. Perfect for your Guide Gun.

You simply take a strip of the material and two 1.5" Plastic Belt Buckles and thread the strap thru 1 1/4" Uncle Mikes Detachable Sling Swivels. It goes thru just fine. This is light and very effective and more than enough for a Carry Sling.

If you need something you can strap into for target shooting then it is a little more complicated but still easily doable.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man

Boolit Master
    Hunter Cobra or a Browning. Leather only. Nothing fancy just basic shoulder carry is my suggestion.

Boolit Master

All my rifles that have a sling, have a m1907 on them. When I find a better sling I will switch.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    I have several with that laminate, I have a roll of black Para-Cord and was going to make slings for mine using the Cobra Stitch if I ever get around to it. Have HD 1 1/4" QD slings, proper length for left arm wrap mount, screw loops to board and away I go. Whenever that is!

I too, have looked at para-cord slings (don't have one yet-lots of Turner 1907s for High Power competition rifles though) and think these are something you could tailor to your preference to look good and work with a hunting lever gun. Show off that laminate stock and SS metal and still be functional (and useful) with some really good color choices: www.sandstormcustomrifleslings.com. I don't have any affiliation or business with them but they caught my eye for my 336 30-30, 1894 45LC, and (my latest) 1894C .38/.357. Functional rifle "Bling" that still works. I really like the weaves, width selections, and colors (and the prices--I couldn't make them that nice). JMHO.

JX
    Last edited by johnny_xring; 10-20-2014 at 10:59 PM.

I keep a few of the $3.00 nylon military slings around. With Uncle Mikes quick detach swivels.

Uncle Mike made a one handed sling, I have one on every firearm that takes one.
    They sold the design to Gander Mt, and they still sell them.
    Winchester makes a knock off, that has plastic swivels, I dont buy those
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Asking about a sling is a good excuse for showing a pic of a nice gun sporting a laminated stock and large loop lever. I also like the set up with the scope.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Asking about a sling is a good excuse for showing a pic of a nice gun sporting a laminated stock and large loop lever. I also like the set up with the scope.
    SSSSHHHHHH!!!!! Don't tell!

Boolit Grand Master

What sling would you put on this Marlin?

Marlin....sling that looks good.....sees scope on said Marlin How's that saying go? You can't polish a turd

All kidding aside get a sling that's comfortable. Nothing bothers me more than one that won't stay on the shoulder or one that digs in. I've been making them out of paracord. I tailor them to the correct length for me. They hold up very well and are comfortable for me to use. I have a thing about not buying an item when I can make it. Slings fall into that category.

Boolit Master
    That's what I am talking about, and a big piece of string to pull out your Macgyver if you need it!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    That's what I am talking about, and a big piece of string to pull out your Macgyver if you need it!
    I don't make them because of my inner MacGyver

My dog destroys collars in short order. I can make him one out of paracord in ten minutes and it holds up better than one I would buy. If I didn't have the paracord on hand I would buy one of the nylon ones at Walmart. Slings are about comfort and function in my eyes.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I am glad not all of us see beauty in the same way!!! I really really like the looks of my marlin! I realize some guys don't really like the looks of a scope on a levergun, but hey, each to his own I am probably not old enough to be a purist! (am 29) I know some old guys around here shake their heads at me. First off, (and I know I am treading on dangerous ground here!!) I prefer a nice laminate/ stainless to walnut and blued! Next, I powdercoat my bullets! I am amazed how many guys hate it simply because it doesn't look traditional. Never mind that it works beautifully!! Third, is the fact that I scope EVERY GUN I OWN!!!! And yes, I have a 1951 Marlin 336 in 35 Remington that wears a scope! I like the looks Does that make me a worse person? I don't think so! That is just me and who I am! And no, I didn't take any offense at all at dragon813G!!! Feel free to express whatever you please!! And I am not trying to start a fight! All this was written with a smile on my face and a good feeling insideAfter all, I would not bash a fellow Pennsylvanian!!!!

ps, this was in no way meant to start a fight or bash anybody! Even if you are one that prefers walnut/blued, never scopes a levergun, and would never powdercoat a bullet! I have a lot of respect for everybody on here and we need all of you!!
    Last edited by Jevyod; 10-22-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Talk about a CYA post

I'm the opposite of you. I've taken scopes off all my rifles. Woods are to thick to warrant their use. I'm 35 and this decision may come back to haunt me in my old age. But I can always add a scope if my eyesight deteriorates

Boolit Buddy
    Well didn't want anybody to be offended!!!!! But I know what you mean about thick woods! That's why I went with a 1-4x20! 1 power for thick cover and 4 power for fields

Boolit Master

I use a 1" sling on my Marlin.

Attachment 119923

I love this one.
    http://www.brownells.com/search/inde...ling&ksubmit=y
    I even copy them not so hard to do
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

i just shoot more accurately with a scope . .. . more so as the range increases, more so i as i age . . . i like both.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141021_185233.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	119930