RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to cast bullets?

Boolit Buddy

Is it worth it to cast bullets?

I recently acquired a Lee melter and an RCBS Lube-A-Matic and thought about casting some .45 ACP 185 grain SWC bullets for the first time but have a hard time making sense of the economics. I pay about 8 cents for lubed bullets now and I figure it will cost about 6 cents to cast a bullet based on the lead alone. It doesn't seem to make sense to cast or am I missing something?

Boolit Buddy
    Most of the time as casters we get into the hobby to "save" money, which once the addiction kicks in, never seems to pan out. For alot of us we cast because we enjoy it plus we can generally cast better shooting boolits than are available comercially, also can adjust alloys or boolit styles to better suit our needs.

Being able to cast your own is its own reward. Sure, you could pay someone else to make or fix every single thing around you. Or, you could take matters into your own hands. Some things may not seem worth the effort but there is a wee bit of pride when you see shelves groaning under the weight of all the bullets you made yourself. Or the brake pads you installed on the car. Or the workbench you assembled. Or... etc ad infinitum.

Boolit Master
    Part of it depends on your cost of lead. You should be getting about 35 to the lb for a 185 grain bullet. Based on your $.06 cost projection, it sounds like you're paying in excess of $2 a pound for lead.

It takes some scrounging, but lead can be had in most areas for around $1 per lb. With that being the case, your lead costs just dropped in half, making it about $.03 per bullet in lead cost. An additional $.01 per bullet for lube, and you're at half the cost of the commercial bullets you were buying, but with the benefit of being able to fine tune your alloy and lube. Commercial lubes generally suck, and commercial cast bullets are almost always too hard for the best accuracy.

IF you're counting your time into the cost factor, then you should probably walk away early. I count it as a hobby. I shoot enough (or used to, and hope to again soon) to easily justify the upfront costs of casting and reloading. If I only shot a few thousand rounds a year on average, I might reconsider.

The good news is, if you try it and don't like it, you can sell off the equipment, and have enough money to buy a bunch of those commercial cast bullets.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

One other thing to note: oftentimes those hard cast lead bullets you buy from wherever are cast out of super hard lead. They do that to avoid those bullets being damaged during shipping and handling. The main problem with this is that super hard lead bullets don't obturate well in the bore, thereby sealing it. Without sealing the bore well, they can lead your barrel because of gas cutting around a non-obturated bullet. Bullets you cast yourself can be sized appropriately to your barrel (which you can slug yourself to find out how big YOUR barrel is). This creates a better fit, and that can not only lead to less leading, but to better accuracy.

Long story short - there's a lot more involved than simple economics, when you build your own.

More often than many veteran casters will want to admit; No it's not ALWAYS worth it.
    I have found that many of the things I worked hard on were just not worth the end result.

That being said, YES casting is generally WELL worth the effort if you're willing to put in the effort to do it right.

Boolit Master

If you are wanting to do it for the money savings (and are serious, not just telling a SO that) you really should not do it. You will not save money, you will buy expensive custom molds because you believe it will be perfect for your <insert firearm of choice here>. Casting is very rewarding if you aren't just looking to save money, because you won't. Like reloading, you might be able to shoot more for the same money, but you won't save money.

Boolit Master

If you fight the addiction these guys are talking about and treat it as an economic measure by limiting yourself to what you "NEED", preferably run with a 4+ cavity mold, don't fret overly about your time, and scrounge your materials you CAN save money. I'm shooting mostly scrounged range lead and scrounged range brass in my primary handgun calibers, so am basically paying for primers and powder, plus a little bit of propane and current.

For most of us, it's about greater control of the variables.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I couldn't do it if I didn't scounge my wheel weights from the local garages. Yes, there is a cost associated with processing them, but I gained enough lead to offset my equip and costs. I didn't add my labor as I have free time and no money...!
    if I had to buy lead, I would do it.
    I was able to stock pile a few thousand pounds over a few years. I "paid" a case of Coke and cookies when I picked up from each garage. Cheap enough since I hauled off about 200 pounds of weights every other month and cost only $30. I stopped when others started asking for them and I figured I had enough for personal use. No need to be greedy or selfish or make a $ when others in the sport could use it too.

I paid around $1.00 Lb/lead =$.03/ea

Boolit Master
    I believe it's worth it to cast my own because I can match a home grown boolit to match exactly my shooting needs even to the point of designing my own mold for everyone of the firearms I own. Accuracy is great and as many others have said it's a hobby.

Boolit Grand Master
    If your only thoughts are to save money by casting yes you are missing something.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I bought extra primers and powder when they were still cheap.
    Collected and ingot-ed tons of lead when it was free or at least cheap. I've bought moulds over 50+ years, and am loading for less than the current cost of primers.
    There are several guns I wouldn't get to shoot at all, except for the casting and loading.
    If I were to start out today I doubt I could afford it.
    If dollar savings is your only incentive, forget it.

Moderator Emeritus

You already have the most expensive tools for the operation.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Is it worth it to cast bullets?

Boy, it sure is to me.

I got into it to be self sufficient. I HAVE boolits. When reloading components where scarce, us casters where still shooting.
    The other advantage is that you can fit you cast boolits to YOUR firearms.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I was buying all my cowboy shooting bullets from a a local bsiness. He had good prices and was close, so no shipping. He decided he could make more money be becoming a day trader in stocks, and closed his business.That's when I decided to start casting my own. I have more time than money, but little of either. I already fix my own cars and repair my own house, so why not cast my own bullets? I already reload. I now cast for myself, my wife, and somewhat my 2 kids. Just for fun I have loaded up some .22 long rifle in Blackpowder for them for next months California State BP Championship. Was it worth it in time to load those .22? Not hardly, I spend over an hour/box of 50 and had to buy a custom mould. But they don't sell them anymore, so the fun of it is way worth it.

Boolit Mold

I've been casting for years, mainly for the satisfaction of doing it myself. If there were a practical way to make my own smokeless powder, primers, and brass, I'd do that too. That said, I don't think I've "saved" a dime, but I would cast and reload even if I couldn't shoot.

Boolit Master
    I started casting as it was a logical progression of my hobbies of reloading and shooting. I get a good feeling knowing that the boolits that i use to tear the x ring out of a target were made by the hands of your truly. There is a learning curve to be sure but its worth it to me. I do save money because i pay little for my lee molds and get good deals on my lead. Sure, there is the up front costs but there usually is with any endeavor thats worth while. Theres also the simple fact of my enjoyment of just doing it...my 02 cents for ya.

Boolit Master
    I suppose I am one of the lucky one's on cost of lead. I squirreled away tons of wheel weights back when they were giving them away and only wanted their buckets back. Being retired I consider my time to be free. Although my electric bill goes up $3 per month when I've done some casting. I'm on split rate electric. 6 cents/kwh on weekends, holidays, and evenings. But the best part is Tayloring each load to it's specific need.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

A lot depends on your needs. Right now I'm buying commercial bullets because I'm shooting 300 every weekend, and simply don't have time to cast them for myself. If I had more time I would shoot more, not cast.

Would I hunt with commercial cast bullets? No way. I'll cast my own super-accurate bullets for hunting. But for the time being it is worthwhile for me to buy commercial cast bullets.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast