Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i bought powder!.....but am curious...(this is a jug question.)

Boolit Master

i bought powder!.....but am curious...(this is a jug question.)

recently i did some searching for the black 4 pound plastic jugs EXACTLY like all the major players use.
    peeled a label off the factory 1 pound jug and re-glued it to the new 4 pound jug.

my reason? ......... shelf space. i do have a lot of powder types and several of each in those little round or square bottles.

so i carefully condensed each powder type and brand to one jug for that label.
    example: 4 little bottles of h110 powder now has its own 4 pound jug! .....less foot print.

and i'm o.c.d. enough that i like everything to be uniform....close to being "Monk" ......but not yet.
    its a gift...and a curse.

yesterday i bought a 8 pound jug of ww296 ................and a 1 pound bottle of same.

this behemoth of a jug was the size of 1/2 a bed pillow ....i'm sure you all know of what i'm describing....

so i get home and prepare my 2 brand new 4 pound jugs to receive....hope fully my new "9" pounds of powder.

imagine my surprise when all 9 pounds of powder went into only one 4 pound jug???

why that huge jug then....if they only fill it 40% full?

Boolit Grand Master

So when it sits on the shelf at the store, the consumer thinks he is getting a large quantity of powder. Also, they size their 8 pound jug for their least dense offering, and denser powders will have more free space.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

I think it comes down to a stocking issue? Carry 1 container that will receive a given volume of the bulkiest product and then put everything into it. Same goes for the outer cardboard boxes. Less sizes means less stock to carry. What you do with it when it is in your hands is your dilemma!

Boolit Buddy

That is a head scratcher. Did you weigh it? It may have to do with the density of the powder. They may make some powders that are light and fluffy enough that they require a jug that big. And since they want to remain consistent on the jug size, the more dense powders don't fill up the same jug. Either that or it is a marketing gimmick.

Boolit Buddy

Wow, I'm third in line! I guess I need to type faster?

Boolit Master
    actually...i did weigh it.

8.79 pounds....i'm not happy about that either.

Boolit Master
    must be what blaser said....however, i did buy H-6 in the 4 pound jug size....and sure enuf there was 8 pounds in it.

Boolit Grand Master

mozeppa I don't think you are OCD or you would have mentioned lot numbers on the one pounders you mixed together, now you've created your own lot
    Charter Member #148

Vaguely remember reading something about powder cans providing enough airspace to allow the can to split and relieve pressure before exploding in event of a fire. Could also be a sales gimmick, though I guess.

Everything now days is like this, look at potato chips....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch2570 View Post
    Everything now days is like this, look at potato chips....
    This is one of my pet peeves, the very reason I do not buy chips unless I can see through the bag, so clear bags for me.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    so i carefully condensed each powder type and brand to one jug for that label.
    example: 4 little bottles of h110 powder now has its own 4 pound jug! .....less foot print.

I would say that you also have made the newest powder equal to the oldest powder in that container. With the recent threads on degraded powder, what is the benefit of having one large container repeatedly opened and closed. With small containers, that can remains sealed until needed, this does not become a problem. What is the benefit of shorter shelf life?

Boolit Master

I am sure the powdermakers have enough inventory to keep up with now. Imagine if they had to size every jug to the powder it contained. They just make one big jug to fit all.

Boolit Grand Master

I hope all those combined bottles were from the same lot. Otherwise if there is a recall you have no way of knowing. It could also effect the burn rate.

As far as bottle sizes. They are sized for the bulkiest powders, almost. It makes sense to have one or two bottle sizes instead of one for every powder type. One of the exceptions is Trail Boss. You get less than a pound in a one pound container. But the weight is clearly marked on the label.

Boolit Grand Master

I figger the first two fellers are right. One container, mebbe too big for one powder, but just right for another, but only have to buy/stock one size. Quite common with today's manufacturers.

I worked on HD construction equipment as an equipment electrician and when replacing an engine wiring harness on a fairly new crane, noticed there were extra connectors and wires that went nowhere. After talking to the rep., I found out the company used one harness for 4 or 5 different models. Harnesses were designed for the equipment with the most accessories/components and used on everything
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The last time I was able to buy powder at the LGS I sometimes haunt, I bought a pound of Red Dot and also what I thought was a pound of 700X. The salesman pointed out that if I only purchased a pound of powder, the 700X was the better buy as it was a $1 cheaper than the Red Dot. Well, I was just happy to find powder so I bought both the Red Dot and the 700X. (This is the first 700X I've ever purchased). When putting it away at home, I had to laugh . . . yea, the 700X WAS $1 cheaper than the Red Dot . . BUT . . . the container also states that it is 14 ounces and not 16 ounces like the Red Dot.

But hey . . . I'm not complaining as I was happy to get it . . . but it will teach me to pay more attention to the quantity listed on the container.

That's funny I'm OCD in the other direction, to avoid needless opening and exposing my 8lbers to air and mositure, I will open the 8lbers and fill my smaller 1lb bottles of powder(I NEVER re-lable I just use an empty of the same powder) then I use the 1lbers on the bench( as noted the 1 lbers in most cases hold nearly 2 pounds), so I'm not exposing my big 8 lb jug to air, every time I top off the powder measure or need to switch powders,

Less opening, less humidity gets to the powder Got to keep your powder dry
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    just to set everyone's mind to ease....yes i am ocd.

yes they were all bought by the brands from the same production run.

i'm not stoooopid!

Boolit Master
    as for "shelf life"....heh...heh....there is way more "shelf life" in my 110 pounds of powder than there is "shelf life" in me!!!!

the 4lb container has half of it full of powder
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast