Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: To soften or not to soften...

Boolit Bub

To soften or not to soften...

I just received my order from Carolina Cast Bullets (.359 dia. 175 gr. GC for my 6" .357) and am wondering how you you guys know when you need to soften the nose of the bullet? I plan on hunting deer this fall and have heard both sides and am wondering what is best. Any advice would be appreciated! TIA!

Boolit Buddy
    You don't say what the BHN of those boolits is. Can't tell you much without that info. Lacking that, I'd say don't overthink or complicate things. Load 'em up and if they group adequately, go shoot something with them. The BHN, velocity, and target all can influence your thinking, but don't get too wound up until you have real data and ​hopefully real live experience to support your thought process. FWIW Pilgrim

Boolit Master

Can you scratch it with your thumb nail? How does it perform, i.e. what does it look like after hitting milk jugs filled with water or soaked paper?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure that is the Ranch Dog design....that WFN will do the killing without the need for expansion.....hit them where they need to be hit and sharpen your knives.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Pretty sure that is the Ranch Dog design....that WFN will do the killing without the need for expansion.....hit them where they need to be hit and sharpen your knives.
    Spot on. I absolutely concur.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I totally agree with#4 -5 posts. I shoot the NOE version of this boolit, if it is the RD design. Mine are WDWWs, 1100 FPS. With or without checks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

Holes kill things. That bullet creates a fairly large hole. If you're worried about hardness and expansion I would start casting my own bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Let the meplat do the crushing, don't worry about expansion. Your hardness should match your pressure and velocity. I don't think you can soften the nose without softening the rest of the bullet, since you can't case-harden lead. Besides that, softening a nose would make it unstable since there is no support. Hunting rounds shouldn't have a nose, but a meplat instead.