WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Lynching party in Detroit.......

For some reason Dad always got the biggest motor available, back in the 'order-your-own' days. His company did a lot of refit line work for the Claycomo plant. He got some strange deals from Ford, who was known to bolt anything that would work together. It was the biggest whale looking 65? merc. Mom was always getting speeding tickets with her foot off the pedal. It would run 40 at idle on the flat. Could have been a 460, long time ago. I do remember somebody set a speed record with an old Tbird, 560? bored out Linc. motor. Had a girl (friend) in HS who's dad was a mechanic with a house FULL of service manuals for all makes. He told me Chevy had an alum. V8 OHV in '17, I didn't believe him so he went and got the books. Hope that stuff eventually made it to a museum someplace. Funniest front suspension I ever saw was an early (AU?) tube, hinged spindle bottom & coil spring inside the tube axle.
    Anyway, finally changed the plugs on the 4runner @ 100K, did front brakes too. No complaints on certain vehicles.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Reliable, easy to maintain and easy to repair are 3 different things. We shouldn't have to pick 2.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    I never understood why more of the 24 hour racing tech does not trickle down. You can change just about anything on those in 15 minutes; so they should be able to make it so you can service your own a little easier. I had the joy of changing out another Dodge minivan EGR valve this weekend that is installed before they put the intake and accessories on the engine during assembly. It was much easier the second time knowing what contortion I had to go through and which odd bits to move or loosen to get to that last bolt in the seemingly inaccessible spot.

Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    I have a 3L motor in a Ford Fusion now way in *** to get to the back plugs.
    Piece of cake, remove the upper intake.

Boolit Master
    Guys, it is real simple. The engineers design the car to last forever. The parts manufacturers do not design the parts to the same standard.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    My defroster motor smoked yesterday.

First step in removing the fan motor?

REMOVE ENGINE.

What kind of nonsense is that?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Wait 'til you put a starter and a water pump on a Northstar.

Or replace the head gaskets on a 6.0L F-250 (gotta pull off the cab).

A radiator in ANYTHING is a cakewalk.

Rant over.

Gear
    I changed the text to RED to highlight your problem!

I am trying to hang onto my 2000 F250 with a 7.3 as long as I can!!!! It is starting to rust some but in the ten years I have owned it I have had very little problems. My wife has a 2001 Excursion with the 7.3 also. It has over 200k and still going strong. Rust so far has been our only enemy.

Good luck with the six-leaker.

I still have room to climb in under our hoods even with intercooler and turbo piping going every which way.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

By the way, you can replace headgaskets on a 6.0 without removing the cab, it ain't easy but it can be done, I've done at least 40-50 different trucks.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFrox View Post
    Worst job I ever had to do as an auto mechanic before joining the military was when I had to change the spark plugs on a late-model minivan. I had to get to the engine through the floor panel in the front passenger seat. Broke two spark plug wires trying to get them out, and had to replace the plug wires as well as the plugs. Took something like 2 hours.

I miss the old vehicles where there was enough room to climb into the engine compartment with the engine, close the hood, and take a nap. Nowadays engines have too much **** on them, and the engine compartment is smaller.

Ford Aerostar 2.9 liter engine, right ?

Once the vehicle leaves the sales floor Detroit doesn't care what kind of money it takes to maintain the car !

There are a few design changes that are mechanic friendly, like multi rib belts that take the place of up to 3 vee belts, and the tensioners that keep the belt tight, 100,000 thousand + mile sparkplugs, ,silica free 50,000 mile antifreeze that doesn't go acidic.

But mostly the thoughts behind most modern automotive design, is to maximize profit.
    Last edited by dagger dog; 10-20-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    My defroster motor smoked yesterday.

First step in removing the fan motor?

REMOVE ENGINE.

What kind of nonsense is that?
    Sheesh, what model

Frosted Boolits

This thread applies to Bobcat skidsteers also...
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

It always seems like the parts are "stacked".... generally with the ones least likely to need repair on top. What really bugs me is a part with 4-5 bolts holding it on....of which one bolt can't be removed unless 2-3 other parts, each with their own 4-5 bolts, are removed.

I was looking at a Clinton repair manual the other day on how to remove a part from my 95 Dakota. According to the manual it only takes 3-4 steps to remove the part...... they only neglect to tell you about the 6-8 things that are in the way.................

I'm supprised more mechanics don't commit suicide.............................

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Sheesh, what model
    Thought I would finally break down after all these years and try a rice burner.

2002 Toyota Echo with 106,000 miles and averaging about 39 MPG.

Probably cost more to replace the blower motor than the car is worth.

In Remembrance
    When I used to work on cars (notice I said "used to") I learned real fast a lesson. They could give a rip how much trouble it takes to repair something, and so long as it sells that's all they care about.

All they want folks to do is bring them in for repair, and of course since it takes longer they make more money from you.

THAT'S ALL THEY CARE ABOUT.....IT"S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

BWB - try this, yes they are not cheap.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    ...... his engine had double four barrels...
    I remember duel quads. Good thing gas was a quarter then. My brother has a foreign job of some kind with 3 duces that had to be timed. That was a chore and he seemed to have 10 thumbs and was about as mechanically inclined as an ape which means I had to do it all the time. HUUUUMMMM maybe he wasn't as dumb as I thought, only took me 40 years to make that observation. I'll get even some day.

Boolit Grand Master
    I never saw an auto mechanic use one, but the motorcycle mechanics used to use a manometer to synchronize carbs on multi-cylinder bikes. I have a sneaking suspicion that one would help on multi carb setups in cars.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    BWB - try this, yes they are not cheap.
    Try what??

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I never saw an auto mechanic use one, but the motorcycle mechanics used to use a manometer to synchronize carbs on multi-cylinder bikes. I have a sneaking suspicion that one would help on multi carb setups in cars.

Robert
    Possibly because the ones (at least some of them on autos were progressive, on motorcycles they all set the same. I ran a 3 duece setup on my goat for a short time, went back to the 4 barrel. The 3 dueces made a whopping 2 horsepower more. lol It wasn't worth the hassle.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Manometers were useful for setting Weber carbs.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast