WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob gathering components & equipment

Boolit Bub

Smile Noob gathering components & equipment

I am in the learning process, have been reloading a while & bought the Lyman cast bullet handbook, have a little lead, Lee melting pot on order.

Thinking about the Lee molds as this will fit my budget for all my calibers & be readily available. I want some of the Mihec molds but they appear to be extinct (without a long wait), maybe in the future on the Mihecs.

I have read that when learning to cast the 2 cavity molds are better but I have a tendancy to "go big or stay home" with some things so the 4-6 cavity appeal to me more.

Thanks in advance, I have lurked here for a while & am a bit overloaded with info on this site.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I agree that with fewer things to go wrong, learning is easier. I started with a 2 cavity Lee mold, a Coleman stove, a stainless steel pot a slotted spoon, a Lee ladle, and a mallet. That's about bottom line for casting bullets. I cast bullets with this set-up for nearly a year, keeping my .44s fed, before I got an electric pot.

Mold temperature with a 2 cavity mold is a bit easier to control and making enough bullets won't turn into drudgery. I have an old Lyman 429421 from the '70s that casts an excellent bullet, but it's a single cavity and it really takes a "need" to cast enough bullets outta that mold; slow! One of my favorite molds is a 6 cavity, and the pot empties quickly so I gotta keep my eye on that and the pile grows rapidly, but I've been casting for quite a while and watch my bullets closely to check for cool cavities. Best for learning, IMO, is a two cavity; easy to handle, easy to control temp., and makes enough bullets each session.

Nuttin' wrong with Lee molds, I have 8 of them and even though Lee molds have a different "personality" than my Lyman molds, I get a lot of good bullets from them. I too am looking forward to a premium, semi-custom mold, but for now my present molds keep me well supplied for 7 different calibers.

I've often heard it said "The only way to learn to cast bullets, is to cast bullets", so when yer pot comes in, get casting...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-18-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Well, I agree that with fewer things to go wrong, learning is easier. I started with a 2 cavity Lee mold, a Coleman stove, a stainless steel pot a slotted spoon, a Lee ladle, and a mallet. That's about bottom line for casting bullets. I cast bullets with this set-up for nearly a year, keeping my .44s fed, before I got an electric pot.

Mold temperature with a 2 cavity mold is a bit easier to control and making enough bullets won't turn into drudgery. I have an old Lyman 429421 from the '70s that casts an excellent bullet, but it's a single cavity and it really takes a "need" to cast enough bullets outta that mold; slow! One of my favorite molds is a 6 cavity, and the pot empties quickly so I gotta keep my eye on that and the pile grows rapidly, but I've been casting for quite a while and watch my bullets closely to check for cool cavities. Best for learning, IMO, is a two cavity; easy to handle, easy to control temp., and makes enough bullets each session.

Nuttin' wrong with Lee molds, I have 8 of them and even though Lee molds have a different "personality" than my Lyman molds, I get a lot of good bullets from them. I too am looking forward to a premium, semi-custom mold, but for now my present molds keep me well supplied for 7 different calibers.

I've often heard it said "The only way to learn to cast bullets, is to cast bullets", so when yer pot comes in, get casting...

+1.

I have several Lee 2 and 6 cavity molds. The 6 cavity molds tend to get too hot and cool off slower. With a 2 cav, I can just fill'er up and dump them.

With the 6 cavity I have to keep a fan blowing on the mold all the time it is empty and even then after four or five fillings they will get sticky and I have to just lay it down and let it cool.

Moral: You will not get three times as many bullets per hour with the six cavity as with the two.

On a Saturday afternoon in cool weather, I can get 400 to 500 from a two cavity mold with fewer rejects.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have over 26 Lee molds. I buy only 6 bangers when avaialble for what I want to cast and 2 bangers for those they only have in that style.

I feel 6 is no harder than a 2. And I get all 6 cavities producing perfect drops each time.........yield = 3X that of a 2 cavity.......for me! Your mileage may vary.

Preheat your mold to CASTING TEMP, not just "spit sizzlin' hot" on an electric hotplate and you will be just fine. I drop wrinkle free boolits on the 1st drop from both styles by doing that. Some dip the end of the mold in the lead, but all you usually get is a sub-temp mold and lead stuck all over the end!

You can also use the hotplate to preheat your feed ingots going into your pot to reduce cycle time! I set the dial to just under where they start to liquify on the plate and let them get up to temp while I am casting. Then, just drop a few in and they melt almost immediately.

Also if you ARE using a bottom pour, keep a butane goose neck lighter handy to heat up the spigot at 1st, as it will proably not pour right at first and after adding more ingots. The cast away!

I hope you ordered the 4-20 bottom pour. Most prefer that one. Some like ladle casting but I find it too slow. You can really crank out tons of slugs with a bottom pour and a 6 banger mold!!!!!!

I drop them in a flat cake pan with water and a towel. Not to get hardness, just to cool them off. I powder coat all boolits for no leading. And perrrdy colors!

You can tell if your lead is hot enough if the sprue turns dull in about 4-5 seconds. Another indicator of temp is the sizzle the dropped boolits have when the hit the water. They should "talk to you" (sizzle) sharply and not just plunk in! If no sizzle, your lead is not hot enough or you are letting the mold full of lead cool too long.

Also the sprue should cut EASILY.......no hard pounding or whacking required if correct temp is achieved. On 6 bangers, I just sift the sprue wooden handle easily. On 2 bangers I gently nudge it open with a small rawhide mallet and a VERY light tap or two.

If you feel so inclined, buy at casting thermometer. I have never used one or a controller and get perfect boolits 99.9% of the time. Practice makes perfect. Just get out there and cast. You will learn fast. And remember, bad ones melt down again real easy!!!!!!

Welcome to the insanity!

Read the stickies and ask questions if you cannot find answers.

bangerjim
    Last edited by bangerjim; 10-18-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Bub
    It is the 4-20 bottom pour that I have ordered, also going to pick up a thermometer to take some guesswork out of temps.

Banned

Get the Tel Tru thermometer

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055777EU/...I3IC3M6K4UXVM3

I have both 2 and 6 cavity Lee Precision molds and like them both. For around $20 the 2 cavity is a good place to start. Regardless, if you don't like the mold you can sell it and get most of your $$$ back.
    Last edited by jmort; 10-18-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Also buy a stenogrophers note book. Break it into calibers sections and then molds ( makes it easier to find what your looking for. Keep notes on what you do and how it works out, IE alloy, temps, how you preheated mould, casting techniques, ambient temperature. After a few sessions you can look up everything and start of right from the start of the session. Also eventually there will be moulds that are used occasionally and this infor will make remembering much easier. Also inside the cover lists equipment and date purchased as years down the road it may be an insight. Also dont forget when casting Saftey Glasses heavy clothing and shoes. An leather apron is nice at times. Leather gloves. Be as safe as possible.

Boolit Master
    If you have a Production Pot 4 ordered, you'll have the capacity to use 6 cav molds. If, along the way, a six cavity would be easier, then by all means, try 'em out! Being the violin-player type, I waited for years before buying the 20 pound bottom pour and some six bangers. Should have done it five years ago.

Good Luck,
    Ron
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    +1.

I have several Lee 2 and 6 cavity molds. The 6 cavity molds tend to get too hot and cool off slower. With a 2 cav, I can just fill'er up and dump them.

With the 6 cavity I have to keep a fan blowing on the mold all the time it is empty and even then after four or five fillings they will get sticky and I have to just lay it down and let it cool.

Moral: You will not get three times as many bullets per hour with the six cavity as with the two.

On a Saturday afternoon in cool weather, I can get 400 to 500 from a two cavity mold with fewer rejects.
    I realize it is possible to get overwhelmed, but is it realistic to run 2 6 cavity molds at once? Alternating them to allow a little cooling?
    NRA Lifetime Member

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

my feedback thread;
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=dieselrealtor

Boolit Grand Master

It may take longer to get them up to temp depending on pre heat methods. But on other hand even with bigger bullets and a fairly brisk pace they shouldnt over heat and throw frosted bullets either. Start slow and get good then start adding speed to the process. Get the procedures and cadences down first.

Boolit Grand Master
    I run 2 six cavity molds all the time.

banger

Boolit Bub
    I realize this is a stupid question but the learning curve has to begin somewhere

Can you tumble lube with alox a bullet that did not come from a TL mold?
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

Boolit Master

Yes you can.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselrealtor View Post
    I realize this is a stupid question but the learning curve has to begin somewhere

Can you tumble lube with alox a bullet that did not come from a TL mold?
    Of course. I used to do it all the time B4 I started powder coating all my boolits.

bangerjim

Boolit Master
    There are many fine producers of quality molds (production molds) Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, Ballisticast, and custom makers such as Accurate and LBT that can have a QUALITY mold in very little time.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a point - If you want one of Miha's molds - order them now, don't wait. You don't pay until he is ready to ship, so it's only the wait. If you know what you want go ahead and put your name in the pot.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Just a point - If you want one of Miha's molds - order them now, don't wait. You don't pay until he is ready to ship, so it's only the wait. If you know what you want go ahead and put your name in the pot.
    Good point, I think I will do that.
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

In Remembrance
    Duh, no mention of NOE, they are some purty molds.

Boolit Bub
    I am planning to order at least 1 NOE mold, thanks.
    NRA Lifetime Member

my feedback thread;

I've had more luck with the 6 cavity molds than the the 2 cav ones. I run a 6 cav 9mm 120 TC and usually a lyman 429421 44 mold and they both drop very nice boolits after 2-3 tries. I would go for the 6 bangers myself, but watch the cam lever. Maybe it's just me but I keep breaking the lever on the 230 TC 45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast