Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: looking for load info for S&W 629

looking for load info for S&W 629

I recently picked up a nice older 629-2 Classic w6" bbl and unfluted cyl, and I am looking for advice on an accurate load for this. I have the Lee C429-240 and NOE 432-265 wfn molds on hand. So far I haven't found the "accurate" load that I seek with these boolits. I size them to .431 which seems to be right at the throat dimension as they just push thru with light resistance. The NOE is my go to boolit for hunting and my load of 19.5 gr H110 is shooting at a little under 1200 fps. but is not as accurate as I like. This load shoots great in my Henry BB at 1435 fps and shot good out of my Ruger SBH Hunter with 7 1/2" bbl. at 1250 fps. Just wondering if I should push them a little faster or use different powder etc.
    Has anyone had experience with this boolit in a 629 and care to share any info.
    BTW I did not have any leading and am using homemade Ben's Red lube. Great stuff.
    Life member NRA since 1976

Super Moderator

I would recommend that you try a different powder....2400 to be specific. Works very well for me in my 44's.

Boolit Master

I have owned alot of S&W 44-mag revolvers as well as several Ruger-SA, all shot cast boolets sized @ .430 dia excellent except two , a 29-2 and a 629-2 classic unfluted cyl , they had cyl throat deminsins @.432 for the 29 and .433 for the 629-2 . in order to get these two to shoot as well as my other 44 mag handguns i had to beagel my mould to throw a larger boolet and buy a .433 lube/sizer die from Lathsmith.

I have found with my 44 mags as well as the 357 mag & 454 Casull that they all shoot well with a alot of popular pistol powders from Bullseye to 296/H-110, so i dont think the powder choice is that critical for accuracy, just velocity desired .

To properly check cyl throat deminsions , you must perfectly clean cyl throats using the Chor Boy method of wrapping some around a worn brush and cleaning out all build up , beg, borrow or buy a pin guage set to accuratly measure cyl throats , a veriner dial caliper my not be accurate enough!
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 10-20-2014 at 07:33 AM.

my 629 does very well with C429-240-SWC mold , I have to keep it down at about 1000 FPS pushed by Unique, this is only a target round to me, I am sizing .430, I can not get H110/ W296 to preform worth while in this gun with cast boolits, but is a good performer for J-words.

Boolit Master

20.0 grs of 296/H-110 or 18.5 grs of WCC-820 powder was a very popular load for 240/250gr plane base boolets at all the clubs i shot matches at.

9.0 of power pistolis an excellent mid-range load with boolits in your weight range.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I continue to be semi-amazed that folks think that .001 one way or the other will make a big difference in how well a sixgun groups. It make make a difference but it won't make the difference between good and bad groups. The degree of good or bad will only change by a small amount.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the replies. I will be doing some more reloading shortly and will try some different loads and powders. I just haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but was somewhat disappointed that my standby load didn't perform very well in it. I shot a few 240xtps over a stiff load of H110 and they didn't shoot too bad and would probably be ok but I really want to shoot cast in it so I will keep plugging along until I figure out what it likes.

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for 9 gr of Power Pistol and a nod to 10 gr of Unique. These will develop
    from 1000 to 1100 fps in most pistols (maybe more in 8 3/8" bbls, never had one of
    those) and both are very accurate for me with several Keith type 250-ish boolits.

Never had a lot of luck with the couple of Lee .44 Mag molds I tried. Lots of good
    results in other sizes, but the .44s I tried were losers.

Strong recommendation for an LBT or Keith style mold and those loads above.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I use John Taffin's load of 10.5 Unique behind a Lyman 429421. It might not be the Hammer of Thor but I'd bet it will do anything you need it to do.

I think I found my load for the Noe 432-265. I started with 17 gr 2400 and went to 19 in .5 increments. The 17.5 gr load produced nice consistent groups right on poa at 25 yards and were avg 1160 fps. I pushed these up to 1335 but the groups opened up and I had some wild fliers of 4-6" away. The hotter loads kept shooting left seve err al inches but the 17 and 17.5 were right together. All in all it was a beautiful day as i had the day off and i was able to spend a couple hours shooting. Much better than going to work..

I have always heard good things about 17 to 17.5gr loads with 2400. Well known sweet spot for the 44. Mag. I still haven't come across any 2400 in this area. Accurate #9 is as close as it gets around here.

Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    20.0 grs of 296/H-110 or 18.5 grs of WCC-820 powder was a very popular load for 240/250gr plane base boolets at all the clubs i shot matches at.
    WCC 820 is supposed to be the same as Accurate #9 right? I'll have to try that...