RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 7mm Weatherby Rebarrel

7mm Weatherby Rebarrel

I have a like new 7mm Weatherby rifle, with a plastic and a like new wood stock (took off wood stock when bought it and haven't used it).

I was wondering what are my rebore/rebarrel options for this rifle. Seems its resale value isn't quite what I'd thought. The action is so smooth and nice.

What are my rebarrel or rebore options to something between 35 and 416 caliber ?
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to stick with a Weatherby caliber, you choices for bigger bore are going to be 340 Wby. or 375 Wby. The next up from there is 378 Wby. 416 Wby. or 460 Wby. These cartridges however have a larger rim of .579 instead of your rifles bolt face of .512. If you are not stuck on doing a Weatherby cartridge the possibilities are vast including .416 Remington.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

I don't want to stick with a weatherby cartridge necessarily.

The 416 Remington sure looks like it would need a magnum size action, it is a 3.6" overall length cartridge. The 7mm Weatherby is 3.25".

358 Norma looks quite interesting to me. Is that something that could be done?
    Or how about a 416 Taylor ?

This link shows the parent cases: http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_cart...rent_cases.htm
    Last edited by youngda9; 10-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Grand Master
    It really depends on which Weatherby rifle you have. Is it the Mark V or the Howa action?

The Mark V should be okay for any of the Weatherby's or any other cartridge based on the .300 H&H; but may need some magazine work for the full length ones, it has been several years since I had a Mark V. I don't know how hard it would be to open the boltface for the .378 based rounds.

If it is the Howa, I think you are going to have to stick with the ~2.5" cartridges.

With a rebarrel, anything from the .257 Wby to the .458 Win is possible. With a rebore, it depends on the barrel diameter.

I like your idea of the .358 Norma Mag, I am slowly gathering the parts I need to build one on a 98 Mauser.

Robert

It is a Mark V. I don't want to do any bolt-face work, or add a barrel. Just want to know what would work for a re-bore. 416 Taylor really interests me.

Banned
    What are you looking for? On a MK5 action, just about anything but the .378/416/460 Wby works.

Easy job for .375 or 375 Imp., .416Rem/Ruger, .416 Taylor or any other .300Win base cases work great e.g. 375/338, also as you can seat long for case length bullets. I think any .375 or .416 cartridge that fits is a great choice. One other really good choice would be any of the .45s in Lott or Watts etc. as well as the .338s but they are not my favorites.

I have all of them & they shoot & kill great & I have had every Wby & think these are a better choice than .378/.416/.460 in all respects.