Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: GC or PB mold?

Banned

GC or PB mold?

I have a question about gas checks. I want to buy a new mold for my 30-30. I like the RD 311-165 from NOE. The molds offered drop either two gas check bullets or one gas check bullet and one plain based bullet.

In my plinking I shoot about an equal number of full power loads and low power loads with pistol powder.

Should I buy the mold that drops one of each or should I get the mold that drops two gas check bullets and just leave the checks off of the low velocity loads? Will the accuracy be affected that much?

How fast can I push the plain-based bullet with 45-45-10?

Would straight Alox be better?

Any help would be great.

Steve in N CA

sgh, Since you shoot ~equal no.'s of high and low power loads, wouldn't the GC AND PB mold be the better choice? Also, all things being equal, you can push PB CB's as fast as 1500 - 1600 fps with excellent accuracy. As far as alox v. 45-45-10 is concerned, I can offer no advice as I've never used the latter. However, I've used other lubes, e.g., Felix Lube, and have seen no difference between them and alox.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    sgh, Since you shoot ~equal no.'s of high and low power loads, wouldn't the GC AND PB mold be the better choice? Also, all things being equal, you can push PB CB's as fast as 1500 - 1600 fps with excellent accuracy. As far as alox v. 45-45-10 is concerned, I can offer no advice as I've never used the latter. However, I've used other lubes, e.g., Felix Lube, and have seen no difference between them and alox.
    Maven, thank you.

That was my line of reasoning as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I have a question about gas checks. I want to buy a new mold for my 30-30. I like the RD 311-165 from NOE. The molds offered drop either two gas check bullets or one gas check bullet and one plain based bullet.

In my plinking I shoot about an equal number of full power loads and low power loads with pistol powder.

Should I buy the mold that drops one of each or should I get the mold that drops two gas check bullets and just leave the checks off of the low velocity loads? Will the accuracy be affected that much?

How fast can I push the plain-based bullet with 45-45-10?

Would straight Alox be better?

Any help would be great.

Steve in N CA
    I have shot a lot of 30-06, 270, 54R, 300 BO and 5.56 with 45-45-10 lube. Up to 1500 fps I use PB above that I gas check. The one exception is that I always GC for my AR cartridges no matter what speed. For the last 18 months I have been shooting all of the above Powder Coated with accuracy at least as good as the 45-45-10 on cast lead.

Agree with ipijohn. If consistently going above 1400-1500 fps your better off with a good gas check firmly crimped into place with a sizer.

Finding a mold that will throw both seems like a slam dunk.

I love the combined gc and pb moulds from Noe. If your going to shoot a lot of both and want to save money on moulds it's a good deal.

Banned

get the one PB and one GC mould.

can't go wrong with the choice there.

Boolit Master
    I would get the NOE mould that casts both GC and PB bullets. I think a plain base bullet will shoot better than a gas check bullet without the gas check.