MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Hunting with Firearms

In Remembrance
    How many so called free states where a silencer is legal to own, is it legal to hunt with.
    I am not saying it shouldn't change, but I doubt it will even be an option at any cost for the duration of my lifetime in most states.

Boolit Master
    I know Texas allows it. And want to say Alaska does too if I remember right from when I read yall's regs a while back.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

In Remembrance
    I will have to check, but I don't think Ak allows them for hunting. We can own them. I grew up in Texas, but never knew they were legal to hunt with. I did know at least one poacher that built and used his own and used it in Texas though.

Boolit Master
    Thought that crosses my mind regarding the OP goes not so much to the gun, but how it is employed. It goes without saying that reduce noise has intrinsic benefits, but there is a question as to what level of quiet is required.

For purposes of this discussion, I won't be talking about suppressed weapons. They work certainly, but it the main I doubt their necessity.

For or the purpose of hunting, the first consideration to me is whether or not the gun will be effective on the intended quarry. Secondly, is the gun and shooter capable of putting the bullet where it needs to go? Third, is the shooter sufficiently proficient that he can close on the quarry for the shot? If the answers to those questions is affirmative then the last consideration is how quiet does the gun need to be?
    I can't answer that for any particular situation that YOU might encounter, just the ones I do. Here is how I do it.

I still ill hunt with rifles and only on rare occasion do I just sit and wait. Seldom do I shoot further than 20 yards on any game when I'm in my AO. Mild mannered subs work fine but all of my shots are CNS shots, no exceptions.

I made add a terrible mistake a few years ago. Shot 5 hogs without taking a step, and it totaled up to about 600# of pork. Only the sixth got away. He was more puzzled than frightened. No neighbors complained. I was sick of skinning pigs by the time it was all said and done.

CB shorts are not toys. Neither is any other subsonic load. If you doubt that, shoot yourself with a 1911 Colt and let us know how that worked out for you.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master

Wyoming allows it too. One of the arguments made in favor of silencers for hunting was that it makes it harder for grizzlies to pinpoint where the shot came from. Bears in some areas here have come to associate gunfire with fresh elk meat, and will actively seek out the source of the shooting in hopes of stealing the elk from the hunters. I plan on taking a few grouse with my Gemtech Outback silenced browning buckmark next month when I get home.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Cast Hunter

The revolver bird shot loads I detailed here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?218487-Bird-shot-loads-for-revolvers&highlight=, are not exactly "quiet" but are less noisy than full power boolit loads. Shooting them without hearing protection doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    What does it take to use a suppressor? Class 3 or what. Plus many thousands to get one and fit it.
    Since I use revolvers, kind of funny anyway.
    Thousands? You can get a good suppressor for $500 or less. Rim fire suppressors for $299. (http://www.coastalgun.com/Home/Suppr.../Passport.aspx)
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    My opinion is to heck with others, shoot to kill. people that move to hunting areas should have stayed where they came from if it bothers them.
    Exactly right. A lot of people from the city do that, and wonder why there's hunting and shooting happening on their neighbors property all around them.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I will have to check, but I don't think Ak allows them for hunting. We can own them. I grew up in Texas, but never knew they were legal to hunt with. I did know at least one poacher that built and used his own and used it in Texas though.
    Texas allowed possession, as long as you obeyed the NFA laws, but did not allow hunting use until last year for game animals. So before last year, you could use them for coyote, hog, etc. but nothing listed as a "game animal" such as deer, turkey, and such. Never made much sense, but they have been considering it for a while and it finally passed.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Ruger 77/44 suppressed. It is spooky quiet with factory Win 44spl. FL is getting closer to allowing cans for hunting. GA will allow it for the first time this season.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2499 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by timspawn; 10-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Cast Hunter

A friend gave me some CCI Quiet-22 ammo (.22 RF). As the name implies, they are extremely low noise (without a suppressor). Seemed no worse than a pellet gun.

I believe hunting with a suppressor in GA is legal.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Banned

I hear gunfire all around me, even from town and love that second amendment rights are so important so as long as there is a good backstop, I have no gripes at all. I shoot big stuff on my range, even had a friend here with a .50 BMG with no complaints.
    However in places like England they encourage a silencer to keep noise from tender ears.
    I feel they should be legal anywhere. I do not like the idea of a fee to own one. I do not agree with the junk needed to carry either. I believe open carry with a six gun on the hip is American. So is a slung rifle. I would love to see every law abiding person in Wall Mart with a gun. I want teachers in school armed to the teeth.
    Felons with guns are not prosecuted to federal law if caught with a gun. The solution to crime is every one with a gun.

Boolit Master
    My full power hunting loads are considerably quieter than jacketed loads.
    In a long barrel 30-06 a soft 220 gr boolit with a small HP is very quiet when pushed to 1000 fps with a fast powder like bullseye or clays.
    Its also quite potent when placed in the right spot.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    Just fire one shot, it really doesn't matter how loud it is. It is rare a person can tell from what direction one shot came from, two or more and they can hone in on the sound.
    Absolutely true. Been there done that with coyotes in an urbanized area where the coyotes got dangerous but the bunny huggers didn't want the coyotes shot. Also, do your own terminal ballistics tests on the gun and load you want to use to determine the minimum load (muzzle velocity) to do the job penetration wise on what you want to kill at 50 yards and let that be your guide.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    Wonder if a soda can PB gas check would improve that 30 cal as well?

Be nice to have a selection of light and heavy loads in your pocket- even some type of shot load in a sabot or something to get a decent range out of lever actions too. Lever actions are such a great tool. 45 Colt, 45-70, 35 Rem, and 30-30 to work with.
    That Lee 113 is cheap enough to have a pb and gc ones. Run them at different velocities and mark the noses with a colored marker.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Actually the tax stamp for a suppressor is only $200.00
    Wait time for that stamp is approx. 9 months
    Doing a form 1 on eforms is only taking 1-2 month now. Once you have your stamp the parts are sold on ebay as a "solvent trap" look for the D cell. I don't think Pat has the option down there in California unfortunately.
    Edit: Saw one today that someone posted. A form 1 efiled at 4pm on Oct 16th was approved by Oct 17th at 1am. 9 hours! http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/167...ong_wait_.html
    Last edited by xacex; 10-19-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Boolit Bub
    How many so called free states where a silencer is legal to own, is it legal to hunt with.
    I am not saying it shouldn't change, but I doubt it will even be an option at any cost for the duration of my lifetime in most states.
    http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/silencermapx600.jpg

Banned

Thanks for posting that Art!

Banned

I want to start back up R&D on and old Idea I have for birdshot out of a Marlin 45-70 in a manner that produces a tighter pattern for longer ranges, then just a shot load. If it works, I will start PatHornady... and retire...

Banned

The Sub Sonic suppressed 308 is amazing. Sounds like a hammer hitting a nail. I have a close friend who makes really nice suppressors for a living in another state, but I can't have one...

Cast Hunter

That map is a little out of date. The current GA hunting regs state on page 8:

"SUPPRESSED FIREARMS are now legal for hunting on private land with landowner permission."

I believe that started 3 years ago.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast