Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stealth Hunting with Firearms

Boolit Master
    Outpost what do you mean?

rook rifle-type throat

Sounds like a nice setup.

Thnx
    Last edited by barrabruce; 04-21-2020 at 05:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    Does sitting in a rocking lawn chair in cover between there the deer want to bed and where they want to eat count as stealth? Hey bow hunters aren't fools, but I prefer a rifle.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Outpost what do you mean?

rook rifle-type throat

Sounds like a nice setup.

Thnx
    .363" major diameter of forcing cone entrance ahead of case mouth chamfer from .388 case mouth diameter.

No cylindrical ball seat or freebore, but long taper forcing cone 3 degrees Basic (6 degree total included angle) which matches contour of Accurate 36-220H or 36-240H bullets so that its forepart is lightly engraved upon chambering.

Dave Manson produced the reamer which John Taylor has, is identified as .380 Rook Harris Rev. 11-17

If you want to PM me with an email address which will accept a .pdf file, which I am unable to attach here, I'll send you the reamer and headspace gage drawing.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    A pistol caliber carbine (16" bbl) with a heavy subsonic round is your best bet without a suppressor. And a 44 or 45 would be best at least for deer. Small game just use a subsonic .22 rf.
    Mine has a 20-inch barrel. .380 MkIIz 178-grain FMJ does not exit every time, but lubricated lead bullets do.

Attachment 260867
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

This works decently in a Contender Carbine. It's a sub sonic 35-200 clone in a 357Sig, and at 1050fps has about as much muzzle engergy as a full pressure 125gr from a .357 Magnum pistol. It's not as quiet as .22 rimfire, but it's sure no .308Win.

35 yards:

Short, light weight.

THAT is cool..!

So what is the caliber of your Encore?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
    THAT is cool..! So what is the caliber of your Encore?
    Um, are you referring to my post? I don't think there's mention of an Encore in the entire thread.

Boolit Master
    A small reload kit for cat's sneeze loads for 30-06 consisting of:
    Three cases fired, but unsized in your rifle, 100 lead balls already sized and aloxed, 100 primers, a leatherman tool, a decapping punch,a 1/4 lb. Bullseye, a .22 LR case with a soldered on handle, or a twisted wire handle to dip 3.0 grs, powder into fired case, new primer can be set on flat part of leatherman and case forced down onto fresh primer.
    Actually only need one case, but couple extra can be kept loaded and ready and replacements if single case dropped and lost.
    Also a dipper of bullseye can help to start a fire on humid day when tinder is stubborn.
    Many states regulations forbid the carrying of a handgun while hunting with a rifle. Same with building a cooking fire.
    It depends on your wants and needs.
    All I need is the rifle I'm carrying
    and a way to make a few cat's sneeze loads.
    Trying to do it the way Townsend Whelan would have understood.
    Of course you have your hunting ammo and shelter half and are dressed for the time of year.
    My 2 cts
    This all presupposes that you have spent the time it takes to reload these under controlled conditions and also know the aiming point using your hunting rifle to make accurate, small game killing hits before you try this on your big game hunting trip.
    Same goes for building a fire and cooking your catch of the day.
    Several rehearsals are called for so you can gain proficiency as a woodsman.
    It all depends on your learning curve.
    It's harder than it looks, but none of it is impossible if you want to learn.
    Practice makes perfect. You should be gathering tinder and small twigs as you hunt and should be wearing a large cloth bag on a strap to stuff your fire starters and dry sticks for your evening fire long before you get to your campsite.
    Also, small mouse nest of dry easy to start fluff and soft dried bark and maybe tree fungus.
    You will learn what to collect and carry for later when you need it, but it's getting dark and not the time to be hunting for what you should already have.
    Same goes for your skills at reloading your cat's sneeze and harvesting small game with the same loads.
    Practice and patience.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 06-15-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Boolit Master

C-r-o-s-s-b-o-w!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    +1 for the Ghille suit. It is truely the cloak of invisibility. I have had a small wren light on my arm and I had a flock of 11 hen turkeys feed 4 paces away from me for 5 min. Folks, that's 22 turkey eyes and if you don't make eye contact with a critter and the wind is right, it is the cat's meow for close in hunting. That's why I Laurer coated my SRH. If I need to get stealthy, I use the crossbow. McFreds rig looks promising and I have often given thought to a subsonic Encore or Contender in 44 spl or mag with a can on it for deer size game. We are not talking long range here, sometimes feet instead of yards. I use a folding directors chair(camo) and use boughs and branches from the surrounding brush to make a semi circle around me to further break up my outline and wear a face mask to cover my mug. Leafy gloves help too.
    Last edited by murf205; 06-15-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I wouldn’t wear a Ghille suit if you paid me. You probably wouldn’t survive and the idiot that killed you wouldn’t even know it. Enough people get shot wearing blaze orange. A friends Dad was shot off his tractor and killed in Ohio deer season. Bad times will put more idiots in the woods. In the biggest part of the USA a 22 will kill anything you come across. One shot and nobody knows what direction it came from. Rather than sign up on a government list and spend big bucks on suppressors and such you would be better served to use the money to buy beef jerky. I think you would survive longer this way.

Some 25-yard open sight groups, 100 yard gong hits and pressure test data from Larry Gibson for a .455 rook rifle. Quiet like .22 LR standard velocity, full-length deer penetration on raking and Texas Heart Shots.

.455 Colt/Eley, 265grain lead ogival nose HB, fired from 20-inch Rook Rifle
    Optimum trajectory for max bullet rise 3 inches, zero range 60 yds., max. point blank 72 yds.
    Simple iron sights one inch above bore.

Yds_Drop(ins)_Vel.(fps)_Energy(ft.lbs.)
    0___-0.9584___680____272
    10___1.1536___675____268
    20___2.5025___670____264
    30___3.0769___665____260 Max. 3-inch bullet rise
    40___2.8653___660____256
    50___1.8561___655____252
    60___0.0377___651____249
    70__-2.6020___646____246
    80__-6.0750___641____242
    90_-10.3934___637____239
    100_-15.5696__632____235 - 100 yd rifle impact approximates MkVI revolver near muzzle.

Attachment 263701Attachment 263703Attachment 263704Attachment 263702Attachment 263705Attachment 263706
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-16-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    My "rook rifle" has been for many years also a Contender Carbine but in 9mm Luger. While not quiet since it throw 135 gr boolits at above sonic speed, it is very easy on unprotected ears. I recently acquired a Ruger Mod77/357 bolt gun that I am working up loads for right around sonic velocity with a 190 gr WFPB boolit that should also be easy on the ears. The 9mm is "minute of pop can" with iron sights at 125 yards so is more than adequate for accuracy.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345