Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 32-40 falling block

Boolit Master

32-40 falling block

I took my 32-40 rifle with the Falling Block Works action to the range yesterday. I took the wrong scope with me so I had to zero the rifle again. I had only shot the rifle once before with another scope. After I got on target It was easy to see this rifle had potential. I would like to say that the target was at a hundred yards but being the honest guy that I am I have to confess it was only fifty. Once I was set up I was just too lazy to move the target frame. I am attaching pictures of the rifle and the target. I did not want the rifle when I bought it but I had to buy it to get the rifle I did want as well as some really good bullet molds and a Lyman STS scope. The bullet I loaded was out of a Hoch mold. It casts slightly over .321 and weighs 165 grains. I used 12.5 grains of 4227 and a CCI primer. Once again I was not allowed to post more than one picture. I will drop off and post the others in a reply.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Here are pictures of the afore mentioned rifle, hopefully. Sorry. site will not allow me to post more pictures. I don't understand the problem. I reduce all pictures to less than 200 KB and I have only used a fraction of the space allowed.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    The .32-40 is a great cartridge in a single shot rifle. I've been working for the past few months with a couple of mine. Almost exclusively with black powder, but before the end of the year I'd like to work up a load with 4227. Have you tried breech seating in your rifle?

Chris.

Boolit Master

Breach seating

Gunlaker, I have tried breach seating in the past but the range we go to now doesn't allow powder measures on the line along with other restrictions so I can't even try it. I did get some breach seating tools with the rifle collection I bought. When I can find some small vials to hold powder maybe I can sneak it pas the range master. I have another 32-40 that has a fantastic barrel on it. I may try it the next time we make it to the range. I am going to try again to post a picture of the rifle. Ah, success.

Boolit Bub
    You wouldn't need to take a powder measure to try breech seating; since it's prohibited at your range.
    You can pre-charge a batch of cases at home, using a wad in the case mouth to avoid spillage. They can be put in rows in a loading block or cartridge box, with each row a different powder charge for load development. For example, 1st row 12 grains of xyz powder, 2nd row 12.5 grains...etc. If you start low and find pressures are getting higher than you'd like to continue with; the remainder can be simply emptied out when you get home. The same thing can be done with primer variations. I just stick a note on the box lid to keep track of what's in each row of cases. I prefer to take a batch of cases already pre-loaded; it means I can shoot more during the time I'm at the range vs using a single case. And can mean more shots during a wind condition.
    good luck

Boolit Master
    I used to use precharged cases when breech seating. It'll work well if you cork your cases. I recently bought some glass vials from Buffalo Arms. They work well for transporting measured powder charges.

At my range no one seems to care abou powder measures, but that could change. A couple of weeks ago somebody must have been curious about my powder measure as they worked the handle when I wasn't looking and dumped a charge of black powder all over the ground. that sort of thing can make the range officers unhappy.

Chris.

I think this is one place the dacron fiber fill some use for lower charged cases would shine.

You could precharge the case, shove a hunk down there, a straightened out fishhook would pull it out if you were concerned about it.

If you weight a few so you get to see what 3/4's of a grain looks like you can get pretty good at cutting them.

Or cut strips an inch wide, and weigh a 6 in strip. That will pretty quickly tell you if you need to slice it into 4 pieces, 5, or more.
    The stuff my wife had in storage was pretty irregular, but ol scotch me won't waste that stuff. LOL

Doesn't take long with a scale to put together enough pieces for 20 rounds, and then poke them into place.

Anything else you can use to hold the powder you want to make sure you can't chamber with it in place or you'll end up shooting it down the bore behind a boolit.