MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sorry XCB

Boolit Grand Master
    I know, trust me, I already know.

I really need to make up a list of what I need now, what can wait a bit, and what might be nice down the road.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I don't need help spending money, I'm doing fine with that all by myself.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    I know if I ever got a lathe I'd start looking into making all sorts of swaging dies once I got oriented.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Good thing is that I can rest assured the lathe won't ask for new shoes!
    Would you bet your last dollar on that
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-BEND-9...item20eddfa074
    A lathe shoe goes under a set screw to hold a set tolerance and still allow movement of the part.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Now the fun begins. Actually,his deepest,darkest desire is to build a MA Duce from scratch.Hehehe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

I welded the key to a chain and bolted it to the drill press at school. I also weld a pair of mig pliers to a chain and fasten it to the mig welders. Haven't had a kid loose a
    the chuck key or misplace the pliers since then.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations , you will be amazed at all you can do with a lathe.I would suggest you find a copy of the old Southbend "how to run a lathe" manual.Lots of good information that still works all these years later.You can find new reprints in a bound version as well as on C.D.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/How-To-Run-A...item1e93a68b3e
    If you are unwilling to defend even your own lives, then you are like mice trying to 'negotiate' with owls. You regard their ways as 'wrong', they regard you as dinner. John Farnam

Boolit Grand Master
    I just got a CD copy in the mail today from a member here. Thanks Keith.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Might also want to give a look at Grizzly Industrial a look.They have some great books on lathe work and operations.DVD and
    book form.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master

Working on a Lee style push thru sizer. Top is a Lee, bottom is my work in progress. A lock nut threads on nicely, that made me very happy.

Now to get the right size drill and reamer then hone to the final size.

I am learning to think things thru to get everything done in the right order.

Boolit Grand Master

A light touch with a fine file accross the threads will remove the burrs and chatter you see making the thread look more professional/ finnished. Tirning a 7/8 thread .005-.008 under will leave that small flat on the point of the thread and also leave a little clearence so the thread rides on the flats better.

Boolit Grand Master
    A small file I have on hand. I was pretty happy with the threading for my first attempt. I was wondering if I took too deep a cut when threading. It took about 10 cuts to get the threads to the point where a lock but threaded on easily.

I am learning about chatter. Started with too much sticking out from Chuck and took too heavy a cut. Lots of chatter. Mover it closer to the Chuck, took lighter cuts, not more chatter.

We need a learn to run a lathe subforum lol. Btroj you can moderate.

Looks like your doing purty well already with your new toy. So how soon can I get my orders in?
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Grand Master
    No orders at this time. No sub forum either please, I don't want to rile the waters. I figure on making for just myself for now but I'm sure Paul will get a few toys soon.

Youtube is a big help. I don't listen as much as I observe, so much is learning how to set the tools.

I will say that some members here have sent me very valuable information. I greatly appreciate the help guys.

Boolit Grand Master

I spent roughly 35 years as a tool and die maker. We cut threads in 3 to 4 passes normally, but we had heavy solid lathes. Monarchs, Hendi, logans, Shippleys were the norm. Was that a hand ground threading tool on High speed steel or an carbide insert? We used HSS had a fixture for sharpening in a surface grinder, and we ran depending on Dia 400-600 rpms. With practice its good. Lightly stone the HSS bit and a very small radious over the point helps alot also. Compound set to 29 1/2* zero crossfeed and feed on compound. Another trick is put tool in upside down and run machine in reverse, a right hand thread then cuts towards the tail stock. We had aloris tooling and this worked good allowed oil to run into cutter easier and chips dropped straight down allowing you to see what was going on better.

Moderator Emeritus

If you ever work with copper look out, it likes to grab. I flung a piece across my shop the other day and a 6 pound block of flying copper does damage. Left a dent in my lawn mower. Drill bit grabbed, ripped it out of the vice and tossed it just missing me. Glad that piece is fine with a couple surface dents. Next one I make needs a perfectly flat surface for heat transfer. Local machine shop will do that part for me but then I have to drill a dozen mounting holes and tap them.

Boolit Grand Master
    That was a brazed carbide tool. I ran it at 80 RPM as I don't want to crash anything while I'm learning. I did feed using the cross slide set at 30 degrees.
    I have some HSS bits, I just have not yet ground a thread cutting tool. Thst should be a project here soon.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a Grizzly about 8 months back and love it! I've only turned aluminum so far. I do plan to attempt to chamber a barrel blank for my upcoming rifle project but I have to make a spider attachment to hold the blank concentric in the bore first. Congrats on your purchase!

Boolit Grand Master
    That was a brazed carbide tool. I ran it at 80 RPM as I don't want to crash anything while I'm learning. I did feed using the cross slide set at 30 degrees.
    I have some HSS bits, I just have not yet ground a thread cutting tool. Thst should be a project here soon.

Brad,

UUUmmm, seems we have a top shelf machinist on the horizon here.

Looking Good !

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Brad,

UUUmmm, seems we have a top shelf machinist on the horizon here.

Looking Good !

Ben
    Ben, I wish I could accept that compliment.

I have learnd a ton already. I am still learning that the lathe was the cheap part, it is the tooling that gets expensive. Twenty here and twenty there, next thing you know you have a few K in reamers, drills, inserts, and what not. Add in measuring devices and it gets expensive.

Ben, you need a lathe. With the tool skills you already posess you would learn quickly. You also have a mind that comes up with new ways of looking at things, I can only imagine what you would be able to make.

From the look of it you didn't use a 60 degree profile on the thread cutting tool, but I guess it was just a test?
    Back in the good ol' HSS days I used to grind threading tools from HSS parting tool blades. Much less material to remove...
    Cap'n Morgan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast