WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Molds for PPCB cores?

Boolit Master

Molds for PPCB cores?

Hello all! I'm totally new to paper patching, have been shooting cast for a while. I have Lyman #311041 that casts a boolit of .3096" from a 50-50 mix of WW and pure with 2% tin added. Can I size this down small enough to allow a PP to work or should I be looking for a new mold? Suggestions welcome!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

You might start with doing a throat pound cast to see what you actually need. If you can you would want a patched boolit with a base shank diameter just right to seat in an unsized neck. The paper compresses so only a slight interference is required. The front section needs to fit the throat and slightly engrave the rifling. Lined notepad paper is about the thickness to aim for. Green bar printer paper is said to be about ideal. Printer paper can be used too and makes it easier to get that neck fit because it is more compressible. To give some idea of boolit size, in some of my 303's I can patch a Lee .311 180gr boolit to fit. That's not to say they will shoot well because the nose section core is under bore diameter. From that perspective it might be better to size your boolit to get the required base section core diameter.

Anyway, there will be more experienced folks along soon.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    The 311041 will work as a paper patched slug; you just need to size it down to bore dia. plus .0015" or so and wrap it to fit the throat of your rifle's chamber. Like 303Guy says, it is best to do a pound cast of the throat area, but you can start by wrapping the boolit to where it will slide into an unsized case neck from a round fired in the rifle you plan use the paper patched slugs in. (dangling participle) Anyway, I took a Lee .285 push thru die up to .301" to size the boolits to bore dia. Buckshot is the go to guy here if you would rather buy a die to size 'em down. (it takes a while to open one up .0.016" by lapping) So, yep; you can get into paper patching pretty easily; just gotta size it down. Come to think of it, someone here advocates wrapping the unsized boolit and then running it thru the push thru die. I haven't tried this myself, but sounds like it works for him.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your input fellows! I've been in a bit of a quandry looking for sizers in the .301-.302" area. Seems like the "Big Guys" aren't interested in the paper patch area. I'll do a pound cast and give Buckshot a PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Center shot,
    I am late to this thread and your question but for what it is worth, a 31141 works very well in my .30-30s as a patched bullet. You don't say what you are going to shoot it in but if it is big enough and your case has enough neck so the loaded round is not in the case body area, it will work. I offer that caveat as the bullet does not work for me in a .300 Sav. but is excellent in the .30-30 and good in .30-40.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    There may be a 301618 left at NOE . I haven't tried it in but 1 rifle and it worked in that 1 which was a pleasant surprise because it didn't like anything. It is a bullet Lyman and the NRA teamed up to use for 1000yd shooting it is in 172 and 202 gr . Mine drops at 3015 with WW.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Hi, just reading this thread and the question comes to mind ' would NOE combine the 172 and 212 boolit in the one mold ' for poeple like me who would want to buy one mold instead of the 2 separately. its just an idea, still busy playing with the molds i have and a new NOE for the 30/30 when it arrives, just thinking out loud . ..

cheers R.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    There may still be a few left . I can't remember if it was just mixed check bases or if weights were mixed also.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    You might start with doing a throat pound cast to see what you actually need.
    Don't mean to hijack a thread, but I'm not familiar with the term "throat pound cast". Please explain. Thanks

Boolit Master

unknown