Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: youth rifles for recoil sensitive kid (deer to elk)

Boolit Master

I never have been a fan of the .243 so here are my suggestions
    a 30-30 Win. or a .257 Roberts, or a 6.5x55Mauser....all can be loaded up or down

you can also reduce the recoil by having a heavier rifle as opposed to a light one....and you can further reduce the felt recoil on your cheek by adding a 1. soft cheek pad...they are easily made or bought...and 2. a good recoil pad.
    Last edited by atr; 10-28-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: text
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Proper fit of stock is number one. When kids were starting, purchased Outer's Youth model synthetic stock and dropped in Ruger M77 in 7x57. Recoil is best managed by proper stock fit.
    Practice is number two. Practice with cast reloads and hunt with Remington 140gr core-lokt. Great open-country medicine for deer and elk.
    Select the shot. Placement in the vitals.

Best Regards,
    Tom

In Remembrance
    Another thing, is use reduced loads for practice and general shooting. Change to more powerful loads and sight it in for hunting. I only remember noticing recoil twice while shooting at game, two shots in a row shooting straight up in the tree tops for squirrels and both barrels went of at the same time. The first time I thought I must have pulled both triggers, the next time I knew better and the gun visited the gunsmith. lol

Banned

one thing ill add to this post is my son and my grandkids all started hunting with either a 243 or 250 sav. Allways had good luck with both. I started them young with reduced recoil loads. What i didnt do was go to lighter bullets. I used a 100 grain bullet minimum and just loaded it down to about 2500 fps. What your going to run into with lighter bullets is no exit wound and no blood trail. The 100s at 2500 kill well recoil mildly and usuualy punch through and give a good blood trail.

Boolit Mold
    Have just got a Ruger American in 7mm-08 for a mates kids to use while on hunting trips has very little recoil have fitted it with a lynx scope on millet extension rings to bring scope back it is great to shoot

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123