Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreen for the Automated Master Caster

ADMIN

Touchscreen for the Automated Master Caster

I have been working on this for a little while but finally got it all figured out.
    This is for ANYONE that is using a Click PLC.
    It doesn't matter if you are running my program or your own.

Here is the video

In order for the touchscreen to work you must use a DS for your setpoint.
    I highly recommend that you do a default setting when you set it up.
    For me I used the defaults that were in my PLC already.
    I did this because I have cast 158 grain boolits and 230 grain boolits with those same exact settings.
    Its a 10 second cycle. 2 seconds for the safety timer (timer before lead pours) 6 seconds for lead pour/lead cool, and 2 seconds for stroke (mold cool)
    Right now I am guessing the amount of time for lead pour.
    For my initial setup I intend to leave the external timer in place as a safety. This will allow me to setup a baseline without having my molds being overfilled.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Looking good. What is the pour time unit?

ADMIN

I am going to use milliseconds.
    the figures I display for lead pour isn't the actual figures as I don't know them yet until I hook everything back up.

Right now lead pour is controlled by a external timer so I have no idea of the exact time it takes to pour lead from a Master Caster to fill a 158 grain boolit (with sprue)
    That will be tomorrow afternoon

ADMIN

I did run into one snag.
    When you turn the power on it resets to the default settings. So if you were setup cast 230 gr rn the day before you would have to re-enter the setting via touchscreen.

I have contacted tech support and they said the model we used should retain the setting for up to 3 days after the power was removed.
    They are checking to see if the battery model will work. If it does I can RMA the one I have and pay a little additional money for the battery backup model.

ADMIN

I had a setting wrong.
    It now will hold the values for up to 5 days.
    It would hold it longer but I didn't get the model that had battery backup.

So for now I switch leadpour to be retained. The other settings revert back to the default.
    If its longer then 5 days then lead pour will revert back to zero which is fine.

I wonder if you could trick it some how. I use the non batt backup versions too and have counters programmed into them. The number they have counted to is always stored in them even after weeks of not being used (no power).

Edit: just checked my 9mm 1050 that I haven't loaded with since April or May and I loaded 4913 rounds on it at the time and there are 87 primers in the tube according to the display.

ADMIN

well the 5 day time frame is what Automation Direct tech "Jim" says is the time that it should retain the data.
    The Jim said 3 days is what they tell people but it would be longer up to maybe 5 days.

I already ordered the batt backup version this morning so it will be here on Monday.
    The tech guy said the batt will last 5 years!!!

I am gonna try and squeeze in some shop time this weekend and test the program on a live machine.

I know that with a basic program (v6.1dt), I am using only 70 steps and less then 1% of the space.
    So if the 5 day period is based on 100% usage then maybe it will be months.

I figured that someone will want me to build them a control panel for their master caster later or if I really feel froggy I will automate my 650 machine with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hay Hatch, Can you provide some links to these units on automation directs page. i've been working on a parts list for a similar project.
    I wasn't going to post till i saw "automation direct" I ordered all the parts to build 8 pnumatic Reactive targets which have front "armor and Sillouttes 18x30 1/2" Hardox 500.
    I've had all the parts here for 4 weeks now. i was supose to have all the laser cut steel 2 weeks ago and i a a serverl month waist of my time coming up...it's leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

But i wanted to info because when i wrap up this target project, I need to automate my Ballisicast mark X, and my sizers... i am mainly butt-hurt because i am sure my targets will be ready as soon as we have a few feet of snow on the ground.

ADMIN

The PLC is a C0-00DR-D = $79.00
    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...nits/C0-00DR-D

If you want battery backup then its a C0-01DR-D $109.00
    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...nits/C0-01DR-D

Touch screen is a EA1-S3ML $205
    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...ories/EA1-S3ML

don't forget the program cable -
    http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/.../EA-MG-PGM-CBL

I already ordered the batt backup version this morning so it will be here on Monday.
    The tech guy said the batt will last 5 years!!!
    I have a very old Kenwood pull out radio that uses a capacitor to retain station presets, after sitting for years I was curious to see if it still retained any of them, wired it up and turned it on and was amazed that it did. Guess it depends on how much power it requires to keep the memory but if it is the same as that radio the 5 year limit is likely because batteries will only last that long on a shelf with no drain.

ADMIN

I had to tweak the programming a little more to get lead pour to function correctly.
    Its at 100% right now.
    A 230 grain lead round nose takes 630ms of lead pour (including sprue).
    Now I need to add the auto-manual setup so I can operate the machine manually but use auto lead pour.
    It should take too long. Just taking a break right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Thx Hatch, I am still doing alot of research now.
    Mine is a mark X 4 mold position
    So i am thinking 2-4 tampers located in position 3 and 4 to guarantee sprue/projectile drop.
    My machine has 2 fans that i want to auto start/stop base on the mold temp
    I want a level sensor on the lead pot

I will probibly set mine up with a start-up mode that runs slower to heat the holds, i think electric preheating the molds will be too complicated.You will also be able to hand opperate it for startup/trouble shooting if nessisary.I like the idea of manual pull---- auto lead pour.

I may have mold posistioning sensor so i could run less than 4 molds, it would also keep the lead from pouring everywhere if for some reason the is only a partial stoke(this could also be achieved by magmenti sensor on the piston, but the mold positioning sensor offer more flexibibly)

I am rapidly approching 100,000 9mm on this machine aswell as 25,000 other projectiles on this $3K unit, i seen no reason not to spend between 1k-2k to have a truely automated machine.. i am probably going to go all pneumatic so the price will include a nicer compressor...i still kindor want to go electric but the motor and drive alone along with a clutch will approach $1000 alone...the pneumatic seems alot more versatile.

ADMIN

Update - added manual/auto lead pour to the touchscreen.
    Going to add double tap to it as well.
    Goal is to have only three hardwire switches on the front of the panel.
    Main power, start and stop.
    The rest will be virtual.

Anyone want a good deal on a complete working Wyman/hatch control panel???

ADMIN

Totally rewrote the program this morning.
    Down to 58 steps.
    Did away with redundant timers.
    Didn't need two timers for mold cool (single tap and double tap)
    Didn't need two times for the safety delay at the top.
    Cleaned up the lead pour section too.

Boolit Master
    Impressive.

Can't wait till we can see the final unit with tappers and touch screen!

ADMIN

It will be at least two weeks before its up and running. Next pics and video will be up and running.

Panel will be rebuilt and program redone again as I am adding features.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure you will be forever tweaking it. You will think of different things to add to make it even better. It's a shame the code needs re-writing for a lot of it, but with only 1% of available space used, you have a lot of wiggle room to make it even better.

Are you still going to install a double acting air cylinder?

Mine goes well with the new cylinder but as expected, it does more damage to projectiles that get stuck between the mold halves. They come out flatter than the spring return setup. I have restrictors on the way to try and tame the beast some, it may prevent the flung projectiles too.

So far the projectile count in auto mode is at about 54k, not too shabby. Plus a good 24k in manual mode when i bought the machine. I think it has paid for its self.

ADMIN

The code only is being rewritten so many times right now because of the many features that the touchscreen offers.
    It don't need fan control on the touchscreen. I don't need to do a manual -auto lead pour mode.
    This are just features that I thought of that would be cool to have.
    After I assemble the new panel I will be done writing code as it will have all the features I want then.
    I changed a output so I have enough with the tappers that i don't need the expander.

I plan to do tappers two ways.
    One is pure PLC control and the other is via limit switch and timing relay.
    Ultimately its going to be on the PLC.

Boolit Man
    How is the situation for the PLC code going to be for those of us with the non-touchscreen setup? I could spend the money to move up to that, but I really don't cast a wide enough array of bullets to justify it. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to just have the tapper run by the PLC instead of another external relay but at this point I really don't care which.

Although, if I did go the touchscreen route... I am planning on setting up a second MC in the next year or so. Could one touchscreen handle both casting machines? (controlling two PLC computers?)

You could say I'm seriously chomping at the bit to see what you have going with the tappers because sticking .38 bullets is my single major issue. Everything else has been simply awesome.

ADMIN

Great questions...

If its my program then it will require a new version as the set points in the timing blocks are fixed set points not dynamic. The touchscreen don't change them or even look at them.

You can update the program without rewiring anything. Lead pour would still be external and you basically would be able to change all the timers in the program.
    If you want to do lead pour 100% via touchscreen you will need to move one wire off of the external timing relay.

Now if all you want is tappers, thats easy.
    I plan to write a version of 6.1dt that has the tappers with no touchscreen.

The entire PLC program is timers.
    To add tappers you will need a couple timers.
    Basically after the movement timer starts you do a delay on start of about 1/2 a second or so. This will allow the mold to make it to the bottom.
    Then you use another timer to do the pulse. This is kinda like what I am currently doing for the double tap feature.

To use a external relay then you will need a limit switch at the bottom and the timer.
    Both methods will require a additional air valve and of course the little air cylinder.

Once I get the touchscreen program with all the bells and whistles finished I will make it available to those who gotten the program before.
    In order to get the touchscreen program you will need to send me your PLC and the touchscreen.
    The touchscreen program is locked to the PLC so it can not be read or any changes made with the PC.
    Sorry I have to do it this way but I am tired of finding copies of my program being used by people that I didn't send it to.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast