MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat tail PP boolits

Boolit Buddy

Boat tail PP boolits

I was looking at molds today and came across this one from Lee. http://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-tl309-230-5r.html

It got me thinking. If I can get a similar bullet, weighing 175 grains or so, moving at service velocity (2400-2450) from my 303 british, could I reach out past 300 yards with accuracy? How flat would it shoot? I'm thinking of having a rebated boat tail mold made with smooth sides. I could cast it from wheel weights and paper patch it.

Has anyone tried a boat tail pp boolit? I'm interested in your experiences.

Boolit Master

I don't know about the boattail. I do know, you can push the loads with a paper patch. You will have to find, and take time to develop the load and casting combination. I suggest a flat bottom casting, then sized to at least .314. My Smelly likes that size.
    I use start load data for jacketed loads. My favourite powder is 4895.

I intend to patch that boolit up and shoot it in one or more of my Mosins when I get a round tuit. I'm busily and happily recreating paper patched GP90 equivalents for my 1889 Swiss rifle now.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Buddy
    I might just get that mold and play around with it. If nothing else, I can run it about 2000fps with a soft alloy for hogs in the brush. I'm using Reloader 15 for my SMK loads. That seems to be the go to powder for match shooters.

Has anybody gotten that bullet to shoot well yet? I haven't heard of anyone so far.

-Nobade

I would be very skeptical of the boat tail working for you. I think the patch would blow off and accuracy would devolve to about improved cylinder.

Are you able to get more Reloader 15 in your area. Here, it seems non existant. I am using reloader 19 under a patched 215 grain Accurate bullet in a .30-40 M1895 Winchester with great results; 2200 muzzle or better and 3 - 4 inch group at 200 yards using aperture sights.

Boolit Buddy
    It's hard to get any powder around here. I can catch a 1lb can of reloader 15 occasionally. If I can't find that, IMR 4320 load data is identical (perfectly identical right down to chamber pressures). From what I understand, you want to use the slowest possible powder with PP bullets. I was thinking the same thing about the boat tail. That's why I mentioned the rebated boat tail. I've been reading reports on PP BT and RBT bullets from silhouette shooters. RBT gives a higher BC than a regular BT. Basically, I'm trying to find something to replace the smk for my long range shooting. $37.99/100 is a wee bit spendy for a cheapskate like me. That Lee bullet is too new for anyone to have played with it much. It was designed to be used bare and tumble lubed in a .300blackout.
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 10-18-2014 at 11:05 PM.

I haven't shot them in a 300 BLK, but the NOE 247gr. blackout design is working very well for me in the 30-06 and the 7.62x39. Oh, I did give a bunch of them to a guy here who shot them out of a BLK pistol with quite good results out to 200M. Hitting pop cans at that distance wasn't hard for him once he figured out the load. I would recommend that boolit over the Lee based on what I have seen.

-Nobade

Nobade; What is your load in the 7.62X39 case with that 230 gr. bullet?
    What powder are you using?
    I think that bullet would be a kick in the rear in that little case.
    Brodie

7.0gr. 10B101 and a bit of polyester fluff. Bullet seated to the base of the neck, fits the throat of my little CZ527 very well. Have to single load it and can't eject a loaded round, but it is fun to shoot and very accurate.

-Nobade

Thank You Nobade. But what is that powder? Is it one of your surplus jobs meant for 50 BMG or 20 MM cannons?
    I guess I could start with 300 blk data and extrapolate from that based on case capacity. What is your opinion on this method ?
    I have always found your comments to be useful to me. Thanks again Brodie

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    Thank You Nobade. But what is that powder? Is it one of your surplus jobs meant for 50 BMG or 20 MM cannons?
    I guess I could start with 300 blk data and extrapolate from that based on case capacity. What is your opinion on this method ?
    I have always found your comments to be useful to me. Thanks again Brodie
    It is surplus powder, made by Vitavouri, but it burns about like Blue Dot. Of course that would work too, as would Herco, 2400, #9, and many others in that burn rate.

Yes, if you wanted to shoot subsonic in the 7.62x39, BLK data would be a place to start and just shoot over the chronograph until you hit a good combination of speed and accuracy. Doing this with a bolt action makes things so much easier than with an AR, you can use much faster powder to get the speed you want and keep the pressure up so it burns right.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    I think the rebates boat tail will work. There is a group of high-power shooters usig paper patched bullets at 600 yards with good accuracy at full . One thing caught my attention. They claim that they've had the best luck with bullets from GC molds with no GC. They're casting from Linotype. I'm wondering if the rear of the bullet is acting a bit like a RBT.

There is a group of high-power shooters usig paper patched bullets at 600 yards with good accuracy at full . One thing caught my attention. They claim that they've had the best luck with bullets from GC molds with no GC.
    I believe the rebated GC boolit prevents boolit base distortion. I'm wondering whether the BT would do the same?
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-31-2014 at 01:51 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    NOE has several paper patch molds. All have a gas check shank. There might be a reason for that.

One reason is the gas check shank (w/o the gas check) is easier to make the tail twist than a flat plain based bullet which tends to cut or rip the paper if you aren't careful. At least it is what I have seen. Brodie

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Ive put 22-25 gr of IMR 4350 into a 762x 39 w/a 200gr 1 off spire point . The load reached 1800 fps with a 24"bbl.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Has anybody gotten that bullet to shoot well yet? I haven't heard of anyone so far.

-Nobade
    No one. Ever.

PS I have not data but hopefully cunningham's law will deliver.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Merick View Post
    No one. Ever.

PS I have not data but hopefully cunningham's law will deliver.
    I'm working on it for my Mosin, lots of issues even making a decent product, but I suspect thats because I'm new to paper patching. Will keep developing, I'm using 45 gr. IMR 4350, no pressure signs on the first batch, no key holing, but no accuracy either. I've since modified my methods and will probably start a thread to share what I've learned in the next week or so.

Welcome, juvenal. Your first post is on paper patching and you're from Albuquerque! Good to have another burqueno aboard!

-Nobade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast