Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: MiHec 429640 HP or Solid, 2-Cav or 4-Cav Brass Mold

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by wdr2 View Post
    Hickory - this is an exact rerun of a previous group buy. I have tried the penta pins that came with other molds. The penta pins are simply not worth the extra casting effort in my experience. I have found that the round pins cast very easily and perform well.
    I agree that the other pins are easier to use but disagree about the penta pins not being worth the effort. Personal choice, I like them & you don't. I understand that this buy does not include them, nor did the original group buy & am o.k. with that.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy

I didn't think the penta pins were any harder to get results with. I'll admit I haven't made that many tho...

MiHec 429640 HP or Solid, 2-Cav or 4-Cav Brass Mold

I clean up the tooling marks on the penta pins with a small file (Craftsman ignition point file) & use a carpenter pencil to apply graphite to them after that. Boolits drop right out of the molds after that treatment. I really like the way they open up in expansion tests, although I'll admit the round hollow points might be more useful for some hunting. "all pins" including penta just means more options IMO.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

I stone all the penta pins I have to smooth them out. IMO the surface finish could be improved, seems like the C axis on the lathe (I figure they are using a lathe) is not very rigid and the endmill most likely is worn some.(ran into that already with some lathes)

Regardless for this mold IMO the penta pins are not needed. This boolit has a good track record with a large HP pin in Lyman form. The small and blank pins are icing on the cake.

Boolit Master

Just curious what you like about the pentas? I only ask because I am curious as I haven't been able to see any improvement in performance. Is it just aesthetics?

Quote Originally Posted by ballistim View Post
    I agree that the other pins are easier to use but disagree about the penta pins not being worth the effort. Personal choice, I like them & you don't. I understand that this buy does not include them, nor did the original group buy & am o.k. with that.

It is part aesthetic but the pentas open up nicely too, and even expand with lower velocities using a softer alloy.

These were from the MP 452-200 mold loaded in 45 ACP using light loads with Green Dot. I really liked the way they opened up. I've really liked them in many of the other MiHec molds as well.

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    I have only done one casting session with the MP .402-170 but my experience there was the penta pins are the easiest to cast with in that mould. The very shallow pentagonal HP had no chance of sticking, but it made the pins the ideal way to force the new bullets from their cavities. Bumping, shaking or tapping the mould was completely unnecessary.

With deep HP designs the pentas can be a pain. I have not tried to improve the surface finish on my pins in any way.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Boolit Master
    I happen to like the Penta pins in several of his molds. As noted, you can improve the dropability of the bullets with a little CAREFUL hand work. They do expand quite well. I want to shoot a bear with one in my 45 Colt, (after I give him one of my solids,) just to see what kind of expansion I get. Haven't been able to,,,, yet,,,,!

Boolit Master

Well it looks like this buy has stalled.
    I hope Mihec isn't sick or worse.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

He last posted on 01/05/2015, so he should be OK, have seen that he's having trouble with pins supplied to him, also know of a cherry problem he's had on another GB so it appears he's catching up on repeat GB's right now that he's already tooled up for if he's able to, been waiting on a few for a long time, others closed & delivered surprisingly quickly, no real rhyme or reason that we can use to gauge when they are done until we get email with PayPal invoice.

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy

Most of the cherry problems seem to be related to long skinny rifle bullets. I think the pin problem is entirely likely the culprit.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyOnThePaper View Post
    Most of the cherry problems seem to be related to long skinny rifle bullets. I think the pin problem is entirely likely the culprit.
    That does seem to be the case, cherry problem I first heard about in the 6.5 Cruise Missile GB where he posted pictures.

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy

Yes, well over a YEAR ago...

Yes, well over a YEAR ago...
    yeah, I know...

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy

He should have Bob procure some American made cherries and send them over...

Hopefully he comes up with something as I'd rather own a MiHec Cramer brass mold. than anything else available but the wait is really a drag.

Winston S. Churchill

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    He should have Bob procure some American made cherries and send them over...
    Here is the problem in his own words:
    I have problems with rifle molds
    (long bullets and small diam.) I do not have coolant thru spindle and
    chips are stuck. result is broken cherry.

There you have it. He is trying to finalize the 6.5 CM GB though.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Bob!
    Not really an issue for me since I have asked to be removed from that list, along with a couple others. I'm sure you'll be updating the lists before he does last call to avoid confusion.

In some correspondence I've had with Miha he mentioned (without my asking) an estimate of the middle of this month for completion of these. As far as that goes, he may well be done soon and I am not yet worried. In any event anticipation has got me waitin'.

Boolit Buddy
    Last I heard, Miha was waiting for the pins to be completed. I am excited as well.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Idaho

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast