WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: K31 Swiss questions..

K31 Swiss questions..

I just picked up a 1947 K-31 Swiss Dies and Brass in hand.
    Have RCBS 165gr
    Saco 120gr and a few others
    made a couple of dummy rounds
    The 165gr Touch the rifling but it does not engrave the boolit with the rifling
    the 120gr do not touch.
    Is the 120gr to light?
    Also have some 284 win brass. does it reliably extract?
    Thank you
    Jeff

Once reformed, the .284Win. brass will eject just as well as 7.5 x 55mm brass. Can't help much with the other questions except to say that I sized the CB's to .309" for my 2 K-31's and didn't force them into the rifling as the straight pull action doesn't have the camming force of a bolt action.

Boolit Master
    284 Winchester brass works just fine. I use the Redding form and trim die first, trim to length, then full length size. Use a good neck lube inside while sizing up, otherwise upsetting the shoulder when extracting from the die will tip (pull) the neck over some.
    I finally ordered this mold http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-185S-D.png made for that rifle. It gets the heavier boolit out forward.

More info bottom row of this page http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Loaded up 4 rounds of 284 win brass chambered fine , shot fine , extracted brass out of chamber but did not eject it out of rifle . Guess every rifle different...

Boolit Grand Master

Not knowing anything about form and trim back in the day, for my 1911-K Schmidt-Ruben , I just ran once fired 284 Winchester brass through my 7.5 Swiss full length sizing die, and reloaded them . No problems with shooting, feeding , firing or ejecting. Solved then berdan primed brass only problem back then. And still have a few boxes that I reload.
    Gary

Boolit Master

The first K31 I bought in 2002 really liked the 165 Remington SPCL, and at least initially disliked the Sierra and Nosler 168's. This is probably because it had a nearly new barrel, and after it had been shot a lot, I re-tried the Sierras and it shot them very well.

I have not tried any of the lighter jacketed weights, but I have shot a lot of 165 and 180 gr cast bullets designed specifically for the K31.

The K31 has rifling that goes all the way back to the case mouth on a new barrel, meaning any bullet you use has to have a quickly reduced diameter in front of the cannelure.

I've shot the Lee 230blk, 155, 100 and the NOE 180 k31 designs in several k31's with good results from each. My k31's are the only rifles other than my Finnish mosin that will shoot any load within reason,well.
    If you move the bolt rearward to slow the brass will just drop in the receiver. Momentum (not force) is actually what slings the brass out and the case bounces off the top of the receiver, before going airborne.

My best load with the K31 :
    165 RCBS Sil bullet
    Hornady gas check
    Win Large rifle primer
    16.5 grains of 2400
    The bullet is run thru a .311 sizing die and only the gas check is sized while lubing the bullet.
    The bullet nose is slightly engraved when put into the end of the barrel.
    When sized in a .309 die the bullet was lightly sized but did not group as well as when sized .311.
    The load shoots in the 98,99,100 score range on the MR 31 target at 100 yards and with me shooting 96 to 99 score range on the 200 yard MR 52
    The bullet is seated out to engrave the rifling.
    Last edited by fa38; 10-18-2014 at 08:52 AM.