RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 32 Rimfire Conversion?

Boolit Master

32 Rimfire Conversion?

I'm wondering if an old rolling block in in 32 rimfire can be converted to 32 Long or short centerfire? I'd even be willing to use BP to hold pressures down. Wouldn't want to sleeve the barrel and all of that, but rechambering shouldn't be too expensive. (?) Then just get a smith to weld up the old hole in the breech block and drill a new firing pin hole. (Anything can be made to sound easy.)

Anyone done this or know about it? 32 rimfire ammo is getting both expensive and hard to find. Old Western Scrounger has some for about $40 a box of 50, but that's a little high for plinking ammo.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

4060May has done it! For the very reasons you describe. If we can flush him out he can give the details. I've watched him knock over full size chickens at 200 meters with it using a tang sight. I have a #4 rb take down I want to do. I can't bring myself to converting the breechblock so have been watching for a spare. I did get a spare barrel off of e-pay before they went over the top on gun part listings. Makes for a fun little gun dirt cheap to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Well the first requirement is to have a friend who is a Mold Maker/Machinist with a Milling machine and a tool grinder, surface grinder.
    He made me a new block with a neidner firing pin, and we chambered the barrel to 32 H&R mag, only to clean up the chamber. First we cut the chamber on a lathe to true it up, then used a straight reamer to dimension.
    This is a No.2 Rolling Block made in 1883. original chamber was 32 rimfire.
    I'll post pictures later.
    any questions I'll be glad to answer if I can.

Boolit Buddy

Kinda' like this, .....the actions are Low Walls, .....but principal is the same,....this is not entry level smithing.

Welding the block up is DUMB, ......rooky approach. If it's worth doin'...go the Niedner Mann safety set-up, as previous poster noted, and as pictured.

BTW, ....Rollers are a bit easier, .....still not "Entry Level"....without the arbor pictured, you're shooting blind.......no pun intended.

I'm kinda' proud of those Low Walls,......they turned out slick, but that was hard earned, in every respect.

GTC

Boolit Master

OK - I'm not gonna mess with it. Was gonna bid on one on Auction Arms. Already have a 310 Cadet for 30 cal plinking - gotta stop the madness sometime. Thanks for showing me how it needs to be done.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774