Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go till you run out of gas?

Go till you run out of gas?

Well it seems life keeps changing for me and the wife.

Were both in our late 40's. This last summer was awful for us. I lost my birth mother in April, and a uncle just a few weeks ago. We lost our home in a bad real estate deal a few months ago. So now were renting month to month.
    Now it looks like both me and the wife's jobs are petering out. Not many friends, family's passed away or missing.

Were here in the Denver metro area, so fast paced anymore, everyone's in a hurry. Cost of housing is outrageous! Trying to find a place to go shooting outdoors now involves a long road trip!

So me and the wife are seriously thinking about packing everything in a U-haul and going till we run out of fuel, so to speak! I guess this is what you'd call a mid life crisis??

My kids are gone and almost grown up, not worried about a job as I can drive a truck anywhere. Money in the bank, good tires on the car and truck, everything we own is paid for.

Soo Where would you go??? I've been to Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Utah and New Mexico, Utah was not too bad, Liked NM! Thinking about Arizona, or Nevada?

Would love to find a place with a slower pace, yet with some decent work and affordable housing, and close to a shooting range or open space to make some noise and smoke!

Go till you run out of gas! But where??

Banned

In the years to come, being in the climate you prefer may be as important as anything. I love Texas, but you have to be tough to live in any part of it. I'd say the same for NM, plus it's a very poor state. If I had my 'druthers I'd live around 5k feet in a desterty area, pretty much anywhere in the Great Basin desert is nice if you can get your money running the roads. Lots of public land around that area, and the people are generally pretty decent, too. I'd stay east of California/Washington/Oregon and west of I-35. Just my dos centavos, you may like the coast, trees, or high population density more than I do. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do.

Gear

Stay in Colorado. The Montrose valley is booming but still reasonable.

In Remembrance
    Well I had just enough gas to get to the end of the road.

Dont come to washington, there will be gun confiscation here soon

The commie rule here
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Generally speaking, wherever taxes are higher, gov't will likely be bigger and more oppressive than areas of lower overall taxation. America's government, commerce and industry has been exposed, farmed out and diluted by globalists to the point that not positioning one's self to be more self sustaining, to produce much of your own food, clothing and other basic essentials would be more than just a little naive.
    My family will be moving into a life both allowing and requiring more independence and self reliance as soon as I get a little closer to filing for my official pension. Although I'm counting on my pension to get us started on our life of self sustainment and self reliance, we feel the need and would like to get to the point where, if push came to shove, we could survive with little or no cash income.

Advances in technology and transportation are allowing for the export of more skilled and semi-skilled American jobs than are being created. When employment figures are published and boast of new jobs created, those are not jobs that a man or woman can support their families on or even themselves. These "new" jobs are mostly low wage, part time jobs a college student might work while living with mom & dad.
    For many in this Country, the ability to earn a consistent living is becoming somewhere between improbable and impossible.

If middle income jobs keep being sent out of the U.S. and the federal government keeps allowing criminal aliens to flow freely across our border to take low skill jobs there will be no consumers left to hold up the U.S. economy.

Without drastic changes that result in consumers regaining the buying power they had 30 or even just 20 years ago we're going to see an economic crash that will make "The Great Depression" look more like a speed bump.

If I were a truck driver I would be making a list of cities that are considered "shipping hubs". I would then take that list and add statistics like, property values, cost of living, overall tax burden, city & county politics, climate & geology (what grows well), topography

About 10 to 12 years ago I was looking into moving to Reno, NV. During my research I learned that Sparks, NV (just a few miles down the road) was a major shipping hub.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    I would either move to Nevada or Arizona. Definitely gun friendly, plenty of remote areas. I also have a job where I can live anywhere I want without worrying about the job market because I work out of state and fly back and forth. I am finding Arizona very much to my liking. Taxes are reasonable and since your kids are not in school, Arizona's crappy school system is not a factor.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

NC is the place to be!

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    I have family in the St. George area of Utah. SEVERAL firearms related and sporting goods related manufacturers, great shooting complexes, fishing,,,,,,,
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Check your PM box.

Banned
    I'd go where you both could find good work. It doesn't have to be a permanent move and two incomes would allow more savings for the future. Make your nest egg while you can, there will be time when you cannot. North Dakota is booming due to oil production, The research triangle area of North Carolina has proven to be somewhat recession proof, Lot's of industry is moving to the southeast to escape unions & high taxes. Going to a place that allows a lot of shooting but little money is something you can do when you retire. You have a ways to go before you reach that point but you don't have as much time to earn money as you did when you where 18. I'd make that decision on logic and earning potential more than emotion. Life is what you make of it and geography is only as important as you want it to be.

Boolit Master

I'd move to NC but I was born and raised here...

Boolit Buddy
    NC is beautiful, but you need to have a job lined up or have a job like yours. My entire family is from NC. They have winter there, so it is not for me!
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Pennsylvania is still a "gun" state with lots of shooting ranges (trap, skeet, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, etc) good fishing and hunting, and vast acres of state game lands. Unemployment is low, and the state is not bankrupt like some liberal states. Taxes are high, but not the highest. Not a bad place to live and retire.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nevada or Oklahoma. Lots of oil field jobs there in Oklahoma. Nice big oil/gas play West/Sw of OKC is going on now, and should be for the next 5-10yrs. Should'nt have any problem finding a job. Public hunting areas that you can also shoot on IIRC.

Uncompahgre valley (Grand junction to Ouray) would be OK. Slower pace, plenty of places to hunt/shoot. think our (Montrose)gun club has one of the best ranges in the state. Housing a bit high, but not like Denver. Might want to check on jobs though. Probably more in GJ than down here in Montrose.

Boolit Master
    Pa would be my last choice and I was born and raised there! Sales tax, state income tax, turnpike fees, high gas prices, terrible roads, etc.
    Currently live in Colorado and both my wife and I HATE it here. Same as PA with sales tax, state income tax, and the most outrageous vehicle registration fee's I ever seen. Have to pay $500 a year for plates for her Toyota Camry.

On our short list of places we love are Tennessee (sales tax, no state income tax, and very low property tax) and Idaho. Don't know much about Idaho's economy but plenty of places to hunt.
    We did live in Alaska for about 35 years and if you are able to afford the costs its a great place. Pretty much everything is expensive but if you have the cash to buy all the toys and enjoy the hunting and fishing it is a great place. Just plan on leaving a couple of times each winter to retain your sanity

Good luck in your search. Everyone has their own idea of the perfect place and hope you find yours. The best thing is if you don't like it just move again. We are counting down the days till the summer of 2016 so we can move out of this place.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Anywhere along the Texas/New Mexico border...Better yet, look up Alpine, Texas....
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

In Remembrance
    Alpine Tx, I think god only used that part of the country to hold the world together. lol Everybody has there own likes and dislikes as far as what part of the world they thing is great. lol Most states have pretty country and god awful country at least to my way of thinking. Somebody mentioned go where the money is and move to where you like upon retirement, this don't cut it in my way of thinking, I want to live my life in a place I like, and have always been able to make a living. I spent a lot of time working in Tx,Nm,Co, Ks,Ok,Ut,Nv and Az. All have some beautiful country, but if I had to make a choice out of them for a place to live, I would probably look very hard at Ut. You didn't mention what kind of trucking you prefer and that would make a difference too.

Boolit Buddy

We moved to NW Arkansas 23 years ago and have not regretted it.

Bentonville is home to Walmart, the worlds largest corporation. Any company that deals with Walmart is required to have an office in the area. There is Low unemployment. The cost of living is reasonable. Yeah, there are taxes, but not overly bad. Housing is fairly reasonable in the area and rentals are available.

My BIL lives in SLC Utah and loves it. Jobs there also I think.

My favorite state is Montana, but the job market is iffy and it sounds like that would be your number one priority.

FWIW... and Good Luck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Alpine Tx, I think god only used that part of the country to hold the world together. lol Everybody has there own likes and dislikes as far as what part of the world they thing is great. lol Most states have pretty country and god awful country at least to my way of thinking. Somebody mentioned go where the money is and move to where you like upon retirement, this don't cut it in my way of thinking, I want to live my life in a place I like, and have always been able to make a living. I spent a lot of time working in Tx,Nm,Co, Ks,Ok,Ut,Nv and Az. All have some beautiful country, but if I had to make a choice out of them for a place to live, I would probably look very hard at Ut. You didn't mention what kind of trucking you prefer and that would make a difference too.
    I'm one of the freaks who likes that part of Texas so much I could live there in an adobe hut forever. Marfa, Sanderson, all through there. I like the views, the dry, the heat, and the peace and quiet. Davis mountains are wonderful, too. I agree, why suffer out your working life and move where you like when you retire, for the future is always uncertain and one ought to try and live in a place they like NOW.

Gear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast