RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Go till you run out of gas?

Boolit Grand Master

GA is not a bad place to be. I love my home state.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    been here in NC for over 12 years now, kinda like it here. Downside, definitely hot & humid, bugs, pollen, etc and certainly have winters of some sort. I've always wanted to live in or near Houston TX, just looks like a fun place to live. My younger brother has lived there for many years and has no plans on moving.
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    I have family in the St. George area of Utah. SEVERAL firearms related and sporting goods related manufacturers, great shooting complexes, fishing,,,,,,,
    Also several trucking companies, and numerous distribution centers in the area.

Come on down, the weathers fine!
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

I love the Alpine, Marfa and Sanderson area. They have a saying there
    , if you want some money there you better bring it with you. Last I was in the area housing had gone way up. I would move therein a minute but the wife says no. We are looking at Granbury Tx.

I've lived in several States, In., Fl.,SC. and Tn. I believe Tn is just about heaven. I walk out the door and can hunt, shoot the target range, or grab the boat and go fishing in abou 10 minutes. Life hear is really good. Low property taxes and NO STATE TAXES. Close to many larger cities that have lots of trucking jobs. You can hunt your own land without buying a lic..
    Hunting and fishing lic. is a whoe 36 dollars. Property is reasonable.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Property taxes in Texas are pretty bad imho, although no state income tax.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

We have swings from -33* in winter to quite a few days over 100* in summer, but I've clocked 135mph wind here at the house. Granted, that dont happen everywhere in Wy.

I'm 43 and I've been talking to the family of moving to the far north myself. Some of the family wants to go, some dont.
    We're already 1/2 - 3/4 self sustaining already, it wouldnt take much to move completely off grid and as long as we have enough ground to raise a few livestock, we'd be set. I've looked a little at property already. The bad thing is moving most of our stuff. We would have to be able to replace some of it cheap to not move it. Sawmill, dozer, skid steer, stuff like that. My cousin is a hunting trucker, that would help.

We aint had it as bad as Remmy, we still shoot at our own 1000yd range next to the house, but the commy liberal neighbors that have been moving in to the community the last few years are starting to get thick and the feuds have started and we've had a few serious crime problems, too.
    I think if it dont get any worse than it is, I would'nt hesitate to stay as we are settled in good with 35 acres bordering BLM. If it gets worse, I'm ready to go. Lucky for us the wind keeps alotta people from moving in.

I say, if your thinking of going, go now. If you think like we do, move here. This area aint bad. If you try and change it, please stay out.
    Last edited by reloader28; 10-16-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Do a hard assessment of your skill sets. Determine what you and your wife are employable as. Look where the best fit is for everything. You may be the best heating repairman in the world but relocating to Key West will not get you what you need. Finding a place where you can each enjoy your hobbies is not going to work if you cannot eat and house yourselves there.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Saw a nice little piece of land with log home in the Davis Mountains, but it had a homeowner's assassination (mis-spelling intentional) that prohibited hunting on your own property.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy4477 View Post

My kids are gone and almost grown up, not worried about a job as I can drive a truck anywhere. Money in the bank, good tires on the car and truck, everything we own is paid for.
    Go to North Dakota to the oil fields, if you can drive commercial truck you should be able to get a job making a killer wage within a week of showing up. Move yourself and your wife to an area out of the oilfield like Rubgy etc. buy a nice house for cheap and then just commute down to the oil fields for work. It's a longer drive but that will let you find cheap housing and land and a wage/job that pays more than most tech jobs pay currently. I have several friends working there now and they are desperate for experienced drivers and my buddies are making over 100K a year there. Long hours but the pay is insane. Want less government than even North Dakota? Do the same thing but live on the Montana side, hunting is better and so is everything gun related, but you might have to drive further if you want to live in a larger town.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Buddy
    when i saw the title of the thread i thought by run out of gas you meant, until YOU run out of gas.

seems to be a somewhat common thought these days, moving to somewhere where you can just be, without someone telling you what to do on your own land. i keep thinking of whittling down all that i have, hiring someone to fly me in about 100 miles from anybody or anything, getting dropped off and staying alive. not quite as easy at this time of year, not that it would be easy at all. but starting in the winter would make it extra hard. but, if you survived the winter you would most likely continue to survive as long as you wanted to.

Boolit Buddy
    Souther Colorad. Less people, costs a whole lot less money to live

Moderator Emeritus

If my back was better I would head for Alaska for sure, nephew called tonight told me to come on up if things get bad. He has a nice 600 acre chunk of land now on a dead end road and 3 neighbors on the same road in. maybe 20 families in a 40 mile radius. If my back was fixed and healed I would have jumped at it but as I sit all I can do is cook, can, reload, teach school to his kids.

Boolit Buddy
    Come to Texas, somewhere around Palestine. You've got prisons there that pay decent and Sanderson Farms just started up there and are paying around 15-20 per hour
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

Boolit Master
    I moved to SW Idaho in summer of 1978. Haven't found a reason to even look elsewhere...

Rich

Boolit Master
    Heck, come to texas, in the north texas area you can find several ranges, some indoor and a few outdoor ranges also. Gas industry is alwYs hiring and from what i hear pay quite well. Housing is affordable compared to many areas in the country. Check it out, you might like it.

Take a look at Missouri. Whatever weather you like, you will experience it here within a couple of years. Good hunting and fishing opportunities and an excellent Department of Conservation. The legislature is gun friendly, so far.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Man
    Idaho or Montana, Both states are beautiful and friendly to people that appreciate their freedoms.

Love Life
    Nevada. Please leave all previous "How we did it back home" at the stateline.

What....no votes for South Carolina?? If you don't mind a bit of heat and humidity in the summer time...it's heaven! Upstate is booming with jobs....coast is doing pretty good too. Taxes are reasonable, real estate affordable, good hunting, plenty of shooting opportunities... I rather like it here!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast