Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: A trip to the dentist

Smile A trip to the dentist

I returned to my new dentist for a cleaning. It had been awhile since I'd been to the dentist. The technician cleaning my teeth was explaining that a lot of dentists are going digital for x-rays. I asked if that meant that they still used the little x-ray plates with the lead sheets. And yes, that is what they used.

Having read a couple posts about the purity of dental x-ray lead, I asked if the dentist might be interested in selling it to me. "Sell it?" she replied. "I just take it down to the salvage place when we have a bunch of it."

Explaining what I did with lead, I volunteered to save them the trip to the salvage yard. To cut to the chase, I walked out of the dentist's office with clean teeth and nearly 20 pounds of dental x-ray lead, clean, pure, and pristine - as a gift. No cost.

I like my new dentist, and have a new motivation to get regular professional care, just like the old Crest ad recommended.

MichiganMike

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That stuff is getting hard to find. All the dentists around me are now fully digital. No messy lead on thier part.

banger

I got some of that, pretty high tin as I recall. I posted what it tested as with xray gun at scrap yard. Did stink when melting, think there is a plastic film involved. Made nice ingots after fluxing, big stink during melt.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    All of the ~80# I bought at a yard a couple years ago (35 cents/#) had very little Sn in it. I treat is as as basically pure. Different manufacturer's may use different alloys for the little shielding lead membrane in there. It came from the same office because it was in 4 plastic bags in a cardboard box taped shut. Mine had no plastic of any form in there and melts perfectly clean and odorless.

Only way to know is an x-ray gun analysis.

Have fun with your 20# of Pb!

banger

I did the same thing a couple years ago. Asked my dentist about his old lead foils. He said, "I have them in a couple boxes in the back, can't throw them away, HM". So I offered to take them off his hands, 35# after removing the paper sleeves. He is a casual shooter so understood & offered me 6 lead aprons for free too, but they are not worth the amount of rubber crud to get a couple #s of lead.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Found the post, I had them gun it at the scrap yard before I took it.
    ".... it came out a surprisingly rich Pb 96 / Sb 2.5 / Sn 1.5 so pretty good alloy right as it is." That was the batch I picked up. YMMV.

So not high tin like solder or pewter, but better than COWW's. Little lower on antimony than COWW but 50/50 with WW's would be approx. 1% tin and 2.75% antimony 11.4 BHN which should work just fine. Need to finish building the garden shed, this conversation makes me want to go find out how it casts.

Boolit Master
    The lead they use is Lead >96%, Tin 1.5% +/- 0.1%, Antimony 1.5% +/- 0.1%.

Boolit Master

I just had a cracked tooth pulled a couple weeks ago, and when I voiced some concerns about the recovery interfering with my annual weeklong trip for the deer opener, the staff got all excited. I think they may be all primed and ready for when I go back for the implant and pitch the question about their x-ray lead. Please cross your fingers on my behalf.

But I figure the digital stuff taking over is inevitable. Having seen the results from my knee and one of my wife's more specialty dental x-rays that had to be done in a different office, I've got to say the digital takes better pictures, and the dentist doesn't have to deal with shipping in film and disposing of lead.

Then I have to ask myself what I'd be willing to give up to NOT have to bite down on the gag-inducing x-ray films, and I find that the answer is "Quite a lot". I guess if they hand me a couple hundred pounds I'll change my tune.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.