WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to lube 223 brass for sizing

Boolit Grand Master

Didn't know about the Royal case and die lube. http://www.sharpshootr.com/royal_case_and_die_lube.htm I will be giving it a try.

I got a deal on a couple of cases of Hornady One Shot http://www.hornady.com/store/One-Shot-Spray-Case-Lube/ I have done tens of thousands of case without any issues but I am almost out.

A buddy started using it and was getting stuck cases. When I checked he was using this http://www.hornady.com/store/One-Shot-Gun-Cleaner/

Before that I was using 10% Lanolin to Alcohol. Worked good but it made a mess in the case feeders on my 650's and 1050's

Looking forward to trying the Royal case and die lube.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Quote Originally Posted by BucolicBuffalo View Post
    Has anyone tried the Forster lube on a pad? What about lubing the inside of the case necks? The sprays solve some of these problems. But if you roll on a pad, what do you do for the necks?

I have a small container ( Contact Lens cleaning container) I put some # 6 shot in it and a spoon full of powder graphite powder. All I do for inside case neck lube is to dip the cases neck down into this container. Actually I only do about 1 in every five cases because the graphite sticks to the expander pretty well for the other 4 untreated cases. Works great but it is dirty on the fingers
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Mold
    The freezer bag technique sounds pretty good, but do you get lube inside the case necks? Isn't that important to avoid stuck cases? I usually use the white lee lube but it's gonna be a pain doing this 500 round batch i'm about to do with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Not if you use a carbide button, bushing die without a button or a Dillon trim die.

Boolit Master
    I've sized thousands of .223 brass with just using the lanolin/alcohol mix only. Never lubed a neck and with standard Lee dies have never had one get stuck. Same results with standard RCBS dies. This has been my experience, your mileage may vary. I just put them in a shoe box size plastic bin about 100 at a time, give them a half dozen spritzes and shake them around for a minute or so. Then after the alcohol flashes off size away. Works great.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Dillon spray lube and a gallon ziploc bag. I'll lube 100 or 150 at a time. I use a carbide expander ball but lube does get into the case neck. Eventually sprung for carbide expanders on any bottle neck case that I load in volume.

Boolit Buddy
    + 1 on the lanolin/alcohol mix. can lube 1k in 2 minutes. Clean lube off with 91% alcohol rinse in a few seconds. alcohol is reuseable several times. Ordered lanolin online, 4 oz for about $7. Heet gas line. anti-freeze(red bottle) about $4. 1 oz of lanolin makes 12 oz of lube when mixed with bottle of Heet. lubed over 4k cases so far with about 1/3 of mix left.

Boolit Buddy
    + 1 on the lanolin/alcohol mix. can lube 1k in 2 minutes. Clean lube off with 91% alcohol rinse in a few seconds. alcohol is reusable several times. Ordered lanolin online, 4 oz for about $7. Heet gas line. anti-freeze(red bottle) about $4. 1 oz of lanolin makes 12 oz of lube when mixed with bottle of Heet. lubed over 4k cases so far with about 1/3 of mix left. I lube like jetinterionguy does in plastic container.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I exclusively us bag balm as it's also good for the hands, but I am thinking what Bullshop said... that sounds like a great idea!! I have a large flat rate box I been putting off processing, and I might try the bullshop stolen idea and make it my own..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Yup, you can call it that too, but it works great.

Boolit Man
    I use an RCBS pad and "udderly smooth".

Makes your hands soft too.

Any of the shake and pump lanolin based lubes are great for batch lubing small rifle.
    I lay a towel on the table and spread out 100 cases on it, spritz across a couple times with the lube. I do try to get some inside the necks of a few. Then I roll them around with my hands to spread it a bit. Let dry for 15 minutes, load then, or next week, doesn't matter.
    I can pile up 500 cases pretty quickly that way.
    Lubing with a pad or fingering wax, etc, one at a time, that is from 1970. Let it go, man, let it go.

Boolit Bub
    I use the Hornady case lube in a tub- barely requires any at all- then I put on a nitril glove and just wet a finger with lube- the glove stays slick with lube for quite a while and as I pick up a case to place it in the shell holder I get some lube on it and away we go. (alternatively I will 'wipe' a number of cases at a time and then do them all at once). If a case is too dry, you will feel more resistance as you insert it into the die so just back it out a little and wipe your finger over it- much faster than even spraying one-shot on a rack of cases.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Pure lanolin in my hands... Rub it around until they stink and are gooey..... Grab a handful.... roll them between my palms........ Drop in a clean container ...repeat until all are lubed. Easy & Cheap and puts a little of you in every case! Now, just size the little buggers
    Exactly what I do except I use STP. When I'm done sizing I wash them in a super detergent product we buy at Walmart, the name escapes me at the moment but it comes in a purple gallon jug in the automotive dept., dry, and I'm good to go. May or may not give a citric acid bath, depending on the cases.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Didn't know about the Royal case and die lube. http://www.sharpshootr.com/royal_case_and_die_lube.htm I will be giving it a try.
    Ordered some of this yesterday, ordered a few wipe-out products at the same time. Ordered via his website but called to give him a CC and ended up talking about chemistry, lubricants, past giants in the shooting sports and even Chuck Yeager for the better part of an hour. Good guy, looking forward to trying the products.

Boolit Master

Dillon spray lube has been my go-to for years for high volume. I really like it for 5.56/.223. I keep a dedicated old cookie sheet to put the brass on while lubing it. The importance of letting any of the alcohol and lanolin lubes "rest" after spraying cannot be understated. Not waiting increases the chance of a stuck case greatly.

For small batch rifle sizing I usually use Imperial Sizing Wax. After thousands of rounds there's hardly a dent in the lube.

For really difficult to size cases I've used straight lanolin. I friend brought his .500 S&W cases to me because he was having trouble with his reloads. He bought all steel dies (no carbide insert) so that didn't help. With my Rock Chucker II I was afraid of getting a case stuck in the die with Imperial. Rubbed a little pure lanolin on a case and it sized easily, well, for a .500 S&W so the rest of the batch was lubed with lanolin.

I've had a lube pad and RCBS lube since 1982. I will probably still have some of that lube when I leave this world.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I lube large batches of cases with the big bath towel method. I use imperial sizing die wax in the towel. I lay it out flat on the floor pour a bout 1000 cases in a line on it and add a finger full of imperial lube roughly spread thru the brass. grab 2 corners of the towel in each hand and raise and lower hands for a few minutes to roll the cases around. Becarefull at first as the towel needs to impregnate with lube till then it removes some so make sure the cases are all lubed. My towel has been used for 10-15 years now so on large batches I add at the first batch and do a couple more with out then add a little more. Once the towel is impregnated with lube it goes a long ways.

A friend bought a spare drum for his polisher and lined it with a piece of towel. He pours the brass in it turns it on and a couple squirts of rcbs lube thinned in alcahlol or mineral spirits ( not sure which). Then lets it run for 5-8 mins. This lubes them nicely. He found also after the towel impregnates it takes less.

I will lube inside case necks ( when needed) with a brush and motor mica. I lube a bunch of lubed cases and mix them in with the other lubed cases in the case feeder. I have also found the "fuzzy" towel I use for lubing does get Imperial was inside the case mouths some.

Lubing cases can be done many ways and its what works for you and what your confident in doing. I have been told manufacturers lube cases in rotary tumblers cases and lube run for a little while and load.

I still lightly lube cases loaded in carbide dies. its not needed but it does lower sizing force and I think its easier on the cases. 9mm, 40 S&W, fired in the larger chambers this really shows. My brass is hand deprimed clean in a vibratory polished and corn cobs. Then lubed and loaded.

Boolit Bub
    For lubing my rifle cases, I use synthetic oil straight out of the bottle. One quart has lasted a long time so far. I dont do more than 1000 .223s at a time and other cases usually 100 or less. I have a gatorade bottle cap that I put an 1/8 inch of syn oil in. Dip one case neck down, wipe off with left finger and thumb. Then keep lubing with remaining till need to dip another. I have always wanted to try out one of the lube dies.

Bottom half of a beer box will lube around 150 at a time if ya wanna do more one of the great big cookie sheets and your favorite spray lube(I’m fond of DCL but gonna try and make some of the lanolin/alchyhol mix when my bottle runs out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Buy a tube of VO5 Conditioning Hairdressing at WalMart and you'll be set for years. Add some lanolin if your in a very hot climate.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast