Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: value on a sweed mauser ?

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf5347 View Post
    I like to ask if I refinished the stock would it decrease in value ?
    Maybe. What do you mean by "refinish"? Don't sand it and put Varathane on it. Just rub on some BLO and call it good.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf5347 View Post
    I loaded some 120 gr. sierra bullets over IMR 4350 39.0 Gr. bench at the 50 yd. side gun shot excellent 1" group .
    I like to ask if I refinished the stock would it decrease in value ?
    Since the stock is a mis-match it hardly matters.

Dutch

It's worthless.

Send it to me and I'll properly dispose of it.

Boolit Master

even with the mismatched stock, anything other than a light cleaning and oiling will further hurt the value.

Boolit Buddy
    The real jewels in M38's are the late models that were made as Model 38's by Husqvarna.

Some years back I bought a receiver from Sarco (?) and converted it to cock-on-opening, changed the bolt handle, and someone else was selling original M38 new barrels. I rebarreled it with one of those, and finish chambered it. I cut the barrel to 22 inches and stocked it with pillars. I could easily get something like 2700fps with Sierra 139 GK's.

I sold it to a friend as a favor at a very good price. He died, and his son-in-law gave it away for a small price. Didn't know what he had. Action, barrel, stock, D and T'd, bolt handle job, conversion with trigger outfit, and Mark III safety.

I almost cried. THINK: great steel, great machining, and the latest heat treating methods of the late 1930's. Mine was made in 1940 0r 42. It was better than many M98's knocking around according to P.O. Ackley 98 were not upgraded heat treat wise until the late 20's.

Boolit Master
    As a serious Military Arms collector, I say this rifle with a "1925" dated receiver is a M1896 rework to M1938 specs. Many had horizontal bolt handles and some have turned down bolt handles. If the rifle receiver and bolt numbers do not match, that is a downgrade in value. As for stock discs, I have seen folks swapping out stock discs in the gun shop and they are often listed in "Shotgun News." I would not put any stock in an original stock disc as the reading was likely taken over 50 years ago and is meaningless today.

Value: In my opinion $250 is generous. I would test fire and examine target and fired case. If the rifle shot well and the headspace is acceptable, I would offer $150.00.

Adam Helmer

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Value: In my opinion $250 is generous. I would test fire and examine target and fired case. If the rifle shot well and the headspace is acceptable, I would offer $150.00.
    You are way out of touch on market value of Swede Mausers. You'd go home empty handed with that $150 still in your pocket.

Swedish Mauser M38 Short Rifle
    Fair to Good Condition
    $289.95
    https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-swed-SM38.html

Swedish Mauser M96 Barreled Actions
    Fair Condition$249.95
    https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-sm96.html

$800 m/96 I sold 3 years ago. 1905 Carl Gustaf. Appeared unissued (really instead of maybe). Very unusual 4 screw stock disc probably Swedish navy minesweeper M14. Beautiful streaked walnut stock. Bore as-new. This was a safe queen, never shot it. I sold 3 Swedes to the same buyer: m/96 walnut, m/96 elm, m94 carbine 1st cavalry royal palace guard. $2,100. Man said, "name your price". I love those kinds of buyers. They set market value with cash-in-hand. Under the right circumstances this $800 M/96 could sell for $1,200 based on condition and features.

In the future, 20-30 years from now, those Swedish Mausers with mis-match parts will be melded into the same category as numbers-matching rifles due to the overall scarcity of available rifles. Rifles that have been re-barreled in the U.S. won't be looked upon any different as arsenal-original rebuilds. Unfortunate, but much of our detailed research will fade away and/or be discounted in the zeal to have one of these beautiful rifles.

Boolit Master
    Dutchman,

The value of anything is predicated upon what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. I do not know your circumstances in your state, but here in PA there are many gun owners and many military surplus arms. I buy many and all are far below any "Samco Price" for Very Good to Excellent condition arms.

Be well.

Adam
    Last edited by Adam Helmer; 12-04-2014 at 07:01 PM.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94 Swedish Mauser, 96, and 1934  2-1-2013.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	124699
    I got a 96 Swede in 2002 for $100, sporterized it, bent the bolt, and hunted with it.
    In got a 38 Swede in 2004 for $135. It's metal looks unfired, but the stock does not look new.
    In 2008 for $80 I got a sporterized 94 Swede.

Not shown, I got another 96 Swede for $150 in 2013.
    Not shown, I got a 1907 Husq bushed to 380 for $123 in 2003. I really like that pistol. My grandfather could have used that in the Swedish army before he immigrated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12