Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mold Suggestion for 30-30

Quote Originally Posted by dualsport View Post
    Lyman 311284. Check out the old Frank Marshall articles re. the B.O.W.M. (Bench or woods Marshall) This path is well trod.
    I remember reading that article. I cannot find it again though, do you have a link? I remember having some doubts about flattening the nose on the bullet. Not to say it cant be done...

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Up close and personal, I don't know of any elk that would laugh at the 30/30. If you can find the thread from Larry Gibson on leverrolution powder. He tested several cast boolits including the rcbs and it makes some good reading, with actual performance tests.
    I'll look that one back up. I remember reading that before. I think you can even find Leveroution powder these days to boot...

Boolit Master
    Not even a honorable mention throughout this entire thread of my favorite, >Lyman's 311291.

Boolit Master
    I have purchased several Accurate Moulds and the one that I really like for my Henry and BFR is a 170 grain FP the molds I get from accurate are just that accurate and exactly what you want with drop Mendes to choose and customize based on a miriad of options. I think you can cast little softer alloy and get jacketed performance on Whitetail do some testing in wet news print compare your cast to a proven bullet like the Core-Loct. You will get here even with the Lee bullet if you play around some.

Boolit Mold
    Carolina Cast Bullets has several of the Ranch Dog moulds, if your interested in seeing how that bullet performs in your rifle you could try them out then before committing to a particular mould.

I only have marlins, but have shot 32-30, .357 and 30-30 Ranch Dog bullets from Carolina Cast Bullets and all have performed exemplary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post
    I remember reading that article. I cannot find it again though, do you have a link? I remember having some doubts about flattening the nose on the bullet. Not to say it cant be done...
    I believe Frank Marshall filed a flat on the 311284 and that also lessened the weight to around 190-200 grains. Then Old West made a mold for a shorter very blunt 311284 that weighed about 190 grains with bore ride of around .303". Frank endorsed it. I have that mold and while I like it fine it really isn't going to anything that these bullets discussed in this thread won't do.

If I were going to shoot an elk I would use the RCBS for the extra weight (mine is 200 grains). For normal use I would go with the Lyman 311041 to keep the gas check in the case neck.
    Rule 303

Well my first go looks like it will be the RCBS. Bought a used one from a member here. May get to try it out this year durring our modern gun season.

One me thing that you mention Pied is how it extends below the neck. I have heard this before but have not heard of it causing issues. Has anyone seen issues with it? From what I can tell, if you use a case full of powder it seems that the boolit gets pushed into the neck before the gas can cut it.

Still would like to hear more on other molds. Just felt like I should take this opportunity to buy this mold. Always like keeping the sales in the cast boolit community.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    The Ranch Dog has a good enough reputation that NOE makes a copy with regular grease grooves, That is where I would start.

That's where I started and in all honesty is probably the last 30-30 mold I'll ever buy.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    That's where I started and in all honesty is probably the last 30-30 mold I'll ever buy.
    Yea, I bet if this deal had not come along that's where I would have gone. But I'm gonna wait to see if I can't pick one up second hand.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newton View Post
    Well my first go looks like it will be the RCBS. Bought a used one from a member here. May get to try it out this year durring our modern gun season.

One me thing that you mention Pied is how it extends below the neck. I have heard this before but have not heard of it causing issues. Has anyone seen issues with it? From what I can tell, if you use a case full of powder it seems that the boolit gets pushed into the neck before the gas can cut it.

Still would like to hear more on other molds. Just felt like I should take this opportunity to buy this mold. Always like keeping the sales in the cast boolit community.
    I have not had trouble seating below the neck. With the low pressures of a .30-30 it probably will never be an issue. The theory on it is you don't want to obturate the bottom of the bullet into the shoulder area and then swage it back to neck diameter as it goes through the neck. A gas check is pretty hard but trying to approach jacketed pressures in something like a .308 or .30-06, I can see where it would be a problem. Seems like it might dislodge the check or knock it catywumpus, too, when it tried to swage down and fit the neck.

I believe a man named Rowles has taken over production of Old West Bullet molds and if you wanted the Frank Marshall inspired bullet (it was #311-190, if memory serves) you can probably scratch that itch. It is a true bore rider and mine can be too tight in a new Winchester barrel, but Marlins have a larger land dimension because of microgroove. Mine is perfect for a Winchester with a little throat wear, but my mold is also around 25 years old and that same cherry might be worn down or a new cherry may have replaced it.

My RCBS has a far undersized nose (.296"), but that doesn't mean yours would be the same.
    Rule 303

Boolit Master
    Newton, this bullet mould is in stock at NOE right now in both 2 and 4 cavity.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...c97n0b30q9jh15

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    I believe Frank Marshall filed a flat on the 311284...
    Newton,

I tried this with a 311334, also... Didn't do enough of them to really get a good feel for the result, but if you like the Lee, and only wanted a few with a larger meplat for hunting, then you could try filing back the nose to a larger meplat and trying it... Now that you've bought an RCBS mold, this may be a moot test... Or it could be an interesting winter project!!

Boolit Buddy

There probably isn't a nickels worth of difference, one mold to the other, when it comes to killing power - but I've had good luck with Accurate Molds 31-185I/31-185J. You can tweak the designs to your pleasure, and nobody makes a better mold. Check out the Accurate Molds web site, if you are considering ordering a new one.
    Last edited by Bill*B; 11-02-2014 at 10:58 PM.

The Ranch Dog is my go to mold , I bought several when he started making them...I put my other 30 cal molds on the shelf for the 30/30 Great shooter and kills DRT....IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

On balance you'll likely find the NOE-RANCH DOG 165 as your go to bullet.
    I have most of the other mentioned and deer won't know the difference if the shot is properly placed, but the SLAP factor of the RD meplat is indeed a sound to be recconed with.
    It casts about 172 in my soft alloy, and heat treats to the mid 20s bhn.....HARD bullet but will not shatter on impact.
    Depending on your throat, you may need to seat bullets a few thou deeper to function in your gun ... I've experienced this on several 1940s Marlins, but it makes no difference in performance.
    At this point I seat for the shortest throat, and use 'em in any gun, and they work fine.
    My molds have the standard lube grooves.
    I seat the check, lube, and size through a .312 die then tumble lube in medium-thin LLA/JPW/MSpirits. I never have any leading with nominal loads, 1900-2000 fps.

SUPER PERFORMERS in my experience.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Quote Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
    I have not had trouble seating below the neck. With the low pressures of a .30-30 it probably will never be an issue. The theory on it is you don't want to obturate the bottom of the bullet into the shoulder area and then swage it back to neck diameter as it goes through the neck. A gas check is pretty hard but trying to approach jacketed pressures in something like a .308 or .30-06, I can see where it would be a problem. Seems like it might dislodge the check or knock it catywumpus, too, when it tried to swage down and fit the neck.

I believe a man named Rowles has taken over production of Old West Bullet molds and if you wanted the Frank Marshall inspired bullet (it was #311-190, if memory serves) you can probably scratch that itch. It is a true bore rider and mine can be too tight in a new Winchester barrel, but Marlins have a larger land dimension because of microgroove. Mine is perfect for a Winchester with a little throat wear, but my mold is also around 25 years old and that same cherry might be worn down or a new cherry may have replaced it.

My RCBS has a far undersized nose (.296"), but that doesn't mean yours would be the same.

That makes a lot of sense. I never thought of it bumping up the base then having to size it back down through the neck. I know that can play havoc on a gun. I have a Ruger Blackhawk that I had to shoot a bunch of lapping bullets through to open up where the barrel screwed into the frame. The bullet would be squeezed down in that spot then have to be bumped up with caused leading and accuracy issues. Once lapped I was shooting great and no leading issues.

Thanks for sharing that because I would have never thought of that.

Boolit Grand Master

Shuz, mine weigh right at 150 with check and lube, cast hard, to better than 22bh. Sorry it took so long to reply.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Well I got that RCBS mold and cast some up last night. Very nice boolit. But I am not sure of a few things.

It definitely does not cast as big as my Lee. So I am going to have to wonder how that will effect things. Also, the nose does not ride the bore like the Lee. Makes me wonder how that will effect things.

Maybe its just my lead mixture that is causing small boolits? I'll load some up and see what they do.

Think I'll put the RD mold on my Christmas list though. Maybe Santa will be nice to me.

Boolit Buddy

The nice thing about cast bullets - we have a full plate of great designs! To my mind, the Accurate Molds 31-185J is about the most that a .30-30 can handle. It feeds well in a M94. If you order one, specify your alloy and the diameter that you want. My favorite. Having mentioned it before, I'll stand aside. Enjoy your Ranger - it will get the job done.
    Last edited by Bill*B; 11-02-2014 at 11:01 PM.

I have one 30 cal mould. It fits all my needs from 30wcf to 300 WM
    Next summer gonna paper patch it, to see if I can get it to go faster than 2500fps, which Ive already done

That be the Ranch Dog
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison