MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Muzzleloading BP shotgun...

Boolit Buddy

Muzzleloading BP shotgun...

Found this gen at a LGS for very cheap. They think its a kit gun. I feel its older than a kit gun. Nice engraving and marked "fine twist" on barrels. Beautiful wood on the gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotgun 001.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	119103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shotgun 006.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	119104

Banned
    This season has been my first attempt to dove hunt with a BP SxS ... love it. I would not think a kit used twist barrels unless it was high end. Looks very nice.

Boolit Master
    While I have never built a shotgun, I have assembled rifles using old parts, specifically barrels and locks. Sometimes a rifle with a bad stock can be put back into service with only a new stock. I would imagine a shotgun to be similar. I see quite a few with bad wood, splits, rot, etc. The metal is still in good shape. May be that is what they consider a "kit" gun.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy

Took seven Pheasants so far this season using a 16 bore double bp built in the 1830's. Soooo much fun, Take her out and enjoy that ole' smoke pole ! Jim

Boolit Bub
    i've got a reproduction caplock 10-bore that i use fer ducks, and a 14ga damascus original fer most everything else. don't kill as many, but they taste better. more fun than i ever hoped! got a double flinter i'm trying to get smokin' and a 24ga flint trade gun fer competition and rabbits--both recent--and an over/under .44/20ga that needs a bit of work (remember "paints-his-shirt-red"?) think i got 'em surrounded! anybody that thinks muzzies are a handicap needs to take one hunting. they'll bring home the bacon, and give ye back the thrill of the sport.
    mind yer topknots!
    windy

My cousin had one of those back in the 70's. He used newspaper for wadding to keep the pressure down. They were so abundant back then. I think he paid $100 for his brand new. Have fun because it is.

Boolit Buddy
    Pleas excuse me if this is a stupid question but I have very little BP experience and I'm curious. What keeps the shot from rolling out of the barrels of BP shotguns?

Boolit Bub
    An appropriate sized wad.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Mike View Post
    Pleas excuse me if this is a stupid question but I have very little BP experience and I'm curious. What keeps the shot from rolling out of the barrels of BP shotguns?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...n-by-V-M-Starr
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Great article by a good gunsmith!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.