Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shoulda brought a cast boolit rifle!

Boolit Master

Shoulda brought a cast boolit rifle!

Elk hunting Sunday it was kind of a practic run in a new area. My hunting partner was supposed to be at my place with horse trailer at 6:30. My elk area is only about 10 minutes down the road so we left late. Finally shows up at 8:15 with locks a friend put all over the trailer..no key. Bust out the bolt cutters and finally get loaded by 8:30. Unload and get to the access and unload to find the panhards are missing. I have 550 cord in my pack so let's go!

His his horses have been pigging out in my pasture and not worked all summer. See where this is going?

Horses are a pain all the way up but about 12 miles and 2500ft later we tie the horse to glass. Walked about a mile seeing nothing but I decide to go up a little hill for a last look. Sure enough I see a dozen elk bedded down about 1,000y. Back off make a sneak and come over a little nub at 90y from the main group. Well there were about 25 total with 6 bulls and one nice one at 40y. Never knew I was there until I picked out the largest cow and sent her to heaven.

i just wish I had my 357Herret, 38-55, 45-70 or .375H&H with me instead of my .300WBY!

The terrain and weekend told me long shots...and I get a 90y gimme. But it was still a blast. Quartered and strapped it all down then walked out leaded my mare. Here is my mug with the cow. About 400lbs meat with femurs still in must have been around 700lbs. Nice when you get time to pick and choose.

Banned

Lotta good eating there. Congrats!

Great story. Glad it all worked out with the late start and all.
    I went and done the same as you, brought my 300 Win mag when I could've dropped my moose with my Win 88/308 with 200gr cast.
    You got yourself some fine meat there, congrats!

Congratulations! Very good eating you got there.
    1,000,000 peso man

Boolit Man
    Outstanding! Congratulations.
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Boolit Master

Good story that had a slow start with the locked up trailer but had a very good ending which is what good stories are made of. Congratulations.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! Would have been even sweeter with a CB.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

YEP. Cast would have been sweet, but she's gonna taste just as good anyway. Congrats!

Boolit Master

The .300 weatherby is never a mistake. I enjoy casting, I want to hunt more with cast this year, but, really, I'm perfectly cool with using jacketed bullets on critters. Elk hunts don't come every day. Elk meat is serious business. No shame in defaulting to the most practical rifle when going after elk meat.

Nice cow, BTW. I wish I had one like her in my freezer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    The .300 weatherby is never a mistake. I enjoy casting, I want to hunt more with cast this year, but, really, I'm perfectly cool with using jacketed bullets on critters. Elk hunts don't come every day. Elk meat is serious business. No shame in defaulting to the most practical rifle when going after elk meat.

Nice cow, BTW. I wish I had one like her in my freezer.
    The .300WBY is my not messing around rifle. Since we have 3 elk tags this year I really needed on in the freezer ASAP, and some of my cast loads haven't being coming together this year. My .300WBY load is a 165g jacketed over H1000V @3275fps. Sited in at 250y zero I'm point and shoot to 350y on elk and comfortable to 600

Glad your hunt came out well, notwithstanding the aggravation of the normally expexted headaches.
    Your story offers a good reminder for every one.....
    Always have access to "spare keys".
    Permanent fixtures in my truck, barn, and home... 36" bolt cutters.
    Smaller cutters MIGHT suffice, but the larger ones are insurance.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Banned

Beautiful!

Yep, not a CB kill but your 300 Wby worked and that's what counts. Enjoy that meat!