WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you pick up my buddy's wheel weights from the road?

Moderator Emeritus

I learned to use good solid straps to secure loads when I was following my boss from the appliance store out to my house to deliver a scratch and dent fridge I had bought cheap(manufacturers would say take them out of service and use them for parts, I got all new appliance that way). He used some ratty old strap with tears that I questioned as he tightened it. Halfway there a wind gust caught it and snapped the strap and lifted the fridge up and out of the truck box(Ford F350 with a flatbed with walls) and dropped it on the road, Cart is was on snagged the bumper of the truck for a bit so all it did was slide down the road but I had to dodge it. he owed me a new fridge, and was screaming and hollering until I reminded him that I mentioned the strap was torn in half already... he could only blame himself for using poor equipment to fasten a load and it cost him $500 to buy me a new fridge just like the one I was getting for $200

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Picked up a partial roll of 1/2" red pex this morning on the centerline. Is it yours?

Rats! I just had to buy a roll of 1/2" red Pex..

Boolit Buddy
    I had a friend who picked a 16ga pump shotgun up off a dirt road.

Boolit Master
    Tell your buddy I'll trade him a partial roll of red pex and some WW's I found on the road for that found 16ga.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Sorry, no sympathy from me. If he failed to secure his load badly enough that they dumped out on the road, that's too bad. People get killed by **** falling off of trucks and trailers all the time. Almost happened to me a couple of times, once was a friggin' door that flew out of a pickup and smashed my windshield. I see no humor in this. Secure your load!
    +1
    Taking corners or accelerating at a safe speed wont tip over buckets of WW's on a flat surface. (read SAFE speed)
    And even if they did, his tailgate would've stopped them from falling out, right? This was a truck, correct? He didn't have them on the roof of his amc gremlin or something, right?

Like others have said, your friend is lucky no one got hurt from an accident. Unsecured loads are no laughing matter.
    Had he been in front of me I would've stopped & taken them all, cussing his ignorance the whole time I picked them up. Had he come back I would've told him the same....if I spent 15 minutes in the middle of an intersection picking up his mess before he returned I would've told him sorry about your bad luck & to go pound sand.

Banned
    what a bummer!

Heh, I was on a highway north of Syracuse once and came up on this mouthbreathing yokel in a pickup with a big load of aluminum siding in the back. The siding was all draped over the cab, and had a single rope across the middle.

As I went by him, I guess he copped an attitude about getting passed. I heard his carb kick into passing gear as I went by, and I looked in my mirror just in time to see the ENTIRE load of siding lift out of the truck and explode into the air, whipping and twisting around like dozens of giant razor blades!

I LOL'd and just kept on going, I'm sure that entire load was ruined. Idjit. But I'm sure he swore it was MY fault because I passed him, probably still thinks so.

Boolit Master

Have your friend make a tailgate for the truck. **** that falls out can cost him a littering ticket

Boolit Mold
    It doesn't make sense, BOTH buckets full of wheel weights, BOTH weighing 50-100 lbs each, BOTH sitting on a flat surface maybe, if were presuming they were in the back of a truck. And BOTH,,,"UNKNOWINGLY" tipped over. I can understand them sliding completely out if there were no tailgate. And if they were in a truck with a tailgate, nothing should have been lost. If they were inside the cab of any vehicle, nothing should have been lost. Something is not adding up! Were the wheel weights not his? Did they belong to you, DukeinFlorida? I'd be suspicous at this point! We haven't heard any story from PeeWee since he was the one transporting the goods. I'm guessing they were not PeeWees', and there was never any mess in the road.
    Last edited by TiteWadShooter; 11-02-2014 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Master

Kind of makes you wonder what all was in the back of his pickup that he didn't raise the tailgate. The first time I managed to score several buckets of WW, I just put them in the back of my truck and started home. Wasn't driving too fast but came up on a situation that required firm application of the brakes. Those buckets slid forward and hit the front of the bed right behind the cab. Scared the ++++ out of me. A thousand lbs of WW makes an impression. Nothing turned over and those buckets were still crammed up against the front of the bed when I got home.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I think the OP is That is what I think and sticking to it, .
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Master

Don't know morally what I would have done. I will say I did spill a bucket in the back of my pickup years ago. Fortunately I didn't loose them, but what a mess!

If I had been the one to pick up his mess yeah I'd let him have the WW after he reimbursed me for my time.

I'd have layed on the horn and tried to flag him down. I'd then have picked up the weights and returned them if I could have. I woudlnt have asked anything in return. Those that would want reimbursement for their time or effort are just the type of folks I avoid.

If it aint been said yet "Finders keepers losers weepers" Sry had to.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Kind of makes you wonder what all was in the back of his pickup that he didn't raise the tailgate. The first time I managed to score several buckets of WW, I just put them in the back of my truck and started home. Wasn't driving too fast but came up on a situation that required firm application of the brakes. Those buckets slid forward and hit the front of the bed right behind the cab. Scared the ++++ out of me. A thousand lbs of WW makes an impression. Nothing turned over and those buckets were still crammed up against the front of the bed when I got home.
    That could be very deadly.I had coil of metal break free -crushed a tool box ,knocked back glass out,and dented cab whils slamming on brakes.

Boolit Master

NO sympathy here....sounds more like and un-secured load that could have caused an accident.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    I've been waiting for that rascal to come by the house again. What's up? Can you give me a little heads up next time? It's the not knowing that's wearing me out.

Boolit Buddy
    We are constantly picking things off on the side of the road I sure would like to return some of the stuff I pull out of the semi tires

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12