Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: post 64 winchester any good

Boolit Master

post 64 winchester any good

was offered a possible post 64 Winchester 94 for under 5 bills, are they worth it? all i ever hear about are pre 64's

In Remembrance
    I don't have a problem with them as far as using them. I just picked up a 68 model today, that seems to be plenty ok. I actually bought it to get the old redfield peep off of it and switch with my 53 model though.

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    was offered a possible post 64 Winchester 94 for under 5 bills, are they worth it?

IMO that's a high price for one in primo condition - should be more like $350.

In Remembrance
    In this area, you won't see many primo lever actions in the 450 range these days. At the gunshow today the very cheapest one I saw was a 71 vintage for 275, it could have been bought for 250 but appearance wise it was pretty rough.

Boolit Buddy

I have a "pre" and have had and sold two "posts". Accuracy wise, there wasn't enough difference to matter.

1963 and older: Best in the west
    1964-1980: Good working rifles, rattles a bit, I got my last one for $200, Id not pay over $400 for one today,
    A (JM) Marlin is a better choice
    1981-2006: JUNK
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    it is owned by a gunsmith, i haven't seen it but i have met the owner(he is my GS's mentor) think the price was 425.00 and was told it was in very good condition, i dont even remember the caliber, i heard Winchester and lever action then brain quit workin

If all you are looking for is a lever action rifle for hunting use, think about a Marlin 336. If you are thinking about the Winchester as a collector, it is not worth $425 regardless of the condition. Understand, there is nothing wrong with the Winchester, it is just that there are better guns on the market.

Boolit Master
    I collect Winchesters mostly 94's I have 1 post 64. it is a ok carbine shoots good taken a few deer. never had any problems that others talk about. same thing for my wife's post 64, in fact I am looking for a post 64 in .32 w.spl. also would like to find a 64a.

I think at your price that mite be a little strong.

I am old enough to remember well the great cry of anguish that went up in 1964 when Winchester changed some manufacturing techniques to reduce the cost of making their firearms. The only comparable public outcry was when Coca-Cola removed the traditional Coke and replace it with the new Coke.

The truth of the matter is the changes Winchester made never had any effect on the accuracy or utility of their firearms. They continued to do what Winchester firearms always did. It was just a clash of tradition vs. modern manufacturing. There really never way a question of accuracy, reliability or utility.

I still like the old stuff, because I am old, but have enough reality in me to understand that it is just a preference and nothing of substance.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    it is owned by a gunsmith, i haven't seen it but i have met the owner(he is my GS's mentor) think the price was 425.00 and was told it was in very good condition, i dont even remember the caliber, i heard Winchester and lever action then brain quit workin
    have one marlin 336 in .30-30 and a 39a in .22lr, i just have a thing for lever guns, i drool on my buddy's savage 99, it was appraised at 1200 bucks, my gs knows this and has tried to dell me Henry's(i was broke) and other in the past

Boolit Grand Master

They are serviceable and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. You should be able to find a decent pre64 for around 500 though. I let mine go to a member here for around that. Wish I still had it. It had a peep sight on it and was superb. I miss it. If I didn't have a decent post 64 and a few marlins, I'd hunt me another one down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    They are serviceable and if you're happy with it, that's all that matters. You should be able to find a decent pre64 for around 500 though. I let mine go to a member here for around that. Wish I still had it. It had a peep sight on it and was superb. I miss it. If I didn't have a decent post 64 and a few marlins, I'd hunt me another one down.
    it will depend on the wife and i will have to see it first

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 1970 model 94 in 30-30 and have no issues with it. Nice blue, walnut stock. No unsightly safety on the side and groups well. Drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Shoots cast lead boolits as well as factory ammo. But I don't think I would pay $500.00 for one .
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

I have mostly post-64's but they're all good guns. 450 would be a decent price around here for an 80% or better gun. Pre-64 is nice if a bit overrated IMHO but there's something about the pre-war guns that just feels different to me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    For a 94, the post-63's are not as bad a drop in quality as the M70's. They are not bench rest rifles, or known for accuracy.

Winchester made an attempt to out-cheap Remington. They succeeded to a certain extent, but one will note that the current line of M70's are basically a return to the Pre-64 design.

I have been able to find early 94's at sub-$400 prices from individuals here in SW Idaho. Found a 25-35 rifle made in the early teens for $700 recently. It is the nicest one I have seen in about thirty years. And, NO!, it is not for sale.

Rich

Boolit Master
    $500 or about that is too much for a post 64. Agree though they shoot well enough and are probably strong enough but if you've owned, handled, shot and worked on a bunch of the older 94s, 92s, 95s, 86s, 71s, 73s, 76s then compare to the post-64 94s…. no comparison. Some years of the post-64 94s have had chronic parts breakitis. So disinterested in them I haven't even paid attention to exactly which years. The better, more recent lever guns, in certain models, made under the Winchester or Browning name are those made in Miroku Japan…. IMO
    Last edited by fouronesix; 10-17-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Boolit Mold
    Not trying to come off like a jerk but when did "Pre 64" relate to anything other than the changes to the M70's trigger group? If I ordered a part for my M70 back in 1970 the nice person on the other end of the phone would ask if the gun was Pre 1964. Mine was not but the entire trigger group could be swapped for the old style if you called and ordered the parts so I said yes.

I understand there was a race to the bottom in quality to be cheap but that was well after 1964.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Boats View Post
    Not trying to come off like a jerk but when did "Pre 64" relate to anything other than the changes to the M70's trigger group? If I ordered a part for my M70 back in 1970 the nice person on the other end of the phone would ask if the gun was Pre 1964. Mine was not but the entire trigger group could be swapped for the old style if you called and ordered the parts so I said yes.

I understand there was a race to the bottom in quality to be cheap but that was well after 1964.

Post 64 94's had rattles, non forged carrier and the receivers would not blue worth a hoot.
    Pre 64's just the opposite. I have a 94 made in 43' and one made in 73'.
    Not a nickles difference in the way they group but the pre 64 feeds much better and does not rattle, blueing is awesome.
    Around these parts post 64's in vgc go for about $275-$300.
    Lab

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Post 64 94's had rattles, non forged carrier and the receivers would not blue worth a hoot.
    Pre 64's just the opposite. I have a 94 made in 43' and one made in 73'.
    Not a nickles difference in the way they group but the pre 64 feeds much better and does not rattle, blueing is awesome.
    Around these parts post 64's in vgc go for about $275-$300.
    Lab
    Interesting. The 94 was never my favorite of the lever guns but history shows me to be in the minority on that one. I have owned a few and always counted myself lucky they were all quite nice.

Every maker had their ups and downs. Anything one might find around here for $300.00 is going to be a total rat bag. All of the nice ones have been snapped up and what is left is not pretty. I had a Buffalo Bill commemorative that had been worked over and it was quite nice. I was dumb for ever selling.

Sorry for the derail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast