Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Marlin M 57

In Remembrance

Marlin M 57

Ok guys anybody shoot a model 57 marlin.
    Are they any good.

I picked up one today. I didn't need it, certainly wasn't looking for one, but it is different, so had to have it. One of those impulse things that happens to me sometimes. lol
    It is the 22 mag and it sure has a short lever throw.

Also picked up a new savage 22lr, that I also don't need, don't even like most new guns, but it is left handed. lol

Boolit Master
    I've got one in 22lr. Very accurate. The folks in my area that were kicking butt in the lever rifle silhouette matches all used 57's. Pretty easy to get a decent trigger and as long as the mechanism isn't wore out you should have a good shooter for lots more years.

Back in the early/mid-1960's, when I was still in the military, I traded for a fairly new Model 57M (.22Mag) - which turned out to be plenty accurate on the twilight Fort Bragg rabbits I used to bag along the sides of the dirt roads through & around the drop zone.

I liked the idea of being able to cycle the action by merely flexing my fingers, w/o changing my grip.

In Remembrance
    This one just says marlin model 57. There is no m after it, but under it is says cal 22 magnum.
    I have an idea it has been restocked, at the very least redone as it is too nice for the condition of the rest of it appearance wise. Mechanically it seems sound.
    This thing has one hole in the front and one in the back on the reciever, did they make a scope base that went to it?

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one in .22 WMR with a broken firing pin for a very short while in 83 or 84 before I went into the Navy, so I can't say for sure how they shot; but odds are a Marlin .22 will shoot pretty good.

I think the later versions had scope mounting grooves, I don't remember about the one I had.

There probably were scope bases made for them, but finding one fifty to sixty years later -- Good Luck.

I think there were three versions of that basic rifle: the .22 LR, the .22 WMR, and the centerfire one in .256 Win Mag and .30 Carbine. I can't remember any other calibers offered in Marlins hammerless lever actions.

Robert

In Remembrance
    From the little research I have done the 256 and the 30 cals were levermatics, but were a model 62. From what I am gathering the weaver scope base is readily available. It must fit something else too. lol

Apparently the 22 mag version came out in 59 and was the first 22 mag rifle on the market, and it looks like they quit buildong them in 69.
    The way the stock fits me and my eyes, the irons are almost usless, so I will be getting a scope mounted to see how well I like it.

IIRC, the .22WMR version was referred to as the 57M only in the catalog - and both the CF & the RF versions were referred to as Levermatics by Marlin.

In Remembrance
    From what info I have found, some of the 22 mags were just marked Model 57 while others were Model 57-m. It apparently depended on when it was built, but so far I dont know if the earlier ones had the m designation or the later ones.