Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: I had the strangest thing happen today

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I had the strangest thing happen today

Bit of a back story: Once upon a time I fleeced a coworker out of a essentially brand new 336 in .30-30. He fired all of 16 rounds through it and didn't like the recoil. I needed another .30-30 like a hole in the head but 2 full boxes of leverution ammo, a hard case, scout mounts, hammer extension and a 336 for the princely sum of $200 is hard to walk away from.

Fast forward to this summer. My brother is heading up to the family cabin in the adirondacks and stops on the way. He brings our father's .35 rem 336 which I had sent to him after Dad died. Guess what, no ammo. He didn't realize that .35 rem ammo isn't exactly falling off of trees. Seeing as I have about a zillion rounds of .30-30 and a couple rifles, we commence to trade.

So I begged, bought, cast and borrowed some components. I still had dies. I head out to the range today and during the drive the lever had unlocked slightly. I couldn't for the life of me unlock the lever or close it. It was literally frozen solid. I sat there scratching my head and was just about to start disassembly when it occurred to me the carrier might be binding the bolt. I gave the top of the receiver a hard smack with a stick and darned if it didn't work, everything is fine.

I have never for the life of me seen that happen before. Anyone else?

PS: Say what you will about MG rifling, that .30-30 is a bell ringer at 100 yards with the lyman 311291 and a max load of IMR 3031.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 10-12-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Very nice trade! I am sure when you take the .35 down for a cleaning you will find what caused the problem.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

In Remembrance
    And your dads rifle to boot. Have you always taken advantage of your coworkers and brother like this. lol

Boolit Master
    Nice acquisition!!

Boolit Master
    Very good trade. Maybe some day I'll find a good .35rem. also!

Boolit Grand Master

I've always preferred the straight stocked guns myself. You definitely traded up. Good job sir.

Boolit Buddy
    I too love the straight stock and would have traded on that basis alone.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Buddy
    I would just remove the stocks do a basic action disassembly and clean everything including the mag tube and spring. lightly oil. I bet it works like new for along time.

Boolit Master
    If it does it again, lightly push open loading gate and see if the rim of a round from magazine has slipped over nose of carrier.

Boolit Mold
    While you are checking things take a good luck at the plug (follower) on the mag tube spring. If the plug is worn it could allow itself to extend into the receiver farther than it should. This can result in blocking the carrier from returning to its lowered position. You gun appears to be old enough to have a metal plug and they can cause this issue.

If the plug is found to be the issue then make sure you only replace it with a metal plug of the same vintage. They changed a bit over the years but your gun should be able to use any of the stamped steel plugs. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    If it does it again, lightly push open loading gate and see if the rim of a round from magazine has slipped over nose of carrier.
    It was unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by .45colt View Post
    I would just remove the stocks do a basic action disassembly and clean everything including the mag tube and spring. lightly oil. I bet it works like new for along time.
    I was taking it out to shoot after having completely disassembled and cleaned it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 10-19-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Boats View Post
    While you are checking things take a good luck at the plug (follower) on the mag tube spring. If the plug is worn it could allow itself to extend into the receiver farther than it should. This can result in blocking the carrier from returning to its lowered position. You gun appears to be old enough to have a metal plug and they can cause this issue.

If the plug is found to be the issue then make sure you only replace it with a metal plug of the same vintage. They changed a bit over the years but your gun should be able to use any of the stamped steel plugs. Good luck

Interesting and it makes sense because it describes the condition, carrier failing to drop. I'll check it out, thanks.

I picked up a 1950 Waffle Top 336A 35 Rem for 400 out the door here in Ca. I never would have thought I would see a 35 Rem here in Southern Ca. but it was in dang near perfect condition, It was a safe queen in its former life

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    Interesting and it makes sense because it describes the condition, carrier failing to drop. I'll check it out, thanks.
    For lack of a better word the flanged lip at the back of the follower becomes worn and is able to extend into the frame further than it should interfering with the carrier.

Boolit Bub
    Gotta love the 35 Remington. I was out to the range today and cranked off a few rounds loaded with a ranch dog 190 grain and RE7. Only 2 inches low from my POA and zero for the factory Hornady I buy whenever I can just to have some brass at the end of it all. The rifle was a Christmas present decades ago and has the gold Medallion. I'll never get rid of it and will pass it down to my daughter.

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done, looks like a keeper. Awesome cartridge to boot. I think you should hide that rifle in Texas just in case your brother wants it back. I'll PM you shipping instructions for a safe depository.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.