Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 308 Suppressor for Cast Boolits

Boolit Master

308 Suppressor for Cast Boolits

I have done searches on this site and across the interweb and am coming up with very little. I am wondering what "user serviceable" 308 suppressors are out there. I would like to shoot full power cast 308 loads through a suppressor and am interested in a take apart model for the requisite cleaning that will come with shooting cast boolits. I am currently waiting for my first suppressor. Should be here in a couple months. It's a Liberty Mystic. It is rated for subsonic 308 but not full power, though it is rated for full power 300 Blackout which is the main reason I got it. It is user serviceable and while I'm sure it will handle 308 if it is loaded equivalent to the Blackout, I want to be able to load the 308 to as close to its full potential that I can with cast boolits. I appreciate any input.

Huntertown Arms makes a 7.62 user serviceable with QD

http://www.huntertownarms.com/k762ak.php

shark makes user serviceable 7.62 can with thread mount
    http://www.sharksuppressors.com/Catalog.aspx
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

Thanks Artful. I'll check them out. Boy, Shark sure is proud of their models. Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Boolit Grand Master
    Too pricey for me. Any others a bit more "reasonable" that are user servicesble?

Boolit Buddy
    Coastal suppressors

petroid, I don't own either of them - Huntertown is not known for being the quietest but "good value for money", I have heard a shark and it sounded about like the Thunderbeast it was up against but I wasn't shooting my AAC Cyclone alongside of either of them. Both sounded good.

Remember you get what you pay for often times in silencer technology - just like in optic's.
    I consider Silencer/Suppressor's a life time purchase, and silencer technology changes (for the better) over time.

So like buying PC's or other items in a changing field it's best to buy quality to have long term satisfaction.
    So cry once when you buy or cry everytime you shoot it and think I should have spent a few extra coin.

Coastal Gun Gen 2 LRT

or

Thompson Machine THIRTY .30/7.62 suppressor
    http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=2

I have not heard either one in person.
    So do your research about customer satisfaction.

some links
    http://ncsilencer.com/silencers/3087...-300-blackout/
    http://www.silencershop.com/shop/cat.../7-62mm-rifle/
    http://www.carolinasilencer.com/onli...-rifle-caliber
    http://curtistactical.com/suppressors.html

sound comparison
    http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=716
    Last edited by Artful; 10-13-2014 at 12:10 AM.
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

je suis charlie

And remember the designer of a suppressor has a particular host in mind usually
    so the can designed to work best with subsonic ammo may not be best with supersonic.
    And you need to think about things like size, weight, attachment system
    je suis charlie

These don't disassemble but it lets you see a good comparison video of most popular cans in 7.62
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Too pricey for me. Any others a bit more "reasonable" that are user servicesble?
    RR - NFA Items and reasonable prices don't go together

Starting with the $200 transfer fee.

and one last comparison
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    I have the Huntertown Arms Kestrel .308, and chose it partly due to being able to clean it myself after shooting cast, and partly because I really don't think the others are that different. I say that after test-firing several others side by side with the HTA and also standing off to the side while others fired them. The biggest difference between the various types wasn't so much how quiet they were, but rather the pitch, if that makes sense. I used several types during past jobs, and am happy with my choice. Having said that, my main use is on a heavy barreled bolt-action rifle in .308 that I had cut back to 18" and threaded for it. The difference from before to after cutting is an added 2" OAL and about 5 oz in weight, which really isn't that noticeable to me because I am used to long and heavy rifles. This can is listed at 25 oz and 8 or so inches, so it would not have been my choice if I had been trying to put together a short light weight CQB rifle, but is perfect for what I want. If at all possible, considering the cost and red tape and everything else, see if you can handle or even test-fire a few different cans so you know what you're getting before you spend the big bucks. I just weighed my rifle and it weighs 13.5#, which is heavier than some like, but makes for real steady and comfortable shooting.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Thanks Artful. Some good info to check out.

Lonegun, have you shot the Chameleon? If so, how does the Kestrel compare? Also what is the pitch of the Keatrel compared to others you have shot? Thanks for the info

Boolit Master
    I have heard the Chameleon, but did not get to shoot through it. I couldn't tell the difference between them in the sound, but the weight was very noticeably different. To be honest, I was tempted, but the two things that ended up making the difference to me was the cost and not wanting to have a shiny object on the end of my blued rifle that I intend to camouflage.

The sound of the Kestrel just sounded a little deeper toned to me than most of the others, but in the end, they were so similar that I don't think it made that much difference. Now here is something I just thought of that probably makes a huge difference. When I heard the selection I heard, they were all mounted on an AR-10, but I use mine on a bolt action, and it is definitely quieter on mine due to the lack of action noise. I didn't realize this til 3 weeks ago when we tried my can on mine and then a friends AR-10, just out of curiosity. But now you have me wondering which of these would be best to use on a semi-auto, which I have no clue about. I keep thinking I would like to try to suppress my FAL, but from everything I have read, with the gas system design, I would just be wasting time even trying unless I cut the gas off, in which case I may as well stick with the bolt gun and save the cost of threading.

Boolit Master

Well the action noise is nothing compared to the muzzle blast. Still it's loud when compared to a bolt gun

Boolit Master

This is all good info. I'm going to research more we specially on the hunter town models and the Thompson machine. I'm a long ways off from this but trying to learn. A list of user serviceable suppressors would be a good resource to have for cast boolit shooters

Boolit Master
    You're doing it right, and don't let anyone tell you any different. Here's what I'd recommend. Since you know that you want to do this, just not which specific one yet, start saving your pennies now, and do research. Learn all you can about all the details, advantages, and disadvantages of every single one of these cans. If possible, go see, and especially hear, as many different kinds as possible. This way you KNOW what you hear, and what you like, so you're not sitting there second guessing yourself as you're sliding your money across the counter, cause between the cost, the stamp, etc, none of these are cheap, just some are more expensive than others, and depending on your personal preferences and desires, the extra cost may be very well worth it, or a complete waste of money. Personally, when I started shopping, I automatically eliminated anything I could not disassemble for cleaning by myself due to the vast majority of my shooting being with cast bullets instead of jacketed. 15 years ago, that wouldn't have even been a concern, but I am glad that it is now. At the time, there were few options, and I haven't done much research on it in the past year and a half or so, so some of the new offerings may have what I have beat, cause as the guys above said, this technology is constantly evolving and improving.

Boolit Master
    While I can't speak to the 308 suppressor, I can say your gonna love that Mystic.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    While I can't speak to the 308 suppressor, I can say your gonna love that Mystic.
    Ive heard great things about the mystic and while it may not work supremely for 5.56, it is very versatile in so many other calibers including 300BLK. While I am sure it could handle some mild 308s, no reason to damage it. The Mystic, like the Thompson Thirty, has a monocore instead of a baffle stack. While a benefit of the stack, I suppose, is that you can rotate the blast baffle, I do like the monocore design for simplicity's sake and I feel like the baffles can be machined more intricately and efficiently this way. But I am not an expert. Can anyone chime in on pros and cons of these designs? Thanks

Boolit Master

I'm hearing that baffle stacks are a little more effective at eliminating FRP than monocores but I don't know how much if an issue that would be. It certainly seems like a monocore is newer technology but whether or not it is superior is a toss-up

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    I would agree that most baffle stacks are more efficient/effective, though the margin is quite small over the newer designed mono cores. I would certainly go mono core to make cleaning down the road so much simpler, as they will still come apart easily even when heavily fouled. Personally I am a fan of the Lane products.