Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: can 9mm shell cases be swagged into any other bullet ?

Boolit Master

can 9mm shell cases be swagged into any other bullet ?

i have 40+ thousand 9mm shell cases...

can they be made into brass jacketed j-words for .38 spl.? .40 cal?

Boolit Master
    Yep! I'm unable to paste this morning but look in the Sticky section. It's the fifth one from the top.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Vendor Sponsor

Anything is possible..... well almost when it comes to the 9mm case. I have made bullets from 30 cal to .458s and everything in between with 9mm brass.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    imo 9mm cases are one of the most useful and versatile for making jackets, you can swage them up to 10mm and larger as BT says, and I draw down to make 7mm bullets, and I think you could go all the way to 6.5 if you had the time and energy to do it, lol!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

can 9mm shell cases be swagged into any other bullet ?

See the attached pics for the .357 bullets that I make out of 9mm cases. 180 grain loaded into .357 mag and 156 grain loaded into 38 special.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yruiz View Post
    See the attached pics for the .357 bullets that I make out of 9mm cases. 180 grain loaded into .357 mag and 156 grain loaded into 38 special.
    man those look sweet!!!!

Boolit Master
    here is a 7mm 135gr 8s bullet drawn from 9mm range pickup cases, took me 6 draws and 3 anneals to get them from 0.390 down to 0.280 for swaging:

and to my amazement they actually group fairly well!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

What dies are you making those with? They look great!
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Buddy

Curious as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOcaster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    here is a 7mm 135gr 8s bullet drawn from 9mm range pickup cases, took me 6 draws and 3 anneals to get them from 0.390 down to 0.280 for swaging:

and to my amazement they actually group fairly well!
    6 draws and 3 anneals...now that is commitment!
    Be careful what you aim for, you might hit it! Antipodean Industrial - Home of the G7L projecitles

8mm (.323) 175 gr. from drawn down 9mm cases. I've figured out how to do only one anneal and two draws to get down to .323. I'm starting to think Cane man is a workaholic! Those 7mm bullets look good though. yruiz, those do look good too. If you don't have a 35 caliber rifle, I'd be looking for one to shoot those in, if I was you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sw1 007.jpg  
    Last edited by Prospector Howard; 10-14-2014 at 11:17 PM.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master

My main thought is what size core are you using. More like what dia. core seating punch. I have a .357 Ruger, however a desert eagle is always on the wanted list, those open tips would a nice accessory.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by MOcaster View Post
    I am using a Richard Corbin Walnut Hill 3 die set. My reducing die is also Richard Corbin that reduces the annealed cases to .355. For the 158 grain bullets, I also use the BT Sniper universal notching die.

Boolit Master
    i like challenges and I wasn't sure it could be done, and since it is just a hobby I don't mind all the draws and anneals, in fact I enjoy it as it is relaxing to spend an afternoon working on a batch of swaged bullets! good thing this isn't .223 where you need hundreds or thousands, as I can make a batch of 100 and be good for the year...

Last edited by Cane_man; 10-16-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen, those are nice looking boolits !

Boolit Master

These are some fine examples of Boolits. I am interested in the process. How many are using single stage conversions, Lee or RCBS to make their Boolits? What is the reduction rate? I've researched and have more answers then enough. First .001 or .005 or .01 per step. BT says any things possible. Corbin says I can make what you need, but that takes a lot off time and money.
    Can some of these reducing dies be made on a hobby type lathe? I would surely like to make Boolits like these I even talked too a die maker who flat out said stick with the commercial jackets. I don't want to hijack a Thread so please PM me.
    Bill

Boolit Master
    yes, all of the dies can be made with a hobby lathe... the draws were done on a 2 ton arbor press as imo the forces are too great for a reloading press... I have documented all the answers to your questions with pictures and construction drawings in my 30 Cal Die Making thread... at some point you just gotta stop thinking and start doing and see what happens, experience is the best teacher!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    yes, all of the dies can be made with a hobby lathe... the draws were done on a 2 ton arbor press as imo the forces are too great for a reloading press... I have documented all the answers to your questions with pictures and construction drawings in my 30 Cal Die Making thread... at some point you just gotta stop thinking and start doing and see what happens, experience is the best teacher!
    #68 on your thread shows some interfering information.
    PM. Sent
    Bill

Boolit Master
    and notice how the draws get exponentially smaller! nobody told me that I just tried different things until it worked... as the material gets thinner from repeated draw it gets more difficult to draw it down

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    My main thought is what size core are you using. More like what dia. core seating punch. I have a .357 Ruger, however a desert eagle is always on the wanted list, those open tips would a nice accessory.
    Bill

The core swage die is .318 and i use the core swage external punch to seat the cores in the 9mm jackets sized down to .355.