WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: skinner peep sights

Boolit Bub

skinner peep sights

yea im looking at getting a peep sight for my modle 94 has anyone installed the skinner and do you like it

Boolit Bub
    i use a set on my marlin guide gun and like them very much.john

Boolit Grand Master

Boooo, this thread is about a Winchester so I can't post pics of my Marlins wearing Skinners

I love them. Their only drawback is they are not field adjustable. So you tailor them to a particular load and learn your holdovers.

I have four Skinner Low Pros and a Skinner Express, all on Marlins. I love them.
    Vietnam Veteran (68-69), NRA Life Member

I put a Skinner Express on my Henry 44. Way better than the factory sights, especially if you wear bifocals.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. -- John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    looking at getting a peep sight for my modle 94 has anyone installed the skinner and do you like it
    Do I like it? No ... no elevation or windage capability on the sight. Buy a Williams
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Do I like it? No ... no elevation or windage capability on the sight. Buy a Williams
    Yes, there is both windage and elevation capability. The stem is your elevation adjustment. And there is an Allen screw for windage adjustment. The brass piece is the one that slides for windage.

Now if you're talking field adjustability that's different. But to say you can't adjust them at all is false.

Boolit Master
    I have five of them on rifles I own. They are rugged very nice looking and easy to use. I highly recommend them.

I have several Skinner sights on Marlin 1894's. Also have a couple on Winchester 94 Big Bore's. They are a quality made product and very adjustable. With a little practice they are even "field adjustable" for elevation. I am not sure, but I bet the ones for Winchester 94's could be made to work on older Winchesters just by drilling and tapping the recievers. Check out Andy's websight at skinnersights.com. Good stuff. JW

Boolit Master
    One is on my Xmas wish list for my Mossberg 464. Probably will be a gift from me to me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the skinner "black gold" which looks like the alaskan above on my 45-70 marlin. Well made...

Boolit Grand Master

"Black Gold" is an option. The three styles all have a name and you can get them all in "black gold".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    "Black Gold" is an option. The three styles all have a name and you can get them all in "black gold".
    Ok, let me be more specific... Skinner express black gold option with a brass front blade to match cut to about 3/8" height.

Boolit Buddy
    I like that he finally made one designed for the win94, and I'm sure its a solid piece, but i don't like the mount design... With the mount plate needed to space it up to clear the bolt, it ends up sitting awfully high, and that plate is less than streamlined... It has a high, bulky, "I'm gonna snag on everything" look.

Not really his fault though, and he did basically all you can do with the provided mount holes/frame design... Its just not for me.

I ordered the the "reliable" model made for the marlin 336 etc. Gonna radius the bottom to fit the win94 bolt top and mount it directly to the back/top of the bolt.

No, I'm not worried about the sight technically not being solid to the barrel. A few guys at a couple other places online have done this with Williams WGRS sights with good results; as long as your bolt closes solid, its a repeatable "solid" sight location.

That gets it down low profile for this brush gun. And as an added bonus, in that spot it should be just a tad higher than the stock semi buckhorn rear; the stock front sight should be 99% perfect height, don't think I'll need to change it.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"