RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2F or 3F in a 50

Boolit Buddy
    Not an experienced shooter here, but I use 3f in everything, including .54
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Master
    I shoot muzzleloaders from 45 through 69 calibers. I try both FF and FFF blackpowder in most all when working up the most accurate load and use the powder and load that is the most accurate. However, during this testing I've found that is FF is usually a little cleaner than FFF.

Boolit Master
    i shoot 50 gr 3f in my lyman gpr with patch round ball. won many 25 and 50 yd, matches with it went to 55 gr 3f for 100 yd.

Boolit Master

The first batch of Elephant powder that came into the country burned like Sam's club charcoal in my guns. I had bought a case of it and burned it up in shotguns. After the first batch it was very good powder but the damage to their reputation was done. The only ones who would shoot it were shotgun shooters looking for the cheapest powder out there and a few who tryed it and found the following batches were good.
    When I was shooting mostly caplock shotguns I went through phases where I shot ffg for a while then would shoot fffg. I found that I could get better than a year from a set of nipples with ffg, but had to replace them beforethe Fall match schedule started. More pressure, more erosion to the nipple.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I had one bad lot of Elephant. It had been very good in the previous case, but the new case just plain wouldn't shoot. In one of my most accurate rifles, it wouldn't stay in six inches at 25 yards. I called Petrochemical, and they had another case coming free of charge that day. They advised lawn fertilizer. We used it in salute cannons on the 4th of July.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I shoot muzzleloaders from 45 through 69 calibers. I try both FF and FFF blackpowder in most all when working up the most accurate load and use the powder and load that is the most accurate. However, during this testing I've found that is FF is usually a little cleaner than FFF.
    That should be opposite in my observation.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Yea, I think one F too many in the wrong place.

Boolit Master
    I use 3F in my .50 cal rifle mostly because I don't want to require several powder flasks, especially when hunting, and so my .44/.45 cal pistols NEED 3F.

I use Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 powders, and 70 grns seems to be the ticket with a .490" RB and 0.016" pillow ticking patch. It also showed great promise with the 320 grn REALs I shot, also with 70 grns of powder.

Instead of considering Swiss try Olde Eynsford. It performs on the same level as Swiss and Triple 7 but is far cheaper and made by Goex to compete with Swiss.

Olde E is certainly cleaner the Pyrodex, but what isn't? I hate that stuff!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longone View Post
    So I ask you, when you are shooting a 50 cal ( I have a Hawken) do you use FF or FFF when using a .490 ball? And while we are at it how about a REAL boolit? Now mind you I am only shooting paper @ 50 and 100 yds.

Thanks, Longone
    If you have pre-conceived notions or simply like to parrot a mantra, why ask this type question in the first place.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    And that should be opposite in my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    If you have pre-conceived notions or simply like to parrot a mantra, why ask this type question in the first place.
    If that is something that you find offensive I suggest you take a walk away from you computer and go outside and take in some fresh air.
    Get a grip, life is too short.

Longone
    Last edited by Longone; 10-13-2014 at 11:06 PM.

.I've used both in 50&54 cal. 2f worked better in faster twists(1-48 in) . 3f burned cleaner in 1-60 & slower. In my TC Hawken with Green Mountain barrel ( 1-70 twist) 55gr. of 3f=80gr. of 2f.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    Well, my dad's been burning charcoal longer than I've been alive, and he always used FFF Goex in his 45 and his 54. Never had an issue with either, and I've seen him hit deer at a measured 300+ yards with the 54.

Myself, I use FFF Goex in my 50 Hawkin and 99 times out of 100, the gun shoots better than I can.

I will try some out tomorrow. I cast some lead balls and a minnie from Lee and will light them off with FFF. Also found a Lyman muzzle loading handbook at a G/S and they list FFF for every conceviable combination out there. It's gonna be a smoke filled day.

Longone

Boolit Master
    Not to sound absolutely absurd here but have you read the owners manual? I'll bet there are suggested loads in it.

Boolit Master
    3 fffG in everything.
    Fly

Boolit Master

I shoot FFFG in everything I own including the 54s.

I have a bunch of FFG I need to get shed of, so I guess this is going to be the year of FFG powder behind everything including the 50 cal. Scout Pistola. I even plan to run it in the 45 where I am going to try the 255 grain 45 Long Colt boolit. Yes barrel is that oversized. Did get some 0.451 RBs and a mold to make more of the same. Plan is to use that boolit to make it into a 45-60 "Light".

I have Elephant and Goex and really find the only difference is the Elephant seems to be a bit "weaker".
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-30-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with the FFFG crowd. I don't shoot much black any more and all I have right now is FFFG. When I did shoot a lot though I used mostly FFFG in everything up to 12 ga.

I tried FFg in muzzleloading rifles of .45 and .58 cal. and 12 ga., and in my .45-70 with standard weight boolits of 385 to 405 grs. I found I got less fouling and better trajectory using FFFG so stuck with it. If I recall, the FFG I tried was Curtis and Harvey if that makes a difference. According to the Lyman Black Powder Reloading Manual it takes more Curtis and Harvey than G-O with any given ball or boolit to reach the same velocity. Regardless, I always had better results using FFFG.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Preference in powder choices. 2-FFG verses 3-FFFG for rifle. It's what you get use too using.

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Not to sound absolutely absurd here but have you read the owners manual? I'll bet there are suggested loads in it.
    Yes sir I have, T/C manual only powder listed is FF. It's when I went to a gun store that the clerk mentioned folks at his club were very fond of FFF, that's what prompted the question for me to see what other folks were partial to.

Longone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast