Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 crimp question

Yes, that's right. But if you take out the collet and look at it, in many rifle calibers (I haven't seen them all, but on all I've seen) the collet has an edge at the top to apply the actual crimp, and a larger neck sizing section below it that's primarily there to straighten out any bulges. In some cases that might size down larger than standard diameter boolits, as the pistol dies most definitely do. It hasn't been a problem for me with the rifle dies.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    I have crimped above the cannelure using Remington JSP bullets for years to get them to run through a Marlin. It's no problem really, I'm crimping just at the junction of the ogive & this has worked for me for a long time.
    The 95 action length won't let us use some of the longer bullets unless they are seated deeper.
    I've even read of some deep seating 500gr bullets in the Marlin & getting good results.
    When deep seating you need to reduce your powder charge as seating deep decreases powder space in the case.
    Good luck, let us know how it's going.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

#46-415V has a .09" long front band, which is long enough that it enters the Marlin's tight throat. It's undersized (.456"-diameter) in order to do that. It sounds as if powder coating has increased the diameter enough to hang things up.
    It's possible that running the boolit nose first into a .455 sizing die just enough to reduce the forward .05" of the front band will solve the problem.

Boolit Grand Master

I must be in the minority for sure. My first .45-70 was a custom Siamese Mauser conversion and I ran loads as hot as it would take which were somewhat hotter than I could take many of (young and dumb at the time!) and I never crimped a round and never had any trouble with boolits wandering around changing COAL... at least as far as I could tell.

My next .45-70 was a 1970's Marlin 1895 and the story is the same. I never crimped and had no troubles. I have to think neck tension was enough to keep things in place.

I do not have a .45-70 currently or I would go test that out to be sure but I never saw any negative effect of not crimping.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    #46-415V has a .09" long front band, which is long enough that it enters the Marlin's tight throat. It's undersized (.456"-diameter) in order to do that. It sounds as if powder coating has increased the diameter enough to hang things up.
    It's possible that running the boolit nose first into a .455 sizing die just enough to reduce the forward .05" of the front band will solve the problem.
    Thanks Tom! I should have thought of that I used a micrometer and measured the front band. As cast it was looking like .4555. After powder coat it was running a strong .457. I took a piece of sandpaper and took the band down to .456 and it seemed to chamber fine.

Boolit Master
    Ya know, I spend enough time, slugging bores and chambers, buying sizers for the Star and RCBS to the closest 1/2 thou., lubing, sizing to get everything right, use in-line seaters for accuracy.......then I'm going to run it into a die and squash the bullet and case??? C'mon Man!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Ya know, I spend enough time, slugging bores and chambers, buying sizers for the Star and RCBS to the closest 1/2 thou., lubing, sizing to get everything right, use in-line seaters for accuracy.......then I'm going to run it into a die and squash the bullet and case??? C'mon Man!!
    So are you suggesting that I don't crimp? I was under the impression that for a tubular magazine it was paramount to crimp.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevyod View Post
    So are you suggesting that I don't crimp? I was under the impression that for a tubular magazine it was paramount to crimp.
    Of course you crimp those loads in the 45/70(unless it's a single shot) that's what your properly adjusted seating die is for.

Where did all this BS about Lee Rifle FCD's sizing cases come from?

They don't do this!

They have nothing to do with this.

It doesn't work this way.

All it does is crimp the case on the leading edge as the collet is forced into the taper in the die body .

There is no case sizing feature on the Rifle Dies!

The FCD's that can "post size" the case are all for strait wall pistol rounds like .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9MM etc. These dies also Taper Crimp these cases. The entire reason for this function on these rounds is so that they will chamber in any auto pistol.

Dies for Revolver rounds like 38/357, 41 .44 and .45 work the same way except they Roll Crimp instead of taper crimp.

A quick trip to the Lee Website will answer all of your questions about these dies. They are the correct source for this information.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-di...ory-crimp-die/

There is a lot of BS on this subject on the Internet, all you have to do is go to the Lee site and read and re-read the information until you understand it.

That way you don't dub in your "interpretation" of how the system works.

Don't be like the ladies in the E-Surance Commercials on TV.

Learn to understand what you read.

This is the problem here, not the tools.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-17-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Where did all this BS about Lee Rifle FCD's sizing cases come from?

They don't do this!

They have nothing to do with this.

It doesn't work this way.

All it does is crimp the case on the leading edge as the collet is forced into the taper in the die body .

There is no case sizing feature on the Rifle Dies!

The FCD's that can "post size" the case are all for strait wall pistol rounds like .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9MM etc. These dies also Taper Crimp these cases. The entire reason for this function on these rounds is so that they will chamber in any auto pistol.

Dies for Revolver rounds like 38/357, 41 .44 and .45 work the same way except they Roll Crimp instead of taper crimp.

A quick trip to the Lee Website will answer all of your questions about these dies. They are the correct source for this information.

There is a lot of BS on this subject on the Internet, all you have to do is go to the Lee site and read and re-read the information until you understand it.

That way you don't dub in your "interpretation" of how the system works.

Don't be like the ladies in the E-Surance Commercials on TV.

Learn to understand what you read.

This is the problem here, not the tools.

Randy
    Because people who use FCDs on pistols are thinking that it's the same for rifles.

For the record, the pistol style FCD is not necessarily a problem either. it's not the crimping part that sizes your boolits down, it's that doggon carbide ring that the brass passes through. If you use a diamond hone to open that up, then you can crimp to your hearts content without sizing down your boolits inside the case. If you follow the links that W.R Buchanan posted, you will notice the gold colored ring in the bottom of the pistol die? That's the culprit.
    conversely, the in the other link you can see that the design of the die negates the possibility of installing a carbide ring in the first place, and further, the die uses a "collet" feature to apply a crimp much like the Remington factory ammo has on it.

Oh and Randy: Lighten up man. It's an easy mistake to make.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 10-17-2014 at 04:10 PM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    If all you are doing is crimping, then why not crimp with the seating die? Too many drinking the Kool-aid on here.

Boolit Grand Master

I would just like to echo Longbows experience as well. Of course, I'm not shooting full house loads, but I have never had boolit setback ever, and I'm not a big fan of crimping in the first place. There's an aweful lot of boolit in that cartridge to be pushed back.
    That said, I could easily see it if your particular die set doesn't squeeze the brass down as far as mine does.
    I use RCBS and Lee die sets, and they both size the brass the same amount.

Conclusion?
    Shoot more man! Notice what happens when you do, and make changes accordingly!
    There is no rule that says you have to crimp. Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. This is lead. This is BOOLITRY. We don't do things blindly. We do everything for a reason, and we understand what that reason is.
    Have at it! I love the 45-70.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    I think they are suggesting that the collet will squeese the boolit below the raised section that does the crimping.

I think post #17 has it correct. Try one and measure it.

I think the best suggestion here was to trim the case length so the mouth lines up with the crimp groove at the desired C.O.A.L.

Boolit Buddy
    One caution with shortening the case. Depending on your die, you may not be able to adjust it down far enough to crimp a shortened case.

While I like an use Lee FCD on many calibers, I don't think one is necessary to solve your problem. Just seat the bullet deeper and crimp. As long as you are seating into the bullet before the taper starts, you should have no problem. Using almost any smokeless powder, you have a benefit in deep seating in that you make for a more efficient case, just like a 38 special will be more efficient with the same powder charge than a 357. I have seated many big bore rounds and many thousands of 38 special cast bullets where they were crimped somewhere other than the crimp groove.

Question for MT. How hard are you crimping to compress the bullet and how much does it change the diameter of the bullet?

Jackpine

Boolit Buddy
    MT Chambers, are you out there. Did it really compress the bullet, or are your statements just based on speculation?

Tim: I'm down to an even 200, that's lighter than I used to be.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12