MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: BP in the 416 Taylor

BP in the 416 Taylor

Just for S&Gs I tried the 416 today loaded with a duplex load of 8.0gr. IMR4198 and 79gr. FFg KIK. Bullet is the RCBS 350, sized to .416 to fit the throat and gaschecked. Cast from wheelweights and lubed with Bullshop's NASA lube.

This load makes the rifle a great fun to shoot! Tolerable recoil, great big blast and smoke, by duplex loading it I shot all 25 rounds I took without any fouling issues. It made groups about twice the size of my best smokeless loads, or about 1.5 MOA at 200M. Then I tried the 12" plate at 500M and hit it every time after the first ranging shot.

I don't shoot this rifle too terribly often because full loads are pretty brutal. I can load it light with this same RCBS boolit and smokeless, but this black powder load is far more entertaining. Now off to clean the cases....

-Nobade

In Remembrance

I have 2 questions about your load. Was there a gas check used on the boolet? Was a Mag. primer used for ignition of the powders? Sounds like an interesting load. Wonder what Pyrodex "RS" would act like?Robert

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you also have a good load for thin skinned animals!
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I have 2 questions about your load. Was there a gas check used on the boolet? Was a Mag. primer used for ignition of the powders? Sounds like an interesting load. Wonder what Pyrodex "RS" would act like?Robert
    Yes, gascheck was used. I didn't think those boolits with their gascheck shank would work too well without it.

Mag primer isn't needed, but I may have used some. They were the CCI military primers in the white box. I have heard they are the equivalent of mag primers but I am not certain.

I have never tried duplex loading Pyrodex, and don't have any idea how it would respond. I would think it would be OK, but don't know. I would imagine a tightly compressed load of it without the kicker charge would work OK, you would just have to wipe the bore frequently.

Thin skinned animals - yes, 350gr. at around 1500 fps or a little better should work for hunting reasonably well.

-Nobade

In Remembrance

I was just ruminating about using the "RS" Pyrodex powder since I have 2 unopened cans of it sitting in the powder safe, besides I`m out of 2 FFg black.Robert